Which Starter Are You Going To Choose?  

360 members have voted

1. 1. Which Starter Are You Going To Choose?

• Chikorita
    • Cyndaquil
    • Totodile

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm going to go for Totodile, it learns Ice fang quite early on which gives it a nice advantage; Typhlosion is basically a Charizard without the flying type (which isnt a bad thing, but it's not terribly imaginative), so while in the orginal Silver I went that way, I think trading an Chimchar or Torchic from Platinum is the better option for the fire type. Never did like Chikorita, never had a problem with its stats, just dont LIKE it.

Will probably change my mind a dozen times before the English localisations come around though...

Much like with which version I am choosing, I shall choose the same starter, too. =n.n= I want to experience the game with a similar initial setup to really feel the difference between the two versions... Thus, Totodile will once again be my starter. =n.n=

• 1 month later...

Well, The battle is CLEARLY between Feraligatr and Typhlosion. Now i will quickly run over the differences.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb or Expert Belt

4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

(Adamant)

- Dragon Dance

- Waterfall

- Ice Punch

- Earthquake

This is the best set for beating tough trainers (Elite Four, Gyms, ..)

But! If you want a more type covering / versatile set for overall fights, this is the one:

Feraligatr @ Leftovers or Expert Belt

4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

(Adamant OR Jolly)

- Ice Punch

- Waterfall

- Earthquake

- Superpower

However Typhlosion can be a good choice too:

Typhlosion @ Expert Belt or Leftovers

4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

(Modest or Timid)

- Eruption

- Flamethrower (When health is low)

- Solar Beam

- Focus Blast

The Final Conclusion: Feraligatr is the best choice as a starter as it covers more types which makes your game much easier.

Dragon Dance requires breeding... which no one really does while clearing in-game. Competitively, of course Feraligatr usurped Typhlosion as the best Johto starter, but for in game... yeah, Gator wins hands down. Water Gun is acquired at level 6 or 7 I believe, and it learns Ice Fang quite early as a Totodile, and becomes Feraligatr at level 30, earlier than the other two (although it becomes Croconaw at level 18, which is later than the other two). It also gets a plethora of physical attacks such as Crunch, Aqua Tail, Superpower and the HM Waterfall, and a Surfing Feraligatr is not a bad idea either. As for Typhlosion? Let's see... Ember, Flame Wheel, Flamethrower... way too many Fire moves and Fire that. And its Heart Scale secret move is... GYRO BALL?!! That runs off its PHYSICAL ATTACK AND Typhlosion has base 100 speed! Good luck using that if you want to. As for Thunderpunch? It runs off its physical attack now, so it is not very effective. Back then in GSC, Typhlosion was the best of the three... but even then, the Johto starters were not good news...

But you know Namexx... I think people are choosing Pokemon for who their favorites are rather than for competitive battling. At least that is the major consensus. Yes, Chikorita is CLEARLY the worst, but I am picking Chikorita. :|

Every time I played I picked a different one. Gold=Chikorita, Silver=Cyndaquil, Crystal=Totodile. This time around, I'm getting both games(HG and SS). I'll pick Cyndaquil and Totodile, just becuase they tend to be stronger at level 100. Besides, I already had a Meganium from Colosseum along with the other 2, but the Bayleef was the one I always chose in that game.

• 3 weeks later...