Which Starter Are You Going To Choose?  

360 members have voted

1. 1. Which Starter Are You Going To Choose?

• Chikorita
    • Cyndaquil
    • Totodile

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:(

Why does everyone hate Croconaw? I think he's cute :) Heck, am I the ONLY one who thinks he is? :P

And kudos to you... more Chikorita users! Does anyone know if her movepool got increased from that very limited movepool from GSC and RSE?

:(

Why does everyone hate Croconaw? I think he's cute :) Heck, am I the ONLY one who thinks he is? :P

And kudos to you... more Chikorita users! Does anyone know if her movepool got increased from that very limited movepool from GSC and RSE?

I think it did.

An watching this article make's me reconsider what Pokemon i'm going to choose.

Suggestions?

[sprite]152[/sprite]

Chikorita - pick this plant if you're going the hard way. While she does get a plethora of supporting moves such as Reflect, Light Screen and Safeguard, her only offensive moves will be Tackle and Razor Leaf until she finally learns Body Slam at a really late level, which is BAD. The first two gyms are two types Chikorita has trouble again (lol @ a Gym Leader with a level 7 Pidgey and level 9 Pidgeotto), but if you really want a challenge and love plant Pokemon, pick Chikorita. Competitively, she works wonderfully as a Cleric and supporter, but other grass types do much better since they can actually cast status other than Toxic. She's really Bulbasaur without the Poison typing and the movepool and the Special Attack traded for Defense.

[sprite]155[/sprite]

Cyndaquil- everyone's best friend from the start. We all know he's the best, right? Awesome special attack, really quick, learning Thunderpunch as Typhlosion to take advantage of that wicked special attack (offer not valid in DPP). He'll do you good because he's quick and strong with that powerful Ember, and that he evolves into Quilava at level 14 (but evolves into Typhlosion at level 36)... but why use him when there are other better Fire types out there? He also has the same stats as Charmander... which doesn't show any form of uniqueness, but his biggest merit is that he is the fastest Eruption user in UU. Cyndaquil was the best starter back in GSC, but now he's dethroned by Totodile. But don't let that fool you. He'll do well in-game, has an advantage against Bugsy the second gym leader, and will help you win battles, but just handle with care. Fire types are rare and hard to come across, so if you don't want to wait to get a Fire type after Goldenrod... he's definitely your choice. Cyndaquil's considered the easy mode in this game.

[sprite]158[/sprite]

Totodile- ewww. A water type? Why would I want one? He is the worst of the GSC starters because of those misaligned stats, right? Hold on a minute! That was the case back in GSC and RSE (developers got lazy with the movepool in Gen III), but now that's not true! Totodile's back with a brand new rep! Thanks to the Physical/Special Split in DPP, he benefited a lot from it thanks to that large physical movepool of his. We got Waterfall, Crunch, Rock Slide, Ice Punch, Earthquake, Flail... it's gone a LOT better! He can raise his stats with Agility and Swords Dance if needed... and if you breed him, he can learn the awesome Dragon Dance! How's that for the energetic crocodile? Competitively, he's great, but the problem is, he gets overshadowed by Gyarados. Bummer. But still, being the worst GSC starter into the best does a lot for this guy, especially if you consider how he WAS back then and what he IS now. Totodile evolves into Croconaw at level 18 and evolves into Feraligatr at level 30.

[sprite]152[/sprite]

Chikorita - pick this plant if you're going the hard way. While she does get a plethora of supporting moves such as Reflect, Light Screen and Safeguard, her only offensive moves will be Tackle and Razor Leaf until she finally learns Body Slam at a really late level, which is BAD. The first two gyms are two types Chikorita has trouble again (lol @ a Gym Leader with a level 7 Pidgey and level 9 Pidgeotto), but if you really want a challenge and love plant Pokemon, pick Chikorita. Competitively, she works wonderfully as a Cleric and supporter, but other grass types do much better since they can actually cast status other than Toxic. She's really Bulbasaur without the Poison typing and the movepool and the Special Attack traded for Defense.

[sprite]155[/sprite]

Cyndaquil- everyone's best friend from the start. We all know he's the best, right? Awesome special attack, really quick, learning Thunderpunch as Typhlosion to take advantage of that wicked special attack (offer not valid in DPP). He'll do you good because he's quick and strong with that powerful Ember, and that he evolves into Quilava at level 14 (but evolves into Typhlosion at level 36)... but why use him when there are other better Fire types out there? He also has the same stats as Charmander... which doesn't show any form of uniqueness, but his biggest merit is that he is the fastest Eruption user in UU. Cyndaquil was the best starter back in GSC, but now he's dethroned by Totodile. But don't let that fool you. He'll do well in-game, has an advantage against Bugsy the second gym leader, and will help you win battles, but just handle with care. Fire types are rare and hard to come across, so if you don't want to wait to get a Fire type after Goldenrod... he's definitely your choice. Cyndaquil's considered the easy mode in this game.

[sprite]158[/sprite]

Totodile- ewww. A water type? Why would I want one? He is the worst of the GSC starters because of those misaligned stats, right? Hold on a minute! That was the case back in GSC and RSE (developers got lazy with the movepool in Gen III), but now that's not true! Totodile's back with a brand new rep! Thanks to the Physical/Special Split in DPP, he benefited a lot from it thanks to that large physical movepool of his. We got Waterfall, Crunch, Rock Slide, Ice Punch, Earthquake, Flail... it's gone a LOT better! He can raise his stats with Agility and Swords Dance if needed... and if you breed him, he can learn the awesome Dragon Dance! How's that for the energetic crocodile? Competitively, he's great, but the problem is, he gets overshadowed by Gyarados. Bummer. But still, being the worst GSC starter into the best does a lot for this guy, especially if you consider how he WAS back then and what he IS now. Totodile evolves into Croconaw at level 18 and evolves into Feraligatr at level 30.

Great work on the post above. Then it's settled i'm picking Chikorita im up for a challenge. It does not matter really. I am thinking of sending a LV. 2 Mewtwo like i will to platinum, and keep it when i feel like doing damage.(my last one has 444 Sp. attack)

Thanks. Mewtwo is my favorite Pokemon ^_^

I tried making Mewtwo my starter in Ruby Sapphire... it didn't work out so well... because I had to fight that Poochyena in the beginning with Confusion... ouch.

So here's how the difficulty goes:

Beginners: choose Cyndaquil

Midbies: choose Totodile

Experts and Veterans: choose Chikorita (or if you're an obsessive Grass lover)

BTW it's MEGANIUM that learns Body Slam at level 44 :(

But when Bayleef evolves into Meganium, she learns Petal Dance immediately. Her offensive movepool before is Razor Leaf and Magical Leaf... and Tackle. Other than that, we have Poisonpowder, Reflect, Synthesis... they're not all that bad I guess.

Thanks. Mewtwo is my favorite Pokemon ^_^

I tried making Mewtwo my starter in Ruby Sapphire... it didn't work out so well... because I had to fight that Poochyena in the beginning with Confusion... ouch.

So here's how the difficulty goes:

Beginners: choose Cyndaquil

Midbies: choose Totodile

Experts and Veterans: choose Chikorita (or if you're an obsessive Grass lover)

BTW it's MEGANIUM that learns Body Slam at level 44 :(

But when Bayleef evolves into Meganium, she learns Petal Dance immediately. Her offensive movepool before is Razor Leaf and Magical Leaf... and Tackle. Other than that, we have Poisonpowder, Reflect, Synthesis... they're not all that bad I guess.

I just made the IV to max and used the encounter code.

and a few hundred Pokeball's or a handful of Masterball's

And There you have it.

Well, I'm definitely not going to choose Cyndaquil, considering it's ezmode. Plus all my friend's normally pick the fire starter, and I like to pick something different.

Chikorita gives the biggest in-game challenge, so that's a plus for me, considering I find the main storylines to be too easy.

But that post about Totodiles strengths really make me consider choosing him for multiplayer play.

I'm goin' to choose Cyndaquil, Lax? I like the idea of a tough lookin' guy bein' controlled by my rival, Lax? Plus he'll help me turn this place inside out with his quils of flames, Lax? Havin' a Totodile for a starter back in the day made me frustrated when takin' on the Sprout Tower.

Munch Bro Squintin': But boss! What 'bout the crew? You gun abandun your loyal boys, Squint?

Munch Bro Alert: Yeah!? Are you going to abandon the Lax Crew after the total of four hours we have been together, Hey?

The Snore: Oi! Aler... *snore* You! Stop soundin' lick a goody-three-shoes! The La... LAX! You gots to choose me, Snore?

Oh, put a sock in it you bunch a ingrateful Pocket Monsters! I'm goin' to choose Cyndaquil 'cause of his early evolvin' power and speed. He'll be useful to me sooner than the others, and I have a feelin' that he won't be takin' a spot for a Water-Type when I need it, Lax?

Munch Bro Squintin': Hey, you sure are smart boss, Squint?!

Munch Bro Alert: Yes, I do agree with that logic. Plus, that Cyndaquil may become a valuble member of this team, Hey!?

The Snore: *Snore*...*snore*... Huh? Yea... wha...ever, Snore?

MewtwoNods.gif

Yes, I made this terrible GIF, happy? But they can't wait until HG and SS comes out!

Anyways, let's get back on topic.

Let's assume the remake is very faithful in many ways... so if you didn't pick Chikorita, the alternative is Bellsprout. It gets worse here. Bellsprout is stuck with a measly 15 PP Vine Whip (it was 10 back then!!) until at level 7 she learns Growth... which does NOT benefit Vine Whip anymore... and level 11 where she learns... WRAP! At least Chikorita's better than that... but here's the catch. Bellsprout then learns Sleep Powder at level 13! And since Bellsprout's my favorite Grass Pokemon, I must have her! But if you're patient, she'll become a Weepinbell at level 21 and learn... *drumrolls* Acid at level 23. Okay... it's not that great, but still, better than nothing! Then we get the coveted Razor Leaf *dog drools* at level 39! Too much waiting here! But if you don't like Bellsprout, you can wait until Ilex Forest to get Oddish, who is more defensively oriented and a less screwed up movepool (but starts out with Absorb and Sweet Scent). But even then, Victreebel will do better competitively in the long run... but Vileplume/Bellossom is there for consideration. Pick your poison.

As for Water type alternatives, they might put those early Poliwags in the early routes at night time or so... but you'll be stuck with BUBBLE for a LONG time. BUT... there's that Hypnosis at level 8! Then comes Water Gun at level 11... this tadpole's here for consideration. If you're lucky, it comes with Water Absorb. There's Wooper after Violet City if you want a Water Absorbing electric-immune Water Pokemon. Either way, Water Pokemon are EVERYWHERE... but those are your early two.

As for Fire types... if the version exclusive rule stays the same, Gold gets Growlithe and Silver gets Vulpix... but that's much later in the game. Growlithe is an all-around amazing sweeper... while Vulpix plays more defensively. Personally I love the Firefox better, but most will prefer the tiger dog. Take your pick.

MewtwoNods.gif

Yes, I made this terrible GIF, happy? But they can't wait until HG and SS comes out!

Anyways, let's get back on topic.

Let's assume the remake is very faithful in many ways... so if you didn't pick Chikorita, the alternative is Bellsprout. It gets worse here. Bellsprout is stuck with a measly 15 PP Vine Whip (it was 10 back then!!) until at level 7 she learns Growth... which does NOT benefit Vine Whip anymore... and level 11 where she learns... WRAP! At least Chikorita's better than that... but here's the catch. Bellsprout then learns Sleep Powder at level 13! And since Bellsprout's my favorite Grass Pokemon, I must have her! But if you're patient, she'll become a Weepinbell at level 21 and learn... *drumrolls* Acid at level 23. Okay... it's not that great, but still, better than nothing! Then we get the coveted Razor Leaf *dog drools* at level 39! Too much waiting here! But if you don't like Bellsprout, you can wait until Ilex Forest to get Oddish, who is more defensively oriented and a less screwed up movepool (but starts out with Absorb and Sweet Scent). But even then, Victreebel will do better competitively in the long run... but Vileplume/Bellossom is there for consideration. Pick your poison.

As for Water type alternatives, they might put those early Poliwags in the early routes at night time or so... but you'll be stuck with BUBBLE for a LONG time. BUT... there's that Hypnosis at level 8! Then comes Water Gun at level 11... this tadpole's here for consideration. If you're lucky, it comes with Water Absorb. There's Wooper after Violet City if you want a Water Absorbing electric-immune Water Pokemon. Either way, Water Pokemon are EVERYWHERE... but those are your early two.

As for Fire types... if the version exclusive rule stays the same, Gold gets Growlithe and Silver gets Vulpix... but that's much later in the game. Growlithe is an all-around amazing sweeper... while Vulpix plays more defensively. Personally I love the Firefox better, but most will prefer the tiger dog. Take your pick.

Water type is a Complete no-brainer magikarp

I would always catch a Magikarp at the beginning of the game if I didn't choose the water starter.

Good luck training that thing though. I bought one for 500 Pokes at RBY :)

But then again, Gyarados becomes a better Feraligatr, so it will all pay off if you got him and a Cyndaquil. *shhh, don't tell the Totodile players this!*

if we could do this glitch again, then i would get all LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm_gP-zV11k

i might go with cyndaquil again, like i did in crystal

hmm you can already access the kanto pokedex in g/s/c (national dex), i wonder once you start the game you can trade straight to d/p/p

or they might add something like what did they did in fr/lg and do that island quest to trade to honen

Good luck training that thing though. I bought one for 500 Pokes at RBY :)[/s]

Oh, it was a pain, but I would normally have a Gyradoes by the second gym. (Yeah, I used to buy him in R/B) I'd just have him at the front of my party, and then switch over....kill the enemy Poke, switch back to Magikarp....switch back to another....

Oh, it was a pain, but I would normally have a Gyradoes by the second gym. (Yeah, I used to buy him in R/B) I'd just have him at the front of my party, and then switch over....kill the enemy Poke, switch back to Magikarp....switch back to another....

Same for me! :eek:

I also had Nidoqueen and Butterfree and Wartortle and Pidgeotto as I exited Mt. Moon :)

In the original GSC, Old Rod could catch stuff besides Magikarp. You think this remake will do the same? And Cyndaquil's getting very popular :eek:

No love for the energetic crocodile or the spunky plant? :(

I always have trouble choosing what starter. Then I stress over what pokemon to have to play through the game. But then how there are HMs to consider and I don't want to backtrack to the PC just to get out someone with an HM so I have to think on who I wanna keep who can also cover HM use.

[sprite]152[/sprite]

Chikorita - pick this plant if you're going the hard way. While she does get a plethora of supporting moves such as Reflect, Light Screen and Safeguard, her only offensive moves will be Tackle and Razor Leaf and Magical Leaf until she finally learns Body Slam at a really late level, which is BAD. The first two gyms are two types Chikorita has trouble again (lol @ a Gym Leader with a level 7 Pidgey and level 9 Pidgeotto), but if you really want a challenge and love plant Pokemon, pick Chikorita. Competitively, she works wonderfully as a Cleric and supporter, but other grass types do much better since they can actually cast status other than Toxic. She's really Bulbasaur without the Poison typing and the movepool and the Special Attack traded for Defense.

[sprite]155[/sprite]

[sprite]158[/sprite]

Quoting an earlier post of mine for people who have trouble choosing which starter they want :P