Giving a Pokémon "Legendary" Status

Now this is something I've always wanted to know how to do, but never could figure it out.

As anyone who's used the Wild Modifier code in either the 4th gen or 5th gen games probably knows, whenever you encounter a certain Pokémon special music will play. This is generally used for legendaries though with a few exceptions too. I'm looking for how to do this in Gen V, though information on Gen IV would be nice too, if it's even possible to do either...

Just to give a summary, certain Pokémon in BW will produce a different music track to the normal wild battle theme when encountered in a fight. There's also differences in how the battle is actually entered (i.e. the transition from field to battle).

In B/W, these are:

Zoroark -

plays, and the battle is entered with a sort of swirl inward, which then expands into white.

Volcarona, Victini - The normal

plays, but the screen sort of shakes like liquid (hard to explain) as it transitions. Victini has the exact same transition, but instead has the standard legendary music playing, as seen below with the musketeers.

Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Keldeo - The standard legendary theme plays, and the transition uses about three or four green 'slashes', which causes the appearance of broken glass then goes into battle (kinda like the Tales games :x) It's kind of strange that Keldeo even has the music too, seeing as it doesn't appear in the game.

Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus - The standard legendary music also plays with them, though the transition is instead a ray of light piercing across the center of the screen, followed by the midpoint expanding into the battle.

Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem - A swirl of light appears in the center of the screen and expands into the fight. Their own theme music plays, although

and
all have seperate tracks that are mostly the same, but with a different background sound (or a new instrument in Kyurem's case).

Meloetta and Genesect have no special music, nor do any of the older Pokémon.

The one thing I can state is that it isn't to do with anything in a/0/1/6; I did a little test a while back where I put Victini's data into Ekans' slot. While the stats, type etcetera transferred fine as expected, there was no change to the music or the battle transition, so it must be rooted somewhere else.

It'd be a nice presentation touch if it's possible to do something like this, though I can see it being difficult for some reason.

Anyway, any ideas?

Check KazoWAR's random encounter LUA script. There's certain offsets in game that need to be toggled for the encounter, but you'd then need to find out how to trigger that.

I doubt you'd be able to change the music as all of the legends have their own scripts, and wild Pokemon have their own section different from legends.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I was interested in this too while working on a hack of Pokémon Diamond and managed to discover how it works, but only halfway.

In the arm9.bin file, there's a section with 31 "entries" of 4 bytes each. The first two bytes set an animation, while the others set the battle music. Editing them you can do what you want, but the problem is that I don't know how each Pokémon is assigned to an entry (that's why I said it was "halfway"). And if you assign a town/city/route theme to one entry, the sound effects don't play.

I was able to do this:

[video=youtube;bZ7ZFEY6J0I]

Wow, I don't even remember that last music. I mean, other than it's a remix of the old gym theme, right?

Still, that's.... awesome :D Great work.

It's a remix of the RSE Elite Four battle theme. It appears there because of the hack (that's a video of Pokémon DarkDiamond).

Markitus, that's amazing o-o I'd be interested to know how you do/did it once you're willing to release info and stuff.

I'd probably be more interested in HGSS at this point, but DPPt might help with how to actually find that. I did a quick search of the ARM9 myself but it's evidently harder than just searching for Pokémon hex values.

edit: On second thought there's no generic legendary theme in hgss, so the music might be pointless... Screen shaking would still be cool though.

Edited by Drayano