Which Starter Are You Going To Choose?  

360 members have voted

1. 1. Which Starter Are You Going To Choose?

• Chikorita
    • Cyndaquil
    • Totodile

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really depends on how you use the starters. Feraligatr in competitive battles has the potential to shred a whole team if used properly (via Dragon Dance set). Back then, though, Feraligatr was the worst Johto starter due to his bad stat distribution.

I'll give you that, Gator is definitely the best Johto starter now. It used to be Typhlosion, but some of his useful moves have become physical, and physical isn't exactly Typhlosion's forte. And I'm STILL angry at Gamefreak for giving Typhlosion GYRO BALL... stop giving these Pokes useless moves! (BTW Gyro Ball is useful for PHYSICAL SLOW Pokemon... Typhlosion's EXACTLY the opposite of that) :)

Gator is definitely the best Johto starter now. It used to be Typhlosion, but some of his useful moves have become physical, and physical isn't exactly Typhlosion's forte.

I don't disagree on any point in particular, but for in-game stuff, the Cyndaquil family still has the edge over more of the Gym Leaders than the other starters, due to Type advantages.

I don't disagree on any point in particular, but for in-game stuff, the Cyndaquil family still has the edge over more of the Gym Leaders than the other starters, due to Type advantages.

That's true. I was talking more about the competitive battling.

For in-game, Cyndaquil has the advantage of hitting Bugsy's Pokemon for super effective and for learning more offensive attacks. Plus his stats are more geared for in-game domination: great special attack and speed. I'll agree with you that Cyndaquil is best for in-game.

Totodile has neither real advantages nor disadvantages, but he's still a fine choice for in-game.

Her stat distribution is geared towards defense. Also, her movepool is filled with support moves that would work great in competitive battling (especially UU), but in-game, she's hard to use with only Tackle and Razor Leaf and Magical Leaf as her only attacks. Also, she isn't learning Body Slam until she becomes a level 44 Meganium, forcing you to use Tackle (unless you taught her an HM, but that's a BAD idea). Also, notice how most in-game trainers LOVE using Zubats and other stuff that are resistant to Grass. If they resist Grass, you're basically stuck with Tackle for damage. Poisonpowder isn't helpful at all because most trainers you fight use Poison Pokemon, which are immune to it.

Bottom line: Chikorita is meant for experts. But I'll be picking her for a great challenge.

Don't ask me, ask Gamefreak and their monkeys. Anyways, before we go off-topic TOO much, we'll leave it so that other people can answer this.

[sprite]152[/sprite]

Chikorita - pick this plant if you're going the hard way. While she does get a plethora of supporting moves such as Reflect, Light Screen and Safeguard, her only offensive moves will be Tackle and Razor Leaf until she finally learns Body Slam at a really late level, which is BAD. The first two gyms are two types Chikorita has trouble again (lol @ a Gym Leader with a level 7 Pidgey and level 9 Pidgeotto), but if you really want a challenge and love plant Pokemon, pick Chikorita. Competitively, she works wonderfully as a Cleric and supporter, but other grass types do much better since they can actually cast status other than Toxic. She's really Bulbasaur without the Poison typing and the movepool and the Special Attack traded for Defense.

[sprite]155[/sprite]

Cyndaquil- everyone's best friend from the start. We all know he's the best, right? Awesome special attack, really quick, learning Thunderpunch as Typhlosion to take advantage of that wicked special attack (offer not valid in DPP). He'll do you good because he's quick and strong with that powerful Ember, and that he evolves into Quilava at level 14 (but evolves into Typhlosion at level 36)... but why use him when there are other better Fire types out there? He also has the same stats as Charmander... which doesn't show any form of uniqueness, but his biggest merit is that he is the fastest Eruption user in UU. Cyndaquil was the best starter back in GSC, but now he's dethroned by Totodile. But don't let that fool you. He'll do well in-game, has an advantage against Bugsy the second gym leader, and will help you win battles, but just handle with care. Fire types are rare and hard to come across, so if you don't want to wait to get a Fire type after Goldenrod... he's definitely your choice. Cyndaquil's considered the easy mode in this game.

[sprite]158[/sprite]

Totodile- ewww. A water type? Why would I want one? He is the worst of the GSC starters because of those misaligned stats, right? Hold on a minute! That was the case back in GSC and RSE (developers got lazy with the movepool in Gen III), but now that's not true! Totodile's back with a brand new rep! Thanks to the Physical/Special Split in DPP, he benefited a lot from it thanks to that large physical movepool of his. We got Waterfall, Crunch, Rock Slide, Ice Punch, Earthquake, Flail... it's gone a LOT better! He can raise his stats with Agility and Swords Dance if needed... and if you breed him, he can learn the awesome Dragon Dance! How's that for the energetic crocodile? Competitively, he's great, but the problem is, he gets overshadowed by Gyarados. Bummer. But still, being the worst GSC starter into the best does a lot for this guy, especially if you consider how he WAS back then and what he IS now. Totodile evolves into Croconaw at level 18 and evolves into Feraligatr at level 30.

Bringing back the stuff I wrote before for people who can't decide.

I am not able to choose between 3 Pokemon q.q

I like all of them Q_Q

K....

Lets pretend I will not trade all 3 to one save file before really playing.

Back in the old times I used to choose Cyndaquil <3. Reasons being quite obvious, it was quite more of a sweeper than the other 2. And fast hard hitting Pokemon are the fastest at going through the game. It's movepool wasn't colorful, but neither where those of the other 2 starters.

I can exclude Totodile (but it's so awesome q.q), because there are always at least 3 water HMs and I wouldn't like screwing my starters moveset with HMs and I'm alergic to having 2 Pokemon of the same type with me xD.

So it would be Chikorita <3

wheeww.. difficult choice because these were the best starters of all generations.. But I think I will go for cyndaquil, in my first game:D. Because that's what I did on my original silver game and because typhlosion is totaly awesome. I think that when the game comes out I will trade totodile and chycorita also to my game.. There are enough people who will also buy the game here..

G.

Like I haven't already seen that choice. What makes Cyndaquil so good? Totodile is better isn't it?

Cyndaquil is better for in-game. Your tone sounds a little rude Floot :(

And people love Cyndaquil! I'm not picking him though (you know why).

And yes, Totodile is better for competitive battles... MUCH better.

Welcome Cyndaquil. You're a new member? Why don't you introduce yourself in the introduction boards? :)

It gets obvious sometimes. I hate obvious.

I find it funny that your avatar is a mishmash of Pikachu and Mewtwo, two Pokémon who are / were basically representative of the whole series. ;)

But to be honest, can you blame people for liking Cyndaquil? It's definitely the cutest of the three.