Volunteers needed with cleaning animated gifs for Event Gallery

theSLAYER

Well hello hello!

Background
Simple explanation is, the gifs we are using for the Events Gallery, isn't perfect.
Best example here is Pheromosa:
pheromosa.gif

As Pheromosa back texture is meant to be semi-translucent, as a result, it captured the background.

Task for Volunteers
What is required, is for translucent areas to retain their original tint, while being translucent.
Example of effect (using static Pheromosa):

Species   Pheromosa Test 
 Nickname   (default, save lang) 
 OT   (TBA) 
 TID   (TBA) 
 Distribution   (TBA) 
 Location   (TBA) 
 Dates   (TBA) 
 PID   Cannot Be Shiny 
 Games   SM 
  Cherish Ball Lv. 50  

(the green gif background can be seen moving behind it, cause it's back is not fully opaque.)

So the end goal, is to have translucent areas be appropriately translucent, on animated png (.apng)

I'll be attaching the animated gifs (to be edited).
Also attaching the static images with translucent effect as color guide, as I've actually extracted the colors from Pokemon SM textures.
(While fixing opacity and color for still images by myself is possible, it'll be too much to do for all the animated gifs)

Special Consideration
I've also attached 3 Pokemon with glows, as I'm not sure if they look good as they are, namely:
Lanturn, Xurkitree, Cresselia.

While Solosis, Duosion and Reuniclus opacity isn't the most obvious, the background bugs me out.

Apparently, stuff like Nihilego isn't affected, so it wasn't included.

Done and Reserved Pokemon (Don't do these!)
If no apng is submitted after 3 weeks, you'll be dropped.
celebi.pngcelebi-shiny.png(Done by BlackShark)
ezgif-3-2880e6b9f6.png (Done by theSLAYER)

크레셀리아지프.gif(Done by wraith89)

scizor.pngscizor-f.pngscizor-mega.pngscyther.gifscyther-f.gifscizor.gifscizor-f.gifscizor-mega.gifscyther.gifscyther-f.gif (done by andrewism)

Closing words
This is undoubtedly an arduous task, and I'm considering giving a badge, if at least 2 apngs are properly done.
(I'll still need to discuss the staff tho. Example, @evandixon any thoughts about this? @jasenyoface do you think we should put this on our front page?)

If you think I missed out a Pokemon, I'll review the apng and get back to you.

Have fun doing this ><

Attachment
texture.rar

• Like 1
  • Amazed 1

2 minutes ago, Ruby Genseki said:

All the Delete key did was blinking the selection line. For that matter, tried the Backspace key as well and it did absolutely nothing.

I think I'm being more of an annoyance than a help, you know? I mean, I wanted to make the Pheromosa gifs since I like it, but if I've been following the instructions exactly as I'm told and still can't do it... well, either my computer works differently (and I don't know how does it do with these kind of programs since, as I said, it's my first time using one) or I'm just not getting something right.

I'm gonna keep trying to get the thing done, but I dobut I'll be able to.

No worries, you're probably not used to the program.
Make sure only said layer is the visible one,
make sure you're selecting the correct layer,
then wizard an area, and hit delete, and see what happens ><

edit:
Also, I'm starting to think that to achieve partial transparency,
it files needs to be saved as .apng

And if it can't be saved as animated png,
all the layers will need to be dumped, and uploaded to a program/site that can do it,
such as https://ezgif.com/apng-maker

• V-Wheeeeeel!!! 1

edit: yup, all layers need to be extracted, then use apng-maker (linked above) to make a apng,
in order to have variable transparency.

I'll advise using a program that has a feature (or maybe plugins) that allows dumping all layers into separate files, when you're done editing.

example:
ezgif.com-apng-maker.png

Species   CombeeTest 
 OT   (TBA) 
 TID   (TBA) 
 Distribution   (TBA) 
 Location   (TBA) 
 Dates   (TBA) 
 PID   Cannot Be Shiny 
 Games   SM 
  Cherish Ball Lv. 50  

note: above example isn't complete. I just spliced a few frames, to test how it looks like as an animated png.

• V-Wheeeeeel!!! 1

1 hour ago, BlackShark said:

Oh wow, this is going to be hard work!

I tried to clean Celebi, I hope it's ok. Maybe I'm going to do a few more from time to time.

celebi.png.8c43ad1c7afdb326fda2f93f3bbc0866.png

The Celebi looks great! It's perfect!

Yeah, this is rather tedious and laborious, hence I had to ask for help ><

Finally done with one Pheromosa

Species   Pheromosa 
 OT   (TBA) 
 TID   (recipient) 
 Distribution   TEST 
 PID   Cannot Be Shiny 
 Games    
  Cherish Ball Lv. 100  

• Like 1

I would try to help, but maybe I am not understanding this properly, so help me out here. What exactly is changed here? The OP example was not really helpful, but maybe because my eyes are not as strong as they should be. The background was already visible through it, but I am assuming you mean the "hair" is the same shade, yet you are able to see through. It was not too noticeable for me, unfortunately.

Btw GIMP is a stupidly overcomplicated program which makes things that are supposed to be easy much harder due to how it is designed. It can do it, but I always had trouble with it, as there were times I had to do something with alpha layers. Documentations are generally lacking, and since my locale is in Korean the program is partially translated horribly in Korean, some are just phonetic transliterations of words I have very little concept of. Yet that is the only "advanced graphics editor" program I have, and normally I just use MSPaint for everything else.

I'm trying Cressy and I just realised you might mean all that glaring blue stuff.

EDIT: I am very confused about Cresselia here. A lot of the blue on the outside looks extraneous, but is ALL the blue not supposed to be there? I am looking at Serebii's sprite as a reference, there seems to be a little blue there. Or is that an actual error?

488.png

This above is Serebii's rendition.

The abomination I am about to upload is with no blues whatsoever, but I think something is off.

크레세리아1.png

22 minutes ago, Got_Eevees said:

@wraith89

It's awesome!

Your Cressy is so cute.

If you would like, I can send you a PhotosShop CS6 application file though I'm afraid it's a bit complicated for me.

My only hope was Celebi.

Which SOMEONE did.

That is an actual software one has to purchase, so do not say that here.

Look at her right wing (to her right). It is actually a bunch of pink dots now!

I just need confirmation from any expert whether the little bit of blue is necessary, as I am going to go through ~80 frames removing random blue parts, but I see some hints of blue in other places otherwise.

I probably should show the one theSlayer uploaded just for comparison.

cresselia.gif

I personally do think some of the blue does belong, but this rainbow sherbet flavoured wings or whatever it is certainly does not belong. The blue is extraneous, but I do not know to what extent.

Spr_7s_488.png

EDIT: Oh. I did not actually look at the other folder "Normal Sprite". Seems like there is a complete absence of blue in the wings. Still something about the first one I uploaded seems off, as it looks like a scattered bunch of pink dots. But that is probably because this one is in a more aerial view. Just waiting until someone can get back to me on this, but for now, I will have to go remove some blues.

15 minutes ago, wraith89 said:

I just need confirmation whether the little bit of blue is necessary

cresselia.gif

I personally do think some of the blue does belong, but this rainbow sherbet flavoured wings or whatever it is certainly does not belong. The blue is extraneous, but I do not know to what extent.

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but the blue doesn't seem to belong at all -- she's got some translucency due to the glows on her wings, which, as you can see on this in-game pic, are some sort of translucent pink (being possible to partially see the background through them):

Spoiler

59a89324904d1_Sinttulo.png.a5a4ab616da3bbf5e17a1a320ea86b5f.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ruby Genseki said:

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but the blue doesn't seem to belong at all -- she's got some translucency due to the glows on her wings, which, as you can see on this in-game pic, are some sort of translucent pink (being possible to partially see the background through them):

Hide contents

59a89324904d1_Sinttulo.png.a5a4ab616da3bbf5e17a1a320ea86b5f.png

Good grief. Does GIF even support translucency? Now I know the blue is giving shape, and thus that means there was something but somehow it leaked in. Looks like there is a lot more work to do, and it also means I have to look at GIMP's nightmarish interface again to see how to achieve these effects. Hooray!

13 minutes ago, wraith89 said:

Does GIF even support translucency?

They do if you edit it frame by frame.

Now I know the blue is giving shape, and thus that means there was something but somehow it leaked in. Looks like there is a lot more work to do

The blue is most likely just a part of the background the gif was taken from, probably Pokémon XY PokéDex, due to the background color.

and it also means I have to look at GIMP's nightmarish interface again to see how to achieve these effects. Hooray!

I tried to do Pheromosa with GIMP, but I ended giving up (good thing since theSlayer did her anyway and now I'd feel even more frustrated if I was still into it). Far too complicated for someone who has used only MS Paint for editing their whole life.

Edited by Ruby Genseki

Hey all,
I'll like to update you guys on what I did.

1. use the ezgif website to take a gif, and export every frame as a .png
2. edit every .png file
3. import them to ezgif  - APNG maker.

since GIFs don't allow transparency, I had to compile them as APNG instead!

Now, replies:
@Ruby Genseki we can just ignore GIMP.
Just use Paint.net to edit every image, it's easier.

@Got_Eevees I know you're really bitter about it, and I sorry to hear the miscommunication happened :(
But please, let it go.

@wraith89 sorry I just woke up, so I wasn't able to answer your questions earlier (about what's wrong and all)
I guess Paint.net has a glow feature, and that has semi-transparency (I think)
Meaning, we gotta glow every curved-aura- body part.

If that's to troublesome, just edit it without the glow.
I'm saying this, as I'm afraid that at the end, the glow will be hard to see, with it being small and moving, against a grey background that also has transparency.

This is a bit long and technical,
so split from above.

Here's an example of Cressy glow:
(I added blue background to make the glow a bit more obvious)
cres glow2.pngcres glow2.png

And here's how I did it:

Spoiler

Basically what I did was, take the wings and tail, copy it to a layer behind cresselia.
cap1.PNG

Then cloned that layer
cap2.PNG

then did "Glow" to that bottom layer, twice.
cap3.PNG

This is the setting I used per glow:
cap4.PNG

Finally unhide Cressy, and export as PNG!
cap5.PNG

2 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

EDIT:
Here's an example of Cressy glow:
(I added blue background to make the glow a bit more obvious)
cres glow2.pngcres glow2.png

And here's how I did it:

Hide contents

Basically what I did was, take the wings and tail, copy it to a layer behind cresselia.
cap1.PNG

Then cloned that layer
cap2.PNG

then did "Glow" to that bottom layer, twice.
cap3.PNG

This is the setting I used per glow:
cap4.PNG

Finally unhide Cressy, and export as PNG!
cap5.PNG

Not a problem mate. I knew you had to be asleep anyways.

I found a 110+ frame one without the glow, and I was already doing the 78 one you sent removing all the blues. But it seems you wanted the glow on it, so I can do that when I have time later. I actually have a Bible exam to take. It should not be hard for me, so I can get to that afterwards.

크레셀리아지프.gif

• Like 1

I'm just testing if the glow make any differences (in terms of visibility)

That Cresselia you've done is really nice! :D

Good luck with your Bible exam!

Species   Cresselia 
 OT   (TBA) 
 TID   (recipient) 
 Distribution   TEST 
 PID   Cannot Be Shiny 
 Games    
  Cherish Ball Lv. 100  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

I'm just testing if the glow make any differences (in terms of visibility)

That Cresselia you've done is really nice! :D

Good luck with your Bible exam!

Species   Cresselia 
 OT   (TBA) 
 TID   (recipient) 
 Distribution   TEST 
 PID   Cannot Be Shiny 
 Games    
  Cherish Ball Lv. 100  

@theSLAYER You know I've grown attached to the rainbow sherbet Cresselia. Thanks. I can try the shiny one later too.

@Got_Eevees Thanks. But just pick another mon to work on. It was an accident on behalf of BlackShark anyhow. Or just see if you can finish the Celebi's frames.

세레비.gif

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, new member here! :) I want to contribute to the community somehow yet lack the technical experience (for now) for the other projects. I do however have some experience in Photoshop and would like to help out with this! Considering there hasn't been any replies since August, are there still any gifs I can help out with?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, andrewism said:

Hi, new member here! :) I want to contribute to the community somehow yet lack the technical experience (for now) for the other projects. I do however have some experience in Photoshop and would like to help out with this! Considering there hasn't been any replies since August, are there still any gifs I can help out with?

Hmmm, just start on one and announce it!

In the mean time, I should edit first post to reflect what has been done.

11 minutes ago, andrewism said:

Will do! I got a test later today so I'll try it out afterwards

Sure!
Do take note for partial transparency/opacity, we need it to be animated pngs!

I'm not aware if Photoshop allows exporting to that format,
but if it doesn't, https://ezgif.com/apng-maker allows bulk import of PNG files, to create a apng. Set a delay (same as original), and you'll be good!

I'll work on Scizor first! I think found a relatively quick method to fix the simple transparent winged Poke's:

image.thumb.png.4cd49d31eb4fc534cc3d56d58599580c.png

Just gotta polarize it then replace the colors and transparency. The selection has to be done manually, but the polarizing and color replacement can be automated, so I can probably finish up a few of them quickly :) But for now I should study first haha, just wanted to test it out

Edited by andrewism
  • Like 1
  • Proud 1

I think they're great!
Testing:

Species   Scizor (Mega) 
 OT   (TBA) 
 TID   (recipient) 
 Distribution   TEST 
 PID   Cannot Be Shiny 
 Games    
  Cherish Ball Lv. 100  

'

Species   Scizor 
 OT   (TBA) 
 TID   (recipient) 
 Distribution   TEST 
 PID   Cannot Be Shiny 
 Games    
  Cherish Ball Lv. 100  

Species   Scizor 
 OT   (TBA) 
 TID   (recipient) 
 Distribution   TEST 
 PID   Cannot Be Shiny 
 Games    
  Cherish Ball Lv. 100  

Transparency and animations are both workig!

• V-Wheeeeeel!!! 1