Which Starter Are You Going To Choose?  

360 members have voted

1. 1. Which Starter Are You Going To Choose?

• Chikorita
    • Cyndaquil
    • Totodile

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chikorita still is quite short. I guess people are not so competitive like Flootenkerp and me.

Or they don't use the same strategies as prescribed by Smogon and the like. You can be competitive with whatever the heck you want.

In fact, unpredictability is a pretty good strategy. If someone knows what moveset you have the second you send out a certain pokemon, then that's bad news.

But this isn't a strategy debate.

I chose Totodile.

Stickin with the same one from my original playthrough. Plus, it'll be better this time around with physical and special being move specific instead of type specific.

Definitely going with Cyndaquil on SoulSilver for my main play through. He was the one I thought looked the coolest when I first played GSC and he was also the fire starter. I always pick the fire starter in every generation, no matter if you have an advantage with it or not, simply because I think the fire starters have better designs than the others in ever generation. I still like some of the other starters quite a bit, but burning my path though the game is my tradition.

As for HeartGold, I'll probably pick Chikorita so I can transfer it over to SoulSilver, and then restart and play through it with Totodile.

Most people choose Pokémon based on how cool they look. I bet a lot of people who vote for Totodile and Cyndaquil still might be very good battlers.

Eh, Typhlsion's "okay" in competitive battling. The only reason you'd use him is for STAB Eruption... nothing else. Other than that, most other Fire Pokemon outclass him. That's what he gets for being a pure Fire type :(

Totodile on the other hand... is actually awesome. Too bad Gyarados outclasses him in almost many ways aside from Gator getting access to Sword Dance, Ice Punch, and Torrent.

Meganium is a good supporter to the team. With Meganium's healing moves it can make your team stick around for quite a while.

I use her as a cleric, but too bad other grassers do her job better (Vileplume and Bellossom especially in UU).

If they added Power Gem (or a non-bred Ancientpower) to Chikorita's movepool as they added Metal Claw to Charmander's movepool it would ease her gameplay experience a LOT.

The funny thing is... when I tried Chikorita... I had to use a WHOLE LOT of other Pokes along with her. With Totodile or Cyndaquil, I was able to solo the game with just them (except against Whitney and Morty, but that's a different story). Some people might just bench Chikorita and get a... I don't know... a Fearow. BTW those early game Geodudes are SO useful, but I was never able to find one when I got my Pokeballs (you know, in that route above the first Johto route where Spearows and Jigglypuff and Geodudes are?)

hhmm i might just pick chicorita now you guys are kinda convincing me...

i love a challenge :D

Oh boy. That plant's gonna have a REALLY tough time against Falkner's Pidgeotto and Bugsy's Scyther >=D

And Floot, I never thought about it that way. Good thinking ;)

Although when I did pick Totodile, I caught a Caterpie and made it a Butterfree anyways...

Then I caught a Gastly, a Bellsprout, a Sandshrew and a whole bunch of different pokes.

Oh boy. That plant's gonna have a REALLY tough time against Falkner's Pidgeotto and Bugsy's Scyther >=D

And Floot, I never thought about it that way. Good thinking ;)

Although when I did pick Totodile, I caught a Caterpie and made it a Butterfree anyways...

Thanks. You see, if you saw my record in the GSC section, I have seen 230 Pokémon and own 184. This is because my Chikorita only lasted through at least 3 Pokémon, so my last resort was to catch ever Pokémon in sight. Now I'm focusing on baby Pokémon, but you can see how Chikorita would affect your entire gameplay.

Meh. If you say so. But starters in GSC didn't have much of an effect for me in-game. I just stuck with a better Pokemon eventually (namely Lapras) and did through the whole game without using Feraligatr other than it being an HM slave. Cruel, I know... but he had very little use in GSC.

Not many people knew you could catch Lapras every Friday. That's why a starter would play a big roll in the game. Catching Pokémon and training harder to beat gyms is a good outcome of Chikorita. But I am going to choose Cyndaquil for SS for slightly more ease.

It didn't even have to be Lapras. Better water Pokemon are everywhere! There's Slowbro, Kingdra, Starmie, Poliwrath, er... bleh. Funny thing is GSC was filled with weak Pokemon. Silver must have been right X_X

As for grass pokes, there were PLENTY of other choices. Your Bellsprout from the early game was a PAIN to train with only a 10 PP Vine Whip which you need to baby until it evolves and then learn Acid at level 26 X_X, but aside from that, there was also Oddish from Ilex Forest and some other good Plant pokes that could replace Chikorita. Chikorita was a bit, well... not so great.

None of the GSC starters were what I'd call awesome, which is why Cyndaquil was preferred then. Aside from Growlithe and Vulpix (which came in the early mid-game), there were not much Fire pokes to use :-/

Chikorita is okay, but not good enough, which will force you to catch other Pokémon and train them which will lead to evolution which will lead to your Pokédex filling up. That's why Chikorita is such a good choice.

Is that the only reason why? :creep:

Your starter surely isn't the only incentive in catching more Pokemon is all I mean. You put such a huge emphasis on the starter choice being the main incentive in catching more Pokemon. It certainly does contribute, but it's certainly not the main reason to catch more Pokes :-/

Grass usually have a lot of weaknesses too, though. Don't they have like five?

Fire only has three, Water only has two. ;D

Grass is weak to Fire, Ice, Flying, Bug, Poison

Fire is weak to Water, Ground, Rock (all three are SO COMMON X_X)

Water is weak to Electric and Grass