FRLG RSE - Toysrus Mew Distribution GBA Cart

Twig

I'd assume there being room for error with the generated Mews or one of Twig's saves. It can't be a coincidence that I've gathered info from about 9 save files from several sources, all of which were identical. I suppose it's possible that there are some rarer carts that had alternate saves?

Anyway, I'll shoot you a PM of my save files so you can research and whatnot, as long as they're kept to yourself and trusted members for the time being.

I've received it.

I'm awaiting any sort of responses regarding the originally generated 420

edit:

are both your saves from the same cart or different carts?

I was a bit disturbed by the fact that both had complete pokedex, with the exception of celebi >.<

I've received it.

I'm awaiting any sort of responses regarding the originally generated 420

edit:

are both your saves from the same cart or different carts?

I was a bit disturbed by the fact that both had complete pokedex, with the exception of celebi >.<

Different carts, I made extra certain of it. I did find it odd Celebi was the only pokemon not in the Pokedex, but I assumed they made it that way for a reason when the original save was created. Iirc, I had asked another savefile owner about the Celebi and they said it was the same case for them. It wasn't a question I asked every savefile owner about though, I mainly focused on verifying if they had the same Mews.

Different carts, I made extra certain of it. I did find it odd Celebi was the only pokemon not in the Pokedex, but I assumed they made it that way for a reason when the original save was created. Iirc, I had asked another savefile owner about the Celebi and they said it was the same case for them. It wasn't a question I asked every savefile owner about though, I mainly focused on verifying if they had the same Mews.

That helps to confirm that Nintendo cloned the saves.

(at least for the copies that I have)

That helps to confirm that Nintendo cloned the saves.

(at least for the copies that I have)

I PM'd you about it, but I can provide the information I gathered by the Q&A I had with other cartridge owners which confirms every cart has had the same savefile amongst those I've talked to.

Those that mean that, summing up all different saves, all original 420 mews are "located"?

And are those the same uploaded to pokechek?

I understand that the saves have their value and would be easy to fool people if it was made public, but what about the mews? They were once available, so what's preventing a reupload?

Those that mean that, summing up all different saves, all original 420 mews are "located"?

And are those the same uploaded to pokechek?

I understand that the saves have their value and would be easy to fool people if it was made public, but what about the mews? They were once available, so what's preventing a reupload?

To my understanding,

With a previous save, based on locations of the Mew and the saves, Sabresite has worked up the seed which was used to generate the Mews,

and identified 420 Mews, which were thought to be the only Mystry Mews.

(https://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?30020-MYSTRY-Mew-Algorithm-finalized!)

The problem is, those Mew were uploaded on Pokecheck, and Pokecheck has since went down,

and not sure if anyone still has them.

When Twig appeared, it seems that they may have been more Mews.

(For example, Nintendo cloned one user profile. Then maybe created 3 cartridges of unique Mews, then cloned these cartridges to go all across the nation, and then world).

So, we are experiencing a Mew problem.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that anyone could just make any save file filled with Mews (made to look like MYSTRY Mew) and advertise as a Toys'R'Us Mew distribution cartridge on eBay and everyone would be none the wiser, regardless of the actual legit save file(s) being out in the open or not.

Of course, it being out in the open would allow them to make actual replicas, even though they wouldn't really be genuine. But they can still sell games at exhorbitant prices already claiming it to be distribution cartridges, and heck, they already sell games with hacked save files that have 99 of every item and every Pokémon shiny at Lv. 100, etc.

Besides, I don't know about you, but I'd rather have "scams" pop up on eBay that have the actual legitimate distribution save file, than actual scams that are actually hacked save files and not legitimate event Mews at all.

To my understanding,

With a previous save, based on locations of the Mew and the saves, Sabresite has worked up the seed which was used to generate the Mews,

and identified 420 Mews, which were thought to be the only Mystry Mews.

(https://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?30020-MYSTRY-Mew-Algorithm-finalized!)

The problem is, those Mew were uploaded on Pokecheck, and Pokecheck has since went down,

and not sure if anyone still has them.

I've pinged Sabresite, he'll revert with the set of Mews later today or tomorrow. He also has save sets to contribute, 3 of which are from eBay.

What if Fire Red cartridges had their own save files (which were clones of each other) with 420 unique Mews and Leaf Green cartridges had their own save files different from the Fire Red ones? There could be (420 x 2) 840 unique MYSTRY Mews.

But I've never heard of a Leaf Green MYSTRY Mew cartridge.

@pMD

It seems totally possible that there may have been multiple savefiles for FireRed, according to what has been said. In that case, it would appear that one savefile is a lot more common than the other(s).

There are no LeafGreen Mew carts, though.

@pMD

I agree with your point, and would likely support releasing the save if fake distros were already a problem. Though from what I've seen, this is not an issue.

I don't think anyone bothers making fakes, because they'd fear it'd be easy to spot out. You'd need the specifics of TID/SID, approx. paytime, rival name, etc.

If the save were public, there is the likely case someone may not have the means to inject it to a cartridge, but take the data and make a crappy fake from scratch.

I'm going with the mindset that if there is no current problem, don't allow chances to create a potential problem. If there was an existing problem, then it probably wouldn't hurt to try to water down the problem.

You can already make crappy fakes from scratch though. But right now they don't need to bother knowing the specifics of TID/SID, play time, and all that stuff, because it is likely that a potential buyer doesn't know what the real save info is either, so they could really just put anything.

People already have the means to inject completed save files into cartridges to sell them on eBay, they'd just be injecting a genuine copy of distribution cartridge save files instead. If someone would be willing to make a crappy fake just because they don't have the means to inject save files, they'd already be doing this as we speak.

I guess I can understand if you wouldn't want "genuine" copies to start showing up when there aren't even any fakes right now, though.

(btw what makes you think that the people selling the distribution carts aren't already doing just this? They probably have the save file backed up and they just repeatedly restore it to different FireRed cartridges and sell them as actual Mew distribution cartridges.)

Just offering my tuppence here.

The Mew cartridges on Ebay are simply .sav dumps on to retail cartridges of FireRed. The same sellers on Ebay offer them every few weeks with various prices ranging from "$200-500".

The OT is Red, National Dex (including Celebi) is obtained, all badges. 4* Trainer card if memory serves right. Game time is usually 100+ but it depends on how often they've had it happen on a GBA/SP. Game time though doesn't really show anything in particular.

The Mews are clones yes but how do you explain the same Pokémon traded from customers across multiple cartridges? (Unless they're smart enough to delete them).

I'm not suggesting that some of them aren't real by any means but the same sellers list these cartridges claiming they received them from former emloyees of Toys R Us. Ebay has an archive, and the fact they've listed (and sold) 10 Fire Red Mystry Mew distribution cartridges in the past year is a pure sign of .sav dumping.

As for the Mews themselves, yes there are only 420 Mews available but with save editing possible, editing the Mews to make them 'unique' isn't really difficult. If someone does in fact dump the save, Legal.exe them and it shows they're hacks, who are they going to complain to? They're hardly going to complain to Ebay about a Not For Resale Item.

^ Now that's a bit different from what's been said just earlier in this thread. It was said that they had the national dex completed except for Celebi.

Either way, unless you bought out every listing for Mew distribution cartridges, no way to tell that there aren't any fakes among them.

Also while we're here, do you have an example of a seller that's been selling several Mew cartridges over the past year or so?

You can already make crappy fakes from scratch though. But right now they don't need to bother knowing the specifics of TID/SID, play time, and all that stuff, because it is likely that a potential buyer doesn't know what the real save info is either, so they could really just put anything.

People already have the means to inject completed save files into cartridges to sell them on eBay, they'd just be injecting a genuine copy of distribution cartridge save files instead. If someone would be willing to make a crappy fake just because they don't have the means to inject save files, they'd already be doing this as we speak.

It may happen occasionally, but it doesn't look like it's often. I've easily verified several carts when I see one pop up on eBay by asking the seller questions. At the same time I get info from their cart to see if they have the same Mews as me. I think people who'd consider to make a fake from scratch would fear they couldn't pass it as real and get busted, and probably not worth the effort. They don't know what info is out there that can debunk its legitimacy. Though, yes, it can happen. It just doesn't seem to be a common thing.

I guess I can understand if you wouldn't want "genuine" copies to start showing up when there aren't even any fakes right now, though.

I actually see the savefile that is worth the value and not particularly the cart, as the cart is identical to a regular FireRed, so in one way it's not a problem. Though there are morals, which I don't even know how strongly I feel about, that you shouldn't "scam" people by calling it an original. But how much of a scam is it really?

(btw what makes you think that the people selling the distribution carts aren't already doing just this? They probably have the save file backed up and they just repeatedly restore it to different FireRed cartridges and sell them as actual Mew distribution cartridges.)

This is a likely case, though we can't say for sure. If we release the save to the public, then this will almost surely be a thing happening.

Again, I'm not sure how much of a scam it actually is, but I really don't know if it'd be a good thing to do in the end to have a public save.

Since the day I obtained the Mew save, I've wanted to release it to the public. I just fear unintentional negative side effects of doing so.

This is a likely case, though we can't say for sure. If we release the save to the public, then this will almost surely be a thing happening.

Again, I'm not sure how much of a scam it actually is, but I really don't know if it'd be a good thing to do in the end to have a public save.

Since the day I obtained the Mew save, I've wanted to release it to the public. I just fear unintentional negative side effects of doing so.

And they are making easy money pretty much scamming people because they just copy the save file over and over to different cartridges to sell more of them. If anyone could have the save files, the incentive to buy them from eBay sellers goes down, and likely those people would no longer be able to profit from doing it.

'sides, if the save file is a copy across every cartridge that was given out by Nintendo, then is there really value in the save file if every one of them is a copy anyway? If they were all unique, then sharing one save file would definitely make the value of that particular save file go down, but they're supposedly all copies.

It'd be like keeping Wondercards (of all Gens.) private because of them having value if not everyone can have them, but in reality, everyone has the same ones, and the ones who did have them could just take advantage of it and copy it over and over to sell to other people at a profit.

I mean, I can see your reasoning, but personally, I feel that having this available for people who want it would be good, in the same way that Wondercards are collected here and publicly shared. That way, if someone wants to get an event, they can get the files and get the event. With this, someone who wants a Mew would be able to get the save file and get a Mew the same way you used to at the actual Toys'R'Us event.

Kind of the same things as distribution cartridges' dumped roms, except save files are actually legal to share around :P

Furthermore, the 420 Mews were already all uploaded to Pokécheck back before it shut down, so all the info about the Mews was already publicly available at one point or another. All that would be needed would be for someone to have used that information to re-create the same Mews on a Gen. 3 save file, which admittedly would take some effort. But what is effort, if you can then spend the next few years selling games at several hundred dollars profit?

Granted, they'd still have to figure out the trainer info and play time and Pokédex, etc., but that can also be obtained by asking other people who have it, and then you can re-create it, and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference by just asking them about it.

Either that, or they're already just using 'genuine' copies of the genuine save files, which brings us back to my previous point.

To add-on to previously mentioned points (which are all very good)

At the very least, the saves that were dumped from carts that were shared here,

mostly showed indication of the cart being braced to the gameboy,

which is a pretty good indication of the cart most likely being the one used by Nintendo,

as compared to the carts presently on eBay which shows no signs of such contraption being used.

Furthermore, the saves or pokemon files were previously here, so it pretty much makes it present eBay sellers to attempt to create a fake save and sell it.

As an FYI, none of the saved games sent to me were "unused" to the point where the trainer still had their 6 pokemon used for battling intact.

It is most likely that 5 mews were generated as battle pokemon for the trainer. Unfortunately I believe those will be lost to time! :(

As an FYI, none of the cartridges sent to me were "unused" to the point where the trainer still had their 6 pokemon used for battling intact.

It is most likely that 5 mews were generated as battle pokemon for the trainer. Unfortunately I believe those will be lost to time! :(

I just sent you the saves from @Deoxyz

(If I haven't sent them to you previously) >,<

You're seriously a life saver! :D

To add-on to previously mentioned points (which are all very good)

At the very least, the saves that were dumped from carts that were shared here,

mostly showed indication of the cart being braced to the gameboy,

which is a pretty good indication of the cart most likely being the one used by Nintendo,

as compared to the carts presently on eBay which shows no signs of such contraption being used.

Furthermore, the saves or pokemon files were previously here, so it pretty much makes it present eBay sellers to attempt to create a fake save and sell it.

Unless my memory's wrong, the MYSTRY Mew cart wasn't braced to the GBA. Probably because the event only lasted one day for like, 3 hours or so.

Unless my memory's wrong, the MYSTRY Mew cart wasn't braced to the GBA. Probably because the event only lasted one day for like, 3 hours or so.

Actually you're right.

Mystry Mew carts didn't seem to be braced, and is a regular cartridge,

While Aura Mew cart was braced and seemed to be some type of distribution network,

Rather than regular trading.

Example of such system: https://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?27486-GBA-distribution-system

Actually you're right.

Mystry Mew carts didn't seem to be braced, and is a regular cartridge,

While Aura Mew cart was braced and seemed to be some type of distribution network,

Rather than regular trading.

Example of such system: https://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?27486-GBA-distribution-system

That's what they had at Journey Across America. Guess they figured the extra security was warranted due to the multiple stops.

Pardon the late replies.

@Soniktts

I somehow missed your post before my last reply.

One of the sellers I had questioned a while back about his Mew cart for sale claimed he "used to work in a position" to where he obtained items like this from various retail stores once they were done with them. He then told me he had several other Mew carts not listed that he wasn't selling yet. While that is a very easy story to bullshit, he had tons of NFR video game items listed, beyond pokemon and DS related. I felt his word was safe. Though yes, other sellers may not be legitimate.

As for the carts having Celebi in the pokedex, no. Other save owners have verified that they didn't have Celebi either. I'd be more suspicious of a cart that did have Celebi, as it'd look like a fake that was made from scratch and given a complete pokedex, naturally you'd think should have Celebi. If anything, Deoxys is what you'd expect to not be there. If someone faked a save, they wouldn't "just forget" to add Celebi. I'm sure Celebi isn't there for a reason. There is also a possibility that if a cart has Celebi, someone could've just traded one for a Mew, but isn't that unlikely? Also perhaps a post-distribution private owner added a Celebi to complete the dex? Bottom line, a save shouldn't naturally have a Celebi, for whatever reason.

@Soniktts

We can't prove for a fact that a good majority of Mew carts for sale are "scams".

Also, the fact that some people are making huge profit from doing basically nothing has been something at the front of my mind on the subject of making the save public. I also figured a public save would hopefully devalue the save their scam method. Though, the thing is we can't guarantee how many people, buyers and sellers, will be aware or able to find the save file if it is posted here. It may not help much to devalue in that case. It's hard to say. Worst case scenario, it doesn't devalue, and some people see it here and decide to go make hundreds of bucks themselves with it. At the same time, what about the people that paid hundreds of dollars for a legit cartridge? Is a devaluation from a public save fair to them? I'm sure some wouldn't be pleased by the idea.

There's all risky potentials involved if we were to do this, but of course I'd just love to be done with it and help preserve history by making it public. I would've done so months ago if I thought it wouldn't potentially cause a big negativity.

Pardon the late replies.

@Soniktts

I somehow missed your post before my last reply.

One of the sellers I had questioned a while back about his Mew cart for sale claimed he "used to work in a position" to where he obtained items like this from various retail stores once they were done with them. He then told me he had several other Mew carts not listed that he wasn't selling yet. While that is a very easy story to bullshit, he had tons of NFR video game items listed, beyond pokemon and DS related. I felt his word was safe. Though yes, other sellers may not be legitimate.

As for the carts having Celebi in the pokedex, no. Other save owners have verified that they didn't have Celebi either. I'd be more suspicious of a cart that did have Celebi, as it'd look like a fake that was made from scratch and given a complete pokedex, naturally you'd think should have Celebi. If anything, Deoxys is what you'd expect to not be there. If someone faked a save, they wouldn't "just forget" to add Celebi. I'm sure Celebi isn't there for a reason. There is also a possibility that if a cart has Celebi, someone could've just traded one for a Mew, but isn't that unlikely? Also perhaps a post-distribution private owner added a Celebi to complete the dex? Bottom line, a save shouldn't naturally have a Celebi, for whatever reason.

@Soniktts

We can't prove for a fact that a good majority of Mew carts for sale are "scams".

Also, the fact that some people are making huge profit from doing basically nothing has been something at the front of my mind on the subject of making the save public. I also figured a public save would hopefully devalue the save their scam method. Though, the thing is we can't guarantee how many people, buyers and sellers, will be aware or able to find the save file if it is posted here. It may not help much to devalue in that case. It's hard to say. Worst case scenario, it doesn't devalue, and some people see it here and decide to go make hundreds of bucks themselves with it. At the same time, what about the people that paid hundreds of dollars for a legit cartridge? Is a devaluation from a public save fair to them? I'm sure some wouldn't be pleased by the idea.

There's all risky potentials involved if we were to do this, but of course I'd just love to be done with it and help preserve history by making it public. I would've done so months ago if I thought it wouldn't potentially cause a big negativity.

Considering Sabresite already uploaded the Mews (the things of value), I personally don't see the problem with uploading the save. I mean, the ROMs of the Gen 4 and 5 distributions getting dumped and spread around certainly didn't devalue the legit carts floating around so why would this be any different?

As for the carts having Celebi in the pokedex, no. Other save owners have verified that they didn't have Celebi either. I'd be more suspicious of a cart that did have Celebi

Or, all the carts for sale are the clones of the same cart.

It is way too easy to dump and clone retail carts' saves.

They could have easily gotten their hands on an actual distribution cart, clone the save and sale it...

Which is still a better scenario then anyone using the 420 mews to masquerade their cart as a distribution cart.

It's been so long, a lot could have happened to the carts and/or saves.

(I'm not doubting the saves to say the list, just pointing out scenarios or possibilities.)