Is Pokemon Platinum worth getting for owners of Diamond/Pearl?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Is Pokemon Platinum worth getting for owners of Diamond/Pearl?

• Yes
    • No

I noticed on websites such as bulbapedia, marriland and serebii, that pokémon such as Cresselia have moves before the actual catch level.

Example, Cresselia, caught at level 50, but she has moves before level 50

LV MOVE

1 Confusion

1 Double Team

11 Safeguard

20 Mist

29 Aurora Beam

38 Future Sight

47 Slash

57 Moonlight

66 Psycho Cut

75 Psycho Shift

84 Lunar Dance

93 Psychic

How do they know what moves she has before 50 if it is caught at lvl 50? Hacking this pokémon at level one, when leveling up, does she get these moves at these levels? My friend had a book for Emerald, and the official pokémon company had the moves before it's catch level.

Same with hatching steps, how is it known if the pokémon does not hatch?

I noticed on websites such as bulbapedia, marriland and serebii, that pokémon such as Cresselia have moves before the actual catch level.

How do they know what moves she has before 50 if it is caught at lvl 50? Hacking this pokémon at level one, when leveling up, does she get these moves at these levels? My friend had a book for Emerald, and the official pokémon company had the moves before it's catch level.

Pokemon caught or available only at a certain level can get moves that are below their current level through the Move Tutor guy in Pastoria City.

As for the number of steps for hatching, I have the same question also.

BTW, it looks like that this topic should be moved to Small Help Section. ;)

Example, Cresselia, caught at level 50, but she has moves before level 50

LV MOVE

1 Confusion

1 Double Team

11 Safeguard

20 Mist

29 Aurora Beam

38 Future Sight

47 Slash

57 Moonlight

66 Psycho Cut

75 Psycho Shift

84 Lunar Dance

93 Psychic

Same with hatching steps, how is it known if the pokémon does not hatch?

I know empoleon answered it but it was kind of brief...

Now to get those moves onto cresselia you have to make your way over to pastoria city and go into one of the houses. Its the house by the lake and the guy that says he is smack dab in the middle of town. Then you go and talk to the guy inside the house...you will have to have a heart scale otherwise he will not teach cresselia the move.

Heart scales can be obtained by

1. digging underground

2. Doing tasks for the guy in solaceon town

3. or on wild love discs

Now my question...

Ok I'm trying to capture a skorupi on pokemon pearl. Its taking forever. I've seen it but it always flees and its really annoying! Any suggestions for catching it?

All Pokemon have a set number of steps for their egg to hatch in case you hack the game. Its a place holder to prevent the game from "crashing" (Similar to the ??? Arceus), or in this case prevent a bad egg.

ie. If you hack a Darkrai egg into your game, and the game was not programmed with a set number of steps for the egg to hatch, the egg would NEVER hatch.

--------------

As for your Skorupi.... just chuck the balls at it. Its all luck anyway.

Edited by DanteKoriyu

Okay thanks for the help. Does the guy tell you what level the move was learn't?

he will not tell you that, instead, he will offer you a list of all the available moves below that level, and you can just select from that drop down list. And PF was right, you will need heart scales for that.

@DanteKoriyu

thanks for the info about the hatch steps ;)

--------------

As for your Skorupi.... just chuck the balls at it. Its all luck anyway.

Uh problem...Here's my methods so far

1. I chuck mud at it..it stays then I chuck food at it...it stays then I follow up with food or mud and it flees..

2. I chuck food at it...it stays I chuck a ball at it nothing happens then it flees

3. I chuck food at it..it flees

4. I chuck a ball at it...it flees when not caught

The things are annoying! Is there a better way? A method of some sort anyone has come across?

Edit:

Never mind I caught it..hehe...it stayed long enough for 2 baits O.o and then I chucked a ball, crossed my fingers and hoped and now I have a skorupi!

I named it skorpsion and now I go train!

Thanks for the response everyone.

Another question: I know we use catch rates in a formula, but how are the catch rates determined (arceus is 3, but how do we know?)

I'll just stop you right here before we continue on in a back and forth of Q&A's forever.

Arceus has a catch rate of 3 because Gamefreak programmed it to have a catch rate of 3 (Like most other Legendary Pokemon, and some other tough to find ones. ie. Beldum).

All the data you are curious about is stored within the game ROM so that it runs properly, without it, the game would not function, obviously. People, like those on this website, are able to hack into the ROM and extract the information. This is how we get basically everything, including the sprites, catch rates, steps for an egg to hatch, move sets, move tutor/TM/HM elidgeability, Pokemon locations, Pokemon encounter rates, etc.

ie. Nobody is going to actually go through all 500+ Pokemon (including alternate forms) and try to teach them every TM to see what they can learn. All the information is found within the games data by people skilled enough to find it, and them presented to us in a manner us "common folk" will understand.

Thanks for the response everyone.

Another question: I know we use catch rates in a formula, but how are the catch rates determined (arceus is 3, but how do we know?)

As Dante mentioned, it was Gamefreak who determined the catch rates for the pokemon. and as for your query on "how do we know", I advise you to check the pokedex of marriland. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

D: You're kidding....I didn't realize that was still Route 205 after the forest!!

Grah, that IS one of the trees I've been regularly checking, too. Okay, so that means I was checking 3/4 of my Munchlax trees before I ever used the calculator!

(Thank you Wraith~you still need to PM me back :P)

lol. Yep, even after the forest it's all Route 205, hence why there is a distinction between North and South Route 205.

Anyways, I'm playing a new file... and my main bird is Noctowl (before you all scream at me to use Staraptor because it is infinitely better, I KNOW, but I want to play differently because using Infernape and Staraptor will make the game infinitely easy)... it is level 35 right now, but my question is, will it learn a decent offensive move anytime soon? I'm stuck resorting to Confusion and Air Slash for damage...

lol. Yep, even after the forest it's all Route 205, hence why there is a distinction between North and South Route 205.

Oh...I didn't even notice that before! :tongue: Thanks! It makes sense now, I guess, seeing as I was stuck with two honey trees in Route 205, and I was all like "What?" o_O;

Anyways, I'm playing a new file... and my main bird is Noctowl (before you all scream at me to use Staraptor because it is infinitely better, I KNOW, but I want to play differently because using Infernape and Staraptor will make the game infinitely easy)... it is level 35 right now, but my question is, will it learn a decent offensive move anytime soon? I'm stuck resorting to Confusion and Air Slash for damage...

I tried a playthrough with Noctowl as my main bird. It's base stats are pretty low so you'll have to level up very high to do a lot of damage. And for a Pokemon with better special attack than physical, it sure does learn a lot of physical attack moves via level up.

Night Shade is available via egg move (basically a special version of Seismic Toss), it learns Extrasensory at level 42....and Dream Eater way up in the 50s or something.

TLDR: Don't use it for offense, because you'll be sorely dissapointed. Same goes for Pidgeot.

I tried a playthrough with Noctowl as my main bird. It's base stats are pretty low so you'll have to level up very high to do a lot of damage. And for a Pokemon with better special attack than physical, it sure does learn a lot of physical attack moves via level up.

Night Shade is available via egg move (basically a special version of Seismic Toss), it learns Extrasensory at level 42....and Dream Eater way up in the 50s or something.

TLDR: Don't use it for offense, because you'll be sorely dissapointed. Same goes for Pidgeot.

Hmmm Air Slash was doing fine though. Yeah, its offense is pretty low. And Extrasensory at level 42? Two more levels! This is gonna rock :)

I use Noctowl for Reflect and Hypnosis support, nothing else much (Hypnosis misses a fair amount of times though).

Thanks.

Looking further for future moves your pokemon will soon learn? ProjectPokemon's Pokedex is your best friend:

Platinum:

http://projectpokemon.org/pokedex/plpokedex.php

Diamond and Pearl:

http://projectpokemon.org/pokedex/dppokedex.php

Hey guys, I've just recently started using Pokesav and I've figured it out for the most part. When in-game all the pokemon that I have put into the game are fully functional however they are not registered in my pokedex.

(Without realizing.. I altered my pokedex to the national pokedex using pokesav.. not sure if that is relevant or not.)

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance :).

Can I receive the Rotom Secret Key through mixing records (like the Eon ticket), or any other method that doesn't involve a wi-fi connection for a legit copy of Platinum. If I can, I could put the Secret Key onto a ROM copy of Platinum and put it across, or do I need a connection?

Thanks.