What's in a Name?

Okami

Discussion of our chosen usernames and why we chose them.

Mine is obviously derived from Ōkami, or rather Ookami. Which is Japanese for "Wolf." This has absolutely no relation to the PS2/Wii game!

Her name is pronounced "Ooh-cam-ee" instead of "Oh-kah-me," because we didn't know how to pronounce it, and that way always stuck!

EDIT: It is not only my online alias, my generally happy bubbly self, but my alter-ego, which is a traumatized being who despises life.

Edited by Okami
took out my long backstory and substituted it with this, which gets to the point much faster!

Turtlekid1 was my original username; I've had it ever since I created an account on RuneScape.

Anyways, it's fairly simple to dissect. "Turtle" refers to Smokey, the pet turtle I had at the time. "Kid" refers to the fact that I was 11. "1" was just a catchy number I put on the end; to this day I'm not sure why. When the new forums came out here, I changed the "1" to "2." The sequel to Turtlekid1, if you will.

Ironically, most turtles I see in games and shows disgust me (TMNT, Franklin, etc.) with the exception of Bentley from the Sly Cooper series (I'm actually using Bentley as my avatar).

Before I found pokesav.org, I had been contemplating launching a similar site of my own. Pokehack was the best name I could come up with for this site, but the whole poke<insert word here> thing seemed quite cliche. Then it hit me that I could use porygon as a mascot and change the name to poryhack, and I was pretty happy with that.

Shortly after that I found/joined pokesav.org and registered under the name Poryhack, still thinking that I would launch my own site. The rest is history. Needless to say the username stuck (and I'm quite happy with it).

Mine was made rather randomly... It's a shortened form of Zafurra... [Cool z sound, fur, and a rah sound.] I basically started using it when I couldn't think of a better username or RP name... Now I basically just use it for usernames, since I got a new RP name obsession, and the nickname "Zaffy" was given to me by an internet friend, so now it's like naming a character after myself. I think I've spotted my username not being used by me, or very similar variations.

Green - My favorite color.

Cat - Nothing better I could think of and I like cats so...

I like my name, but it seems like people call me "Kitty" or "Cat" on the IRC. O.o I would think they would say "Hey Green," but they say "Hi Kitty." ;)

I like it, though, since it's not a phrase or a word that means something. It's short and simple. I can also pretend to be a cat on the IRC too. :D

Well first off i couldn't really think of a name that i could use for everything, it felt like a went through countless, and it didn't really fit, also i didn't really like the name. >_>

-Commando_K (The front letter of my name, and i always like war.)

-D4rk Rebel (I was going to put to two 3's, but that would looks stupid.:biggrin:)

-Gamer-K (Same as the first one, although it sounded lame after a while.)

-Blackout (Off the Transformers, and i am that.....colour?)

-ChocolateThunder (Famous Basketball player, although a few sites, and games, couldn't fit the name.)

-KnightVVing (Was my name of the previous forum, and i just copied from someone.)

-XcrossFire (I just added X in front of Cross, it was originally Cross Hair, but that sounded strange.)

-HottSushiz (I thought long, and hard about a name that was original, and that if i used it for online games, or forums, it would always be avaliable, so i tried to think of putting "Hot" or "Cold" i was originally going to be ColdPizzasz, but i didn't like Pizza THAT much, and Sushi sounded better, so i thought of HotSushi, so i interwebed it, my creations of HotSushi:

-HotSushi

-HawtSushi

-HotSushizz

-H0ttSushiz

-HottSushiz

I didn't want to make it too interwebed so that's my story. Tadaaa

Yeah when you first signed up, i saw that as your avvie, it's like a hybrid of a Unicorn, and Whale, my friend thinks the massive horn is it's teeth, but it looks to be it's on it's forehead.

The big horn on its head is called a tooth :D

there are rare toothed narwhals,i think it means there like really long or something..

I wanted to make a comment regarding an error on a news story at the old pokesav site so I had to use a username. "Guest" was already filled in in the blank, so I just added "ed" because I thought it was... unique (?) to turn a noun into a past tense verb.

I slightly regret my decision every now and then...

Jigglypuff in SSBM. Nimblest character in the air, made me think of a Ninja. She floats faster than she runs.

My name is not based on the Will Smith song at all.

A previous username (not here) was MasterSniper999. Sniping used to be one of my favorite things to do in FPSes, and the master bit is just some vanity on my part. More often than not, I sucked.

My current favorite FPS tactic is to take an automatic gun or shotgun and just walk around shooting at whatever crosses my path. Not very strategic or effective, but fun.

I've gone through so many names to the point where I can't remember half of them.

The name Deities came when I was sitting at home watching Superbad when suddenly the word Deity came into my head and it stuck, although I've never used the word Deity as my forum name I've used Deities and LivingDeities.

My favourite forum name I've had was Isei, but I forgot why I chose that name.

Here's another question: Have any of you ever regretted the name you've chosen, and if so, why?

For me, I do, actually. It has too many bad connections to days when Okami was a mary-sue character and of my anime obsession. It's disgusting. But to change it now would only confuse people, as I've used this name all throughout my teenage life.

• 3 weeks later...

My typical handle always used to be 347Studboy; 347 which is leet for "eat", which is always fun, and Studboy because I thought it was funny at the time.

I regretted that one a bunch.

So then a friend of mine said I should go by Codemonkey instead, and I have ever since. I usually append 85 to the end (my birth year, original, eh?). Codemonkey basically means I am a programming nerd.

Here's another question: Have any of you ever regretted the name you've chosen, and if so, why?

I used to regret the name 'death_666' and '3liteW4rr10r' although my persona as '3liteW4rr10r' made me who I am today with all the online communities I worked at/helped run and even made me the troll I am slowly trying to get rid of lol..

Well, since you asked and I'm in the mood to let the secret go, I'll tell you guys :x I've gotten the question before but usually I'm mysterious about it for giggles.

In Mechwarrior 2 if a person made their cadet name "Enzo" they would have access to hidden mechs such as the Elemental, Tarantula, and the BattleMaster. The Tarantula was my favourite mech, so I always put my name in as Enzo. From there, I started using the name in roleplay and my own works of fiction, and the name stuck.

The fictional character's initials are "E.N.D." which relates to his purpose in the metaplot of the series I intend to write, even though I didn't mean for the initials to spell anything at first, I noticed at one point and decided to run with it. :x

I make a lot of nicknames up for websites.

kooooky101 - Hah, I used this one for Neopets, just because I lied to my friend about having an account. I told him my username and password, so when I got home I made the account quick!

Nero Variations - After a while I cam across the word "Nero". I wikied it and learned that in Italian, it means "black", and in Finnish, it means "genius". Now, the first thing I thought of was an evil genius, with black meaning evil, which I oddly love the malevolent and evil and dark. No, not anything religious, like I worship Satan or that. Just a preference in games. Do you ever notice that evil characters are sometimes more awesome than the heroes in some cases (i.e. Sephiroth, Shadow(kinda evilish), Axel, Deidara, etc.)? Genius is something I kinda liked because at my school, people say I'm too smart.

NarutoEH - My first account at the Project Pokemon Forums and name of many accounts on many websites. EH used to stand for Elemental Heroes, an anime that I always wanted to make when I was little. Now I make up meanings for it now that the original meaning is useless. Can someone come up with a good meaning for it? Something that works and makes it sound cool.

Naru-Chu - I created this user name for Project Pokemon forums. It represents Naruto and Pokemon, my two favorite anime/manga/games. It originally meant Naruto and Pikachu. When I read about people's hatred for Pikachu (a.k.a. Uberchu), I changed the Chu meaning to Pichu. How can you not hate that cutie? I enjoy it a lot :) except, I usually have to make my avatars and signatures match my username...eh. I like making avatars and signatures of different things too, not just of Pichu and Naruto characters. Oh well, I guess I don't HAVE to match my username.

-.-

I hate when I write wrong posts.