Which Starter Are You Going To Choose?  

360 members have voted

1. 1. Which Starter Are You Going To Choose?

• Chikorita
    • Cyndaquil
    • Totodile

Dragon Dance requires breeding... which no one really does while clearing in-game. Competitively, of course Feraligatr usurped Typhlosion as the best Johto starter, but for in game... yeah, Gator wins hands down. Water Gun is acquired at level 6 or 7 I believe, and it learns Ice Fang quite early as a Totodile, and becomes Feraligatr at level 30, earlier than the other two (although it becomes Croconaw at level 18, which is later than the other two). It also gets a plethora of physical attacks such as Crunch, Aqua Tail, Superpower and the HM Waterfall, and a Surfing Feraligatr is not a bad idea either. As for Typhlosion? Let's see... Ember, Flame Wheel, Flamethrower... way too many Fire moves and Fire that. And its Heart Scale secret move is... GYRO BALL?!! That runs off its PHYSICAL ATTACK AND Typhlosion has base 100 speed! Good luck using that if you want to. As for Thunderpunch? It runs off its physical attack now, so it is not very effective. Back then in GSC, Typhlosion was the best of the three... but even then, the Johto starters were not good news...

But you know Namexx... I think people are choosing Pokemon for who their favorites are rather than for competitive battling. At least that is the major consensus. Yes, Chikorita is CLEARLY the worst, but I am picking Chikorita. :|

Leave it to wraith to break it down in competitive terms and whatnot. I agree with everything he said by the way.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leave it to wraith to break it down in competitive terms and whatnot.

I am kinda getting used to that. :P

Indeed as everyone said, Chicorita is the worst started of the Johto ones. But if i was new i would have had a rough time. Next game i will be using Totodile.

Edited by Mewtwo Ex
Small typo

I am kinds getting used to that. :P

Indeed as everyone said, Chicorita is the worst started of the Johto ones. But if i was new i would have had a rough time. Next game i will be using Totodile.

Don't disrespect Chikorita! I raised mine to level 100 in the original. I whomped lots of other Pokémon!

Don't disrespect Chikorita! I raised mine to level 100 in the original. I whomped lots of other Pokémon!

I am not saying that a LV 100 Chicorita is weak against a Lv 4 Pidgey. (It actually is) But compared to the other starters... We both know that it is not only brawn. EV and IV, but that is another story. Chances are that most people will not spend hours upon hours trying to get a good nature and IV'ed one during clearing and even after that it fails to most walls.

I am not saying that a LV 100 Chicorita is weak against a Lv 4 Pidgey. (It actually is) But compared to the other starters... We both know that it is not only brawn. EV and IV, but that is another story. Chances are that most people will not spend hours upon hours trying to get a good nature and IV'ed one during clearing and even after that it fails to most walls.

Actually, most people don't care about that... AT ALL. I just pick the Pokemon as it is... the IV/nature stuff comes during breeding. THAT part is where all the pain comes from. I don't want my adventure to be postponed just because, well, I'm not getting a 31 IV across the board Chikorita with Calm/Bold nature or whatever. :P

Still, I wish they gave it a rock move as a level up move like how they gave Metal Claw to Charmander in FRLG. Apparently these guys don't care >.>

Oh yes generation 5 bring it on! I can't wait to see the new starters, I was a bit miffed with 4th generation, what with re-using Fire/Fighting. I've always chosen the Fire starter, ever since Pokemon Yellow. ^^ But I think I'm gonna get Totodile, because I have Meganium and Typhlosion on Pearl (From Emerald). Also I want to try out a Water starter, as I have never tried one. :P

I was totally gonna go for [shinysprite]158[/shinysprite], then I found out Cyndaquil Egg learns Extrasensory so I was totally gonna use [sprite]155[/sprite], but that Ice fang is calling me back with the 1st Gym leader. Why is Mareep just beyond the leader?

Also as my wifi doesn't connect Pokemon games competitive isn't a choice for me its all in game that matters. I just read the looooooonnnnngg conversation thats been going since well before I joined. Because I want a decent challenge I think of looks in my choice, but Extrasensory was fabulous for training the birds from xD so Extrasensory overrides Totodiles looks. Plus I gotta incorporate any shinys so Red Gyarados and Feraligatr would be too much water. I don't really see any reason to choose Chicorita, I don't like hard games, thats why I've played Pokemon since it started.

I was totally gonna go for [shinysprite]158[/shinysprite], then I found out Cyndaquil Egg learns Extrasensory so I was totally gonna use [sprite]155[/sprite], but that Ice fang is calling me back with the 1st Gym leader. Why is Mareep just beyond the leader?

Falkner should not be the issue here. I believe no one picks a starter just because it is good against Brock or whatnot, since the major consensus seems to pick Charmander, who is disadvantaged against Brock. Just pick your favorite and train with it and it should not be a problem. That Pidgeotto is still evil though... so you might want to grab a Geodude if your starter isn't too strong.

Butterfree was pretty awesome. I chose Bulbasaur when my fav was squirtle because of the effects on two gym leaders(yes I'm aware of forest pikachu and nidoran and such, but I wanted quick quality) I never had any issue with Volkner, not even the Pidgeotto(I probably just caught a geodude and had an awesome Gastly), but I like type dominating gym battles. I enjoy the demolition of the respected people. Especially when they don't help there people (Sabrina/Elite Four not helping with the Saffron incident). But even aside from Volkner I like Feraligatr, and love Extrasensory. Tough choice...

i actually enjoy when the types are against me, i beat blaine with a venusaur, misty with charizard (i had a lot of time on my hands and still do) and lt surge with blastoise ( i played on yellow which you could get all 3 on the same save)

anyway, i might just start two saves with my ar dsi, one chooses totodile, the other choose cyndaquil, then use pokesav and my ar dsi to move the cyndaquil to the totodile save

Give it 4 more years, that time will be the thing you miss most of being young. I'm pretty sure its gonna be Cyndaquil. Does anyone who already has the game know what point you can start trading with Diamond/Pearl/Platinum?

You can trade anytime during the game, you don't need to defeat the Elite 4 or unlock the National Dex.

• 1 month later...

Totodile, because he's the starter I picked in my first playthrough of a Gen II game. My first Gen II game was Gold, so I'll make HeartGold my main game and play as a Male. I'll still play through SoulSilver as well, but as a Female. I'll still pick Totodile in SoulSilver. After reading through the posts, it's nice to know my starter (somehow) topped the charts in terms of the best Gen II starter. :) ~STBE