1998 Nintendo Power 'MARIO' Mew Distribution

Gridelin

3 hours ago, Allegedly137 said:

I have stickers from what is possibly the event, Pokemon League Nintendo Training Tour '99, although the certificates are identical to the ones Bulbapedia shows for "Pokémon 2000 Stadium Tour Mew". It's possible I went to more than one event... They had a photo booth area where I took these photos. Still looking for the certs, thought they'd be with these pictures. I know for certain that I didn't throw them out and will post them once I find them.

pokemonevent1-2.png

pokemonevent2-2.png

This is so late 90s/early 2000s and I'm 100% here for it. Looking forward to seeing the certificates, thank you again!

• Like 2

That same event was held in Santa Monica too IIRC. I wish I knew where my Mew was. I didn't think or remember OT/TIDs back then.

I do remember staff members having a line battling everyone and they had 3 Pokemon, all Mew, and kicked our ass.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Allegedly137 said:

Darn, so  even for my own personal, never-will-trade collection they can’t go any farther than VC due to the transporter knowing it’s not legit, or would it somehow bug out the VC copy?

And if any generous soul would be willing to let me borrow one of these GB USB devices I'd get these guys backed up a lot sooner than later. 😅

If you'd like to ship me your cartridge to dump for you, you can send me a private message. I'm willing to help. If you'd rather me send you the dumper I understand, though I'm actively using for the time being, so it'd be quickest with the former option.

For credibility, I've done this before:

• Like 3
  • Proud 1

3 hours ago, Sabresite said:

That same event was held in Santa Monica too IIRC. I wish I knew where my Mew was. I didn't think or remember OT/TIDs back then.

I do remember staff members having a line battling everyone and they had 3 Pokemon, all Mew, and kicked out ass.

That's incredible.

Also to add to the congo line of people willing to help, I too have a cartridge dumper and would be willing to dump whatever you need; I'm however in the same boat as Deoxyz and constantly using it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys! Here they are! Both of the Mews in this one file! Box one. I was stubborn and wanted to do the use the save data transfer stuff myself, mostly because it sounded like a fun thing to mess around with and I wanted to backup my gameboy camera stuff too~

I traded the mews off the the blue and yellow they were originally in onto this file. I did back up both that blue and yellow before doing this, if for whatever reason this file is a problem (missingno did briefly visit back in the day but was promptly deleted after realizing he wasn't safe. Didn't mess with him much.)

I have searched high and low for my certificates of authenticity. I really really doubt I got rid of them, but alas they aren't where I expected them to be. I swear I will return to this forum if they ever show up, even if it's a few years from now. I may have higher quality pictures of my photos on a floppy they gave out, if preservationists want them and the files aren't corrupted yet.

pokemon_red_dex_2mews.sav

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, RetroAli said:

Quick update: got full scans of Pokemon Power Vol. 6, thanks again to doeiqts on Twitter for the help. Really neat to see the Mew "newspaper article" they included as well.

Pokemon Power vol 6.pdf 39.09 MB · 2 downloads

Thanks @RetroAli! I attached it to the main post of the topic.

One really interesting thing in there is the OT on the Mew used in the screenshots:

image.png.632c8c6411f62126b1d64b6df7f65256.png

I know @suloku originally suspected that this Nintendo Power Mew would have this OT, and was surprised to find it was MARIO. I wonder if the default OT on the Mew Machines was NINTEN, and employees just changed it based on the event/location. I'm not quite sure how Gen1 DVs work, but if someone can calculate them based off of this screenshot, that would be much appreciated.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Gridelin said:

One really interesting thing in there is the OT on the Mew used in the screenshots:

I know @suloku originally suspected that this Nintendo Power Mew would have this OT, and was surprised to find it was MARIO. I wonder if the default OT on the Mew Machines was NINTEN, and employees just changed it based on the event/location. I'm not quite sure how Gen1 DVs work, but if someone can calculate them based off of this screenshot, that would be much appreciated.

I think @Poke J helped me in the past calculating DVs/EVs.

Made a fake/hacked NINTEN Mew using as a base a YOSHIRA Mew, just randomized the EVs until some things matched.
In a strange way, made Attack and Speed EVs 0 since if you barely change the EVs beyond 10, it goes to Attack 91 and Speed 93. Also the Defense has too high EVs to get to 96. Which makes me think that maybe the stats of NINTEN were different of the other ones.

Also added the moveset from the screens of Pokémon Power Magazine to get a closer replica.

151 - FAKENINTEN - 9739.pk1

Edited by TotalTS
Fixing tag, adding fake Mew
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Gridelin said:

Funny enough @TotalTSI've been working on this on and off over the day and I've come to the conclusion that it is nearly impossible to get the correct DVs for this Mew with just the picture.  There are way too many assumptions that need to be made especially if the picture was only for publication.  My first assumption was that it was like every other classic Mew distributed at the time with a DV spread of:

HP = 5
Attack = 10
Defense = 1
Speed = 5
Special = 12

However, at level 39 the stats would not match that of an untrained Mew at the level which would mean that the Mew would have to have been in battle meaning that it would have acquired EVs.  That said the possible EV spread for a Mew with the normal DVs and to have the listed above stats would be:

HP = 961 - > 1848
Attack = 0 -> 8
Defense = 16129 -> 18224
Speed = 0 -> 8
Special = 1849 -> 3024

But, the issue here is the attack and special DVs are 0 -> 8 which is impossible consider the other EVs.  The second assumption would be that the person leveled it up using Rare Candies and Vitamins and again that would be impossible since vitamins increase the stats EVs by 2560 points in gen 1 and the lowest possible HP EV is 1848.  That would mean that the Mew was in battle and since the attack and speed EVs would be impossible for a Pokemon that saw battle which would mean that this Mew has a different set of DVs then the ordinary Mew given out at the time.

So now that it is clear that this Mew has a different set of DVs then the known Mews what are the DVs?  Well this is where the largest unknown of the equation comes into picture, how was this Mew trained?  Just to get the first major hurdle out of the way the Mew in the picture has been trained.  There is no DV combination that will give an untrained Mew at level 39 those stats considering the picture shows a defense stat of 96 when a Mew at the same level with a DV of 15 and EV of 0 will only have a defense stat of 94.  Thus, the Mew has been trained.  Now the question is how was the Mew trained?  For simplicity I've come up with 4 possible scenarios for how the Mew could have been trained.

Scenario 1 - Rare Candy and Vitamins: The problem here is we wouldn't be able to determine how many time the Mew was given vitamins.

Scenario 2 - A new game file and the Mew was obtained as early as possible: This would be easy to test with putting Mew into every battle until it is at level 39.  However, the problem with this scenario is that Nintendo Power needed a trained Mew for the picture and this method would probably take too long to get the desired result and the badge level cap for Pokemon obeying the player would probably be an issue.  Therefore, probably unlikely.

Scenario 3 - Got the Mew mid-game and trained it to level 39: Again easy to test, but the issue is badge level and slow in actuality; therefore, unlikely.

Scenario 4 - Got the Mew at the end of the game and trained it to level 39: This one is the most believable scenario in my opinion since it would be fast due to high level wild Pokemon.  However, there is still some unknown factors that would prevent someone from training a Mew to level 39 and then adjusting the DVs to match the stats in the picture.

Even with scenario 4 sounding the most promising to find the DVs the next biggest issue would be what level did the Mew start at.  Did they get it at level 5?  What about level 10 or even level 15?  We just don't know which makes the task at determining the DVs at this present moment all that more impossible.  As well, non of my outlined scenarios might be right or could be a combination between then.  We just don't know what the DVs of the Mew in the picture without more personal information about the player of that save file.  Thus, bring me back to my opening statement that it is nearly impossible to find the DVs of the Mew just from the picture alone.  Others are still welcome to try and determine the DVs, but this is just my take on the question and I could be missing an obvious piece of information that would make this task trivial.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Poke J said:

Funny enough @TotalTSI've been working on this on and off over the day and I've come to the conclusion that it is nearly impossible to get the correct DVs for this Mew with just the picture.  There are way too many assumptions that need to be made especially if the picture was only for publication.  My first assumption was that it was like every other classic Mew distributed at the time with a DV spread of:

HP = 5
Attack = 10
Defense = 1
Speed = 5
Special = 12

However, at level 39 the stats would not match that of an untrained Mew at the level which would mean that the Mew would have to have been in battle meaning that it would have acquired EVs.  That said the possible EV spread for a Mew with the normal DVs and to have the listed above stats would be:

HP = 961 - > 1848
Attack = 0 -> 8
Defense = 16129 -> 18224
Speed = 0 -> 8
Special = 1849 -> 3024

But, the issue here is the attack and special DVs are 0 -> 8 which is impossible consider the other EVs.  The second assumption would be that the person leveled it up using Rare Candies and Vitamins and again that would be impossible since vitamins increase the stats EVs by 2560 points in gen 1 and the lowest possible HP EV is 1848.  That would mean that the Mew was in battle and since the attack and speed EVs would be impossible for a Pokemon that saw battle which would mean that this Mew has a different set of DVs then the ordinary Mew given out at the time.

So now that it is clear that this Mew has a different set of DVs then the known Mews what are the DVs?  Well this is where the largest unknown of the equation comes into picture, how was this Mew trained?  Just to get the first major hurdle out of the way the Mew in the picture has been trained.  There is no DV combination that will give an untrained Mew at level 39 those stats considering the picture shows a defense stat of 96 when a Mew at the same level with a DV of 15 and EV of 0 will only have a defense stat of 94.  Thus, the Mew has been trained.  Now the question is how was the Mew trained?  For simplicity I've come up with 4 possible scenarios for how the Mew could have been trained.

Scenario 1 - Rare Candy and Vitamins: The problem here is we wouldn't be able to determine how many time the Mew was given vitamins.

Scenario 2 - A new game file and the Mew was obtained as early as possible: This would be easy to test with putting Mew into every battle until it is at level 39.  However, the problem with this scenario is that Nintendo Power needed a trained Mew for the picture and this method would probably take too long to get the desired result and the badge level cap for Pokemon obeying the player would probably be an issue.  Therefore, probably unlikely.

Scenario 3 - Got the Mew mid-game and trained it to level 39: Again easy to test, but the issue is badge level and slow in actuality; therefore, unlikely.

Scenario 4 - Got the Mew at the end of the game and trained it to level 39: This one is the most believable scenario in my opinion since it would be fast due to high level wild Pokemon.  However, there is still some unknown factors that would prevent someone from training a Mew to level 39 and then adjusting the DVs to match the stats in the picture.

Even with scenario 4 sounding the most promising to find the DVs the next biggest issue would be what level did the Mew start at.  Did they get it at level 5?  What about level 10 or even level 15?  We just don't know which makes the task at determining the DVs at this present moment all that more impossible.  As well, non of my outlined scenarios might be right or could be a combination between then.  We just don't know what the DVs of the Mew in the picture without more personal information about the player of that save file.  Thus, bring me back to my opening statement that it is nearly impossible to find the DVs of the Mew just from the picture alone.  Others are still welcome to try and determine the DVs, but this is just my take on the question and I could be missing an obvious piece of information that would make this task trivial.

This is awesome, great stuff buddy. Honestly just being able to conclude that the DVs of the Mew pictured don't match any of the other classic Mews is very intriguing; @suloku originally told me that he had heard about the "NINTEN" Mews having different DVs, this just gives more credence to that theory.

• Like 2

So coincidental this has been brought back. I already made all those calculations some years ago and also came to the conclusion that the NINTEN mew in the picture did not have the standard DVs.

Only piece of evidence I have is in this thread at Azure-Heights, the information being in the second post made by MewtwoSama:
https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/forum/tuff/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000106

Every official Mew I have, have the same max stats. I dont remember the stats exactly.

Except for the "NINTEN" Mew i have. THat one has some bugs in it. Its max GENES are 20 points off.

User ryuko2002 (who has recently contributed de Spanish EUROPE and australian NAL mews) was registered there, I asked him to reach MewtwoSama in the hopes he still has the mew/backed up the savegame/calculated the DVs.

There are other possible explanations:
- Nintendo Power Magazine actually used gameshark to get the screenshots ( I think it may have been common practice in order to easily get trough the games and get the job done)
- It was a test mew just for the magazine?
- The NINTEN mew MetwoSama owned did have the normal stats, but it reached level 100 before being fully EV trained, thus preventing stat updates (read more here: https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/compendium/boxtrick.htm)

ryuko2002 has tried in my stead to reach MewtwoSama at AzureHeights, let's cross fingers.

Edited by suloku
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I would be very surprised if Nintendo Power, an official magazine from Nintendo of America, would have used an unlicensed hardware/software instead of just using their own debug hardware and software. lol

I agree that this Mew wasn’t generated like the Machine Mew, since the Trainer ID appears randomly generated. Otherwise it would mean that this Mew was the 24145th NINTEN Mew they generated beforehand, a very unlikely scenario.

If I understand this correctly, this picture was made before Mew was distributed in the US which reminds me on the ゲーフリ(GameFreak) Mew from the initial reveal from the CoroCoro Magazine May 1996 issue.

The first Mew in Japan (コロコロ) were generated procedurally by Shigeki Morimoto on his PC, it’s been said (still not confirmed, since none was preserved and examined) that they had random DVs. What we can say for sure is that they started to use these Pokémon Machines at the Nintendo Space World ‘97 Event, which was the first huge mass event with 100000 distributed Mew. That’s when the A1C5 Mew was born.

If it’s true that this NINTEN Mew or other Mew with different DVs were distributed, we need to do everything we can to preserve them and if we can’t at least try to analyze the DVs. 

The game uses the same function for creating a Pokémon to transform it between Party and the more compact Box format. This means in case a Pokémon reaches LV 100 before maxing EVs, it’s possible to max the EVs and to put it on a Box to force stat recalculation.

I really hope ryuko2002 can reach MewtwoSama, so that this can be preserved.

I recently was checking the BLUEMONS rom leaked a few days ago and saw that a NINTEN Mew can be generated from the Debug option.
I suppose (can't confirm) the NINTEN Mew shown on the Nintendo Power Magazine was generated this way and that explain the odd stats.

Just to make sure, I made 3 different saves.
In my first attempt (DEBUGMEW0) the Stats were:
HP: 25
Atk: 15
Def: 15
SpC: 15
Spe: 15

And immediately remembered the Magazine screen and how almost all Stats were around 90~ so I imagined the Stats were constant just like the other Mews and this could be the final piece to solve the mistery of the NINTEN Mew Stats, but in my next attempt I discovered the Pokémon Stats and Trainer IDs change at random. Just leaving my .pks here for research.

DEBUGMEW0.pk1 DEBUGMEW1.pk1 DEBUGMEW2.pk1

• Like 3

Is there a Debug Menu to generate Pokémon or is this the Mew from the Debug Party? ゲーフリ is the Japanese Debug Name of the Blue Version. Would be easy to confirm if we could preserve one of those NINTEN Mews. 

Edited by ajxpk

On 5/1/2020 at 3:07 AM, TotalTS said:

I recently was checking the BLUEMONS rom leaked a few days ago and saw that a NINTEN Mew can be generated from the Debug option.
I suppose (can't confirm) the NINTEN Mew shown on the Nintendo Power Magazine was generated this way and that explain the odd stats.

Just to make sure, I made 3 different saves.
In my first attempt (DEBUGMEW0) the Stats were:
HP: 25
Atk: 15
Def: 15
SpC: 15
Spe: 15

And immediately remembered the Magazine screen and how almost all Stats were around 90~ so I imagined the Stats were constant just like the other Mews and this could be the final piece to solve the mistery of the NINTEN Mew Stats, but in my next attempt I discovered the Pokémon Stats and Trainer IDs change at random. Just leaving my .pks here for research.

DEBUGMEW0.pk1 69 B · 0 downloads DEBUGMEW1.pk1 69 B · 0 downloads DEBUGMEW2.pk1 69 B · 0 downloads

Wow nice stuff! Would you mind posting screenshots of where you found the debug option to generate these Mews? I'd love to check it out myself; @ajxpk would too

Edited by Gridelin

On 3/30/2020 at 2:28 AM, Poke J said:

Sorry for the double posting. I think the Debug matches most of the Scenario 4, because: You recieve Mew at Level 5 right in the start, and the Debug allows you to Fly and access anywhere in the game to train Mew to level 39. Still is just an idea to think that the NINTEN Mew of the Magazine is a Debug Mew, but it could work. @Poke J

I add the .sav files now for the testing.

BLUEMONS (0).sav BLUEMONS (1).sav BLUEMONS (2).sav

Edited by TotalTS

It would be pretty neat if NINTEN Mew was generated with this method.

On a separately note, we've been aware of code in the disassembly that shows they had gifted these mons, and we've added the mons from the unused sub here.

Tho I guess the reason why OT/TID is different, is because the subroutine that people found only gifts you a mon, and it's based on the OT/TID of your save.

(However, it appears for debug game, the OT is locked to NINTEN, if you properly entered the game via debug menu)

I'll probably add these mons later.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/17/2020 at 4:56 AM, TotalTS said:

Hallazgo reciente, un usuario de Twitter afirma tener un Nintendo Power Mew, pero por alguna razón muestra el Yoshira (Toys R Us) Mew:

https://twitter.com/NPNG_DrTiger/status/1185637118112141312/photo/1

Mod edit: imagen cargada aquí, porque el usuario de Twitter puede eliminarla en cualquier momento.
EHQ6qt6WkAoNNbr.jpg

También agregué la página al archivo web. / modedit end.

It is that in truth, according to bulbapedia, the mew of the event Nintendo Power Mew have like OT YOSHIRA or YOSHIRB; And that's my big question too, can someone finally explain to me why they say that this MARIO MEW is from the Nintendo Power event? because, I searched bulbapedia, and I can't find any mew with the OT MARIO. Please help.

image.thumb.png.9df8c85f117763e9190ad179f381191d.png

Edited by MetaleroSmith

1998 was MARIO and 1999 was YOSHIRA/YOSHIBA/YOSHIRB/YOSHIBB. I don't see the problem?
For anyone wondering, the OT is YOSHI, and Red/Blue machines A/B.

EDIT: Looks like from the tweet the issue is the 1998 issue. I bet he is either referencing the wrong issue, or is remembering wrong and got it on the North America Tour.
Either way it is not from the 1998 giveaway.

EDIT: He responded and I was right. Ok that is settled.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Going back to MARIO Mew. This are a few images from different sources (most of them are from Twitter).
Just sharing this because in the future years we can acknowledge a part of the range of the Mews that were distributed.
51259 is the lowest ID I've seen. (Sold on ebay I think) Followed by 51273 (which is the one of this post) 51292 (From Imgur, and the one of the letter from this post) and 51295 is the highest seen yet. (From Twitter).

According to this distribution, 151 Mews were distributed. For sure some of them were between 51259 to 51295.

EN93aidXUAA6o9_.jpg

tBpGs66.jpg

dragmireG - DMscymBW0AAYcKj.jpg

Edit 7/17/2022:
D5mDlhkXsAER-uU.jpg.b89003f8e5bfd32885034d9bc3dae1bc.jpg
This one was also found on twitter, hard to read but seems that the ID was 51352. Now the range of 151 Mews could had been between 51259 and 51352.
Given this evidence, I'd like to believe that the distribution started at 51210 or 51250, and they were incremented by 1 each one, but this is just pure speculation.

Edited by TotalTS
  • Like 2