1998 Nintendo Power 'MARIO' Mew Distribution

Gridelin

I was on the fence for Gen III events, cause I think sabresite said that the ones on the saves are slighted edited (The PKRuS values) as a form of tagging.

In generally I think their origins were Legit, but may have been tagged in some way.

As for those 2, I didn't even realize it. Is there an original thread for the Makuhari Mews?

Odd, I don't remember any PKRuS tagging, but I may be wrong. It can't be all of them that's for sure. In my personal opinion, a PKRuS tag is no big deal and should be put up anyway since they're so rare, even removing the PKRuS first if it's questionable.

I honestly have no idea where the Makuhari Mews came from, I've had them on my PC a long time. Only source I can find is the github, so maybe see what @Sabresite has to say.

Edited by Deoxyz
  • Like 1

@theSLAYER all I can say is that these Pokémon's data is as legal as it gets. If the Event Pokémon in the gallery would all have to be verified it would mean that a lot Events would have to be sorted out. Especially if the rule is that it must come from the original receiver. There's always a risk of something being a perfect hack, that's just the sad reality.

As @ajxpk stated, mistakingly not filtering out perfect hacks is always a potential reality of event preservation. If we are going to be this paranoid, a good amount of the older events we currently have up should come into question. It's hard to say we can 100% verify the lesser documented events. It doesn't make me discount the loads of undocumented PCNYs we have, for example.

We have to consider that when events like this check out legal in comparison to our research data, especially events this rare, they shouldn't be withheld due to the off chance it's a perfect hack. I trust the judgment of Sabresite and ajxpk. Most hackers don't know how to do it right anyway with out some sort of unintentional sign, much less go through that effort for a public hoax.

That's just my two cents anyway, not trying to chew you out or anything. We have a ton of rarities we may never find again, I just don't want to see them held back for lack of perfect documentation.

• Like 1

Frankly do understand that I want to include them, cause to an extent, in my mind "who wants to create perfakt fakes of a dead game", but it'll be nice to include testimony/photos/more details into the post etc.
(which is why for the Classic Mews,  I always link back to the original thread; for more context if people want to find out more)

So for the Gen III saves (the guy's name momentary blanked on me), I probably can add those entries in and remove the PKRuS tagging, as those were probably hacked in. (I think some PKRuS statuses were impossible; I don't know for sure, would like @Sabresite's input on this.)

Not a leaked ROM, it would be a leaked disc since they were distributed using a Nintendo GameCube. There’s in fact a possibility that someone might have stolen one of these discs, I remember some comments on 2ch about that which was about ネガイボシ.

The multi boot ROM is pretty much the one we have. The one from the Wishmaker Disc and it is the whole reason only why we have figured out the algorithm. I can’t imagine Ahiru or anyone else did the same long ago... It must be said that it’s a pretty complicated algorithm and not easy to make hacks without fully understanding it. So everyone who tries to hack a 5th Anniversary Egg will most likely fail.

Trash bytes really tell us a lot about the software and in this case also the party slot it was generated into, kinda similar to the trash bytes of migrated Pokémon in Gen 4. The software builds the Pokémon’s substructure by stacking offset data to the substructure based on the party slot, this way the previously stacked leftover from the ReadFlash subroutine gets overwritten. Unlike in newer events starting with ネガイボシ2 were this was done in WRAM and the offset data is stored as global variables.

Btw. I just noticed that we went Off-Topic. :D 

• 3 months later...
On 4/7/2019 at 1:09 AM, TotalTS said:

The user cabals from imgur seems to have another Mario Mew, just look at the comment section:

https://imgur.com/gallery/NvMiWfW

The user mirrelle, from Australia, says they still have their Mew too.

I'm not sure if it's from this distribution or from the in-person event, but either way it would be good to have an Aussie Mew.

Edited by enVias

6 hours ago, enVias said:

The user mirrelle, from Australia, says they still have their Mew too.

I'm not sure if it's from this distribution or from the in-person event, but either way it would be good to have an Aussie Mew.

Yes, I noticed that and also shared some information about some Mews I found, sadly I don't know how to help to backup those Mews:

https://projectpokemon.org/home/forums/topic/37431-gen-i-v-event-contributions-thread/?do=findComment&comment=243884

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2018 at 3:05 AM, Gridelin said:

I've been in contact with another redditor that had an Australian Cart with an event Mew, but they haven't gotten back to me in a while. 

Did he ever said something? It would be nice to have an Australian event Mew :)

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was talking about this Mew to Gridelin the other day and we realized that the existing scans of this issue of Pokemon Power literally disappeared from the internet. (or at least from what we could find lol) I managed to find someone with this specific Pokemon Power issue and they provided scans for the cover & Mew information. Thanks to @doeiqts on Twitter for the help.

https://imgur.com/a/bbrK16r

Pokemon Power vol 6 Mew page 1.png

Pokemon Power vol 6 Mew page 2.png

Pokemon Power vol. 6 Cover.png

• Like 2
  • V-Wheeeeeel!!! 1

I found this place through a Google search seeing how I could get my gen 1 Luigiw OT Mews (2 of them) into Pokemon Home/Sheild I fortunately had the files backed up to a Mega Memory card, and  know I need a GB Usb to get them to the PC and would happily share them with the community when I do. Just curious about a few things:

1. Would I legally be able to do that with the Mews and/or things like my original starter from Red?

2. My plan was to move the save files to the VC copies of RBY and then use Poke Transporter. Also saw a guide about moving Gb Pokemon to gen 3 using  a Windows program that converts the old pokemon. Curious if one of these methods is better/more "genuine" than the other.

2. If gen 8 Pokemon hold data for when they were caught. Don't see anything in the status screen, and am kinda OCD about that kind of thing. Haha.

They also gave us "certificates of authenticity" for these Mews with the OT ID and I have a picture of myself from the event just to give any credibility to all this. It was an event that took place at a mall in SoCal (most likely Orange County)

E82750E4-07A4-4852-B835-A9D247175885.jpeg

3786775B-58B5-4C93-854F-AC9C30593BBB.jpeg

Edited by Allegedly137
  • Amazed 2
  • Speechless 1

11 minutes ago, Allegedly137 said:

I found this place through a Google search seeing how I could get my gen 1 Luigiw OT Mews (2 of them) into Pokemon Home/Sheild I fortunately had the files backed up to a Mega Memory card, and  know I need a GB Usb to get them to the PC and would happily share them with the community when I do. Just curious about a few things:

1. Would I legally be able to do that with the Mews and/or things like my original starter from Red?

2. My plan was to move the save files to the VC copies of RBY and then use Poke Transporter. Also saw a guide about moving Gb Pokemon to gen 3 using  a Windows program that converts the old pokemon. Curious if one of these methods is better/more "genuine" than the other.

2. If gen 8 Pokemon hold data for when they were caught. Don't see anything in the status screen, and am kinda OCD about that kind of thing. Haha.

They also gave us "certificates of authenticity" for these Mews with the OT ID and I have a picture of myself from the event just to give any credibility to all this. It was an event that took place at a mall in SoCal (most likely Orange County)

Wow this is incredible, awesome that you have it backed up as well; we would love to have the Mew preserved here whenever you can get them to your PC. To try and answer your questions, I'm not sure if any of those methods would work, but your best shot at trying to get a copy of this Mew would be the VC path you laid out, but even if that did work the Mew would not be considered "legitimate" as there is obviously no legitimate way to transfer from the original GameBoy cartridges up to Gen3+

We'd also love to have copies of the certificate of authenticity if you still have one, or even your picture at the event, feel free to blur out anything personal obviously haha!

11 minutes ago, Allegedly137 said:

No. Since gen 1 and gen 2 have no connectivity to gen 3 or higher (disregard Virtual Console), it wouldn't be legal to place them in a more recent game. The most you can be able to do is back them up as .pk1 and .pk2 files on your computer. If they get sent to Virtual Console, SM USUM, or SwSh, they will be considered illegal. They will only be legal if they stay in your original games or as the pk1/pk2 files.

As long as you can archive it, it would be great!

Darn, so  even for my own personal, never-will-trade collection they can’t go any farther than VC due to the transporter knowing it’s not legit, or would it somehow bug out the VC copy?

And if any generous soul would be willing to let me borrow one of these GB USB devices I'd get these guys backed up a lot sooner than later. 😅

1 hour ago, Allegedly137 said:

Darn, so  even for my own personal, never-will-trade collection they can’t go any farther than VC due to the transporter knowing it’s not legit, or would it somehow bug out the VC copy?

And if any generous soul would be willing to let me borrow one of these GB USB devices I'd get these guys backed up a lot sooner than later. 😅

Hey there, it's amazing you backed up those Mews, we would love to preserve them and a copy/scan of the certificate. You can have a copy of the Mews on the VC using PKHeX, but it won't be “legal". You can transfer them further the same way. 

Keep in mind that you can't transfer them to GEN3 as PKHeX emulates Poketransporter + Pokebank, but you can still get them in GEN8

Edited by XxPhoenix1996xX

I have stickers from what is possibly the event, Pokemon League Nintendo Training Tour '99, although the certificates are identical to the ones Bulbapedia shows for "Pokémon 2000 Stadium Tour Mew". It's possible I went to more than one event... They had a photo booth area where I took these photos. Still looking for the certs, thought they'd be with these pictures. I know for certain that I didn't throw them out and will post them once I find them.

pokemonevent1-2.png

pokemonevent2-2.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Amazed 1

3 hours ago, Allegedly137 said:

Actually, if you transfer your save to a VC version, everything except the Mew will be legal (since anything else you could've just obtained in the VC games). You mentioned the capture date. That will be set upon Transporting them to Bank. Just don't transfer that Mew. Even if Bank doesn't detect it, later checks might, and it won't be legit even if they don't.

EDIT: I believe there is some small conversion process to be done so that the save can be loaded in the VC games, like adding/removing a few header bytes.

Edited by Shady Guy Jose