[GEN I] FINLAND Mew savegame contribution

suloku

Hello everyone, today I bring you yet another Gen I Mew contribution, this time thanks to Vezokair who was kind enough to share the Mew with all of us.

A month ago TotalTS contacted me about this reddit post where Vezokair was asking for help to determine if the Pokémon Red cartridge she just bought contained a legit Mew on it, as there was a distribution in Finland and the OT and TID matched the known data about the distribution. She posted this image, but the mew is not fully stat (EV) trained so DV (or IV) data couldn't be accurately calculated and know if it had the known fixed DVs gen I mews had.

rw2adfger8c11.jpg

I contacted Vezokair and talked about the possibilty of dumping the savegame and preserving the mew, and she was willing to help, so after exposing several backup options she decided to acquire a backup device and a couple days ago I was sent the dumped savefile. She also told me the savefile seems to have been glitched in some way and that there are multiple mews on it, but after analizing the data of the mews and comparing the data with other known legit distributions we have these were my conclusions:

- All of the mews present in the savefile are clones of the same mew (only difference is stat experience which is normal if the mew were used after cloning).
- The original mew (or all of them) were stored in a generation II game at some point and the held item was removed or used (bitter berry) before cloning and transfering to this cartridge.
- All the data in the mew(s) indicate it is a legitimate mew.

My hypothesis: original owner traded the mew to gen 2 for pokedex completion and gameplay use. At some point the mew got confused and used the bitter berry it got when traded to gen 2. Later that mew was cloned multiple times (since box cloning in gen 2 games was a really easy method) and then they were trasnfered to the pokémon Red cartridge Vezokair bought.

This is the third european Mew were are able to collect, the fourth if we count the spanish mew (it has a bogus story and different DVs, you can read the story in it's own thread). Due to fixed DVs it is not interesting gameplay wise, but as preservation is concerned and the batteries being almost dry every single event pokémon we can get is gold.

Best regards

FINLAND MEW.zip

Edited by suloku
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Speechless 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
10 minutes ago, Phinxx said:

Wouldn't even know how to do this unless someone told me.

Hmm it's normally related to using some physical dongle to back up the saves of the retail carts (provided you already don't have such a dongle. I'm not sure if Gameshark/Action Replay back in gen 1/2 provided such a service, but I know Gen 3 and 4 copies did)

12 minutes ago, Phinxx said:

So why are they of value if you can dupe the game into getting the mew anyways?

Because there is always a little preservationist in all of us.
It's true: we could just hack one in or make one, but somehow the notion of preserving something that once existed lights the bulb in our head.

Normally we'll preserve images of the event (distribution pamphlets, certificates, photographs showing the distribution etc) alongside the data.

I guess the next important thing I should ask if it's the same FINLAND distribution as we've obtained, or is it some other OT?

• Like 1

No it is not the Finland one but an event in either Norwich or Ipswich which was held by the Nintendo official magazine back in around 2000. You could battle other kids and their Pokémon and if you won like 5 or 10 games you could battle Tim who was the magazine's number 2. If you beat him and his articuno you could then fight the editor and his Mewtwo to get your pic in the magazine.

Everyone who won the games could have their cart hooked up to a machine to get a Mew imported. I'm gonna try and find it this weekend lol, hopefully the battery hadn't died.

Any monetary value associated with this?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Phinxx said:

No it is not the Finland one but an event in either Norwich or Ipswich which was held by the Nintendo official magazine back in around 2000. You could battle other kids and their Pokémon and if you won like 5 or 10 games you could battle Tim who was the magazine's number 2. If you beat him and his articuno you could then fight the editor and his Mewtwo to get your pic in the magazine. 

Everyone who won the games could have their cart hooked up to a machine to get a Mew imported. I'm gonna try and find it this weekend lol, hopefully the battery hadn't died.

Sounds like a fun event, wish I had something like that.

Yeah gotta check the battery first, that's always a thing.

37 minutes ago, Phinxx said:

Any monetary value associated with this?

Previously when I replied you regarding value, I meant emotional value.

Well, whenever there is emotional value, there probably is monetary value, but I won't hold my breath on it.

17 hours ago, Phinxx said:

Wouldn't even know how to do this unless someone told me.

To do this yourself you need some hardware like the J.Rodrigo Cart Flasher for GameBoy, its then very easy to backup the saves via USB on a Windows PC: GameBoy / GameBoy Colour USB Save Game Backup

I'm also located in the UK so could easily backup the saves for you if you don't feel like investing in such hardware.

If the batteries in the cart have survived this long its worth preserving the data sooner, rather than later.

• Like 1

Never heard about that ASH Mew but the UK one is documented despiste the fact that we don't have any.

I hope that those are legit and that someone can dump them for you!!!

Looking foward for them

EDIT: Maybe the ASH one you got from the glitch?

Edited by fabio00

I can't really remember but I know my character is called Ash so it would lead me to believe to did the glitch about 19 years ago to get that one. But the others were definitely from the machine at the event that I went to which after discussing with my dad was confirmed to be the one in Ipswich, UK.

1 hour ago, Phinxx said:

I can't really remember but I know my character is called Ash so it would lead me to believe to did the glitch about 19 years ago to get that one. But the others were definitely from the machine at the event that I went to which after discussing with my dad was confirmed to be the one in Ipswich, UK.

Well we'd love to have them :)

The stats seems to be the same as the others distributions:

HP 5
ATK 10
DEF 1
SPEED 12
SPECIAL 5

Still, even if it's easy to clone that, the savefile is pretty valuable to share as an historical contribution, and of course, to have the original cartridge.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/21/2019 at 12:28 PM, Phinxx said:

Just checked and i got 5 of these Mews from the event I attended.

Are these any good to anyone?

IMG_20190421_160222.jpg

IMG_20190421_162515.jpg

IMG_20190421_162526.jpg

IMG_20190421_162539.jpg

IMG_20190421_162551.jpg

I've just find out that ASH could be a Legit Mew.
According to this site, it was distributed through mail:

https://www.vooks.net/lite-remembering-pokemon-digital-distribution-1996-style/

I'll add the images for archiving purposes.

ewRyJh.jpg

T8gIFh.jpg

Edited by TotalTS

2 hours ago, TotalTS said:

I've just find out that ASH is actually a Legit Mew.
According to this site, it was distributed through mail:

https://www.vooks.net/lite-remembering-pokemon-digital-distribution-1996-style/

I'll add the images for archiving purposes.

ewRyJh.jpg

T8gIFh.jpg

I wonder if that was his original trainer name and the postal method used adds it under the same name as the save game?

51 minutes ago, LieboOSBA said:

I wonder if that was his original trainer name and the postal method used adds it under the same name as the save game?

The article refers to a journalist called Daniel Miller from Australia, which we could possibly still contact somehow.