Pokemon Showdown! (Version 1 Released!)

Guested

• 2 weeks later...

um. suggestions:

1. How about editing the battle music? (ex: Inserting Gen3 music for gen 3 trainers, gen4 music for gen4 trainers)

2. and what about editing the badges to make it so each victory against a (previously unbeaten) trainer gives you a (really small) gem shaped thing with a LOT of badge slots on the trainer card page? (Sorta like gym leader badges)

People have been asking recently, so I'll just restate that nothing has changed.

This project is 99% done and that hasn't changed since the last time I posted.

All of the scripting is done, all of the overworld locations and trainers are done, all of the teams are inserted, all of the battles are working as they should...

The only thing that is missing is the battle sprites for the trainers from Emerald. I have the files, but no way to insert them as I am waiting for an update on PokeDSpic that could handle the different tiling arrangement of the trainer's sprites in HGSS.

I have no idea when that will happen, because that project seems to have been put to the side as everyone is enchanted by BW now.

So, even though I'm done working on this project, it is on hold indefinitely until an updated PokeDSpic is released.

...unless someone out there wants to use Kazo's tedious re-tiling method to re-do all 39 of the image files, cause that's seemingly the only way to insert custom trainer battle sprites into HGSS currently.

Why not just release the current version without the Emerald trainers? you could just add them later once you get a hold of the program. If it's a hassle to remove them, perhaps you could just have placeholders in the mean time. People on the forums could also help to test bugs in the current version while you are waiting.

I personally would be content just having the platinum trainers in the game. Unlike trainers from the past gen games, platinum trainers fit HGSS as their sprites are animated and the sprites look equal in quality.

• 1 month later...

Hey, awesome job! It's really fun.

One problem though:

Could just be my DSTT, but sometimes if I enter a building (eg. Pokecenter) it freezes at a black screen, but music from the area outside the building still plays.

I'm looking forward to the next release of this, it's really good so far!!

Cool. I tried out the game.... I wanted it for SoulSilver but I got a white screen on no$gba but Heartgold worked..... my only problem is when I enter any Battle Facility except for the Battle Tower, the screen turns black briefly, like when entering any building and then it shows me exiting the facility...o_0 Why is it doing that?=/

In the alpha/beta version that was released, nothing beyond the main area was finished, therefore you couldn't access any facilities. I thought I made it clear in the first post, but maybe not. Practically everything has been reorganized since that release and those areas noted in the first posts description are accessible in my in-progress version.

Both that released version and my in-progress version have been tested and work fine on a Cyclo DS flashcart, so I don't know about DSTT, but emulator use is still slightly buggy, especially with no$gba. Theoretically, any flashcart with firmware that runs HGSS fine should run this patched version well enough. It'll be tested further when it is released.

As it now seems that pokeDSpic will never be updated to work with HGSS, I am debating releasing an unfinished version in the next few weeks. As I've said, everything is complete (except for my future ambitions which no one knows how to modify yet), except the GBA and extra trainers do not have trainer battle sprites (their overworld sprites and teams function just fine, however).

Codr says he may be able to make a program to inject the trainer sprites, but he has his hands full with Pokegen at the moment, and may not be able to get to it for a while.

The other alternative is me releasing my sprite files (the not-yet-inserted ones are made, just not inserted) and the narc file to anyone willing to recut them and match up the palettes manually, using kazowar's method seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/KazoWAR#p/u/21/GaLJRCMsQpo

http://www.youtube.com/user/KazoWAR#p/u/20/tWnTx0ba6mg

http://www.youtube.com/user/KazoWAR#p/u/19/fOTAVfYw7rg

http://www.youtube.com/user/KazoWAR#p/u/18/67_fcZtboPY

Yes, it's a four part tutorial, but it is not edited, so there is some downtime.

• 2 weeks later...
hey dude

what happened to this project,when u are going to release it,it's 4 month already from the last update:confused:

It's one week from the last update.

I'll post it again, because it might be too difficult for you to read a post that was two whole posts earlier. Hope it's easier to see this time.

In the alpha/beta version that was released, nothing beyond the main area was finished, therefore you couldn't access any facilities. I thought I made it clear in the first post, but maybe not. Practically everything has been reorganized since that release and those areas noted in the first posts description are accessible in my in-progress version.

Both that released version and my in-progress version have been tested and work fine on a Cyclo DS flashcart, so I don't know about DSTT, but emulator use is still slightly buggy, especially with no$gba. Theoretically, any flashcart with firmware that runs HGSS fine should run this patched version well enough. It'll be tested further when it is released.

As it now seems that pokeDSpic will never be updated to work with HGSS, I am debating releasing an unfinished version in the next few weeks. As I've said, everything is complete (except for my future ambitions which no one knows how to modify yet), except the GBA and extra trainers do not have trainer battle sprites (their overworld sprites and teams function just fine, however).

Codr says he may be able to make a program to inject the trainer sprites, but he has his hands full with Pokegen at the moment, and may not be able to get to it for a while.

The other alternative is me releasing my sprite files (the not-yet-inserted ones are made, just not inserted) and the narc file to anyone willing to recut them and match up the palettes manually, using kazowar's method seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/KazoWAR#p/u/21/GaLJRCMsQpo

http://www.youtube.com/user/KazoWAR#p/u/20/tWnTx0ba6mg

http://www.youtube.com/user/KazoWAR#p/u/19/fOTAVfYw7rg

http://www.youtube.com/user/KazoWAR#p/u/18/67_fcZtboPY

Yes, it's a four part tutorial, but it is not edited, so there is some downtime.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Actually, since I've been mostly hacking SS (I like the Lugia storyline a bit better is all), I would love to have that version of the patch, but if you're too busy, I understand. It's just that I already have done all of my work on SS and I'd hate to have to redo everything.

Also, of course, a big THANK YOU for doing something this cool :)

I had completely forgot that you were going to use this in another project, but I'm not even sure if it's going to be possible.

In order to get in all the different trainers, I had to replace existing trainer classes and their battle sprites, overworld sprites, class name, and even a few of the trainers teams themselves. I'm not even sure this would work with an existing game or other modification, as a lot of trainers and characters would appear as the trainers I've added in.

You're welcome to try, I'll see about putting an SS version together.

In the meantime you could apply this patch to an HG game and take a look at what classes, sprites, etc are replaced and see if it intereferes with what you're using. But I'm gonna guess it won't work.

Well, maybe I could simply use a small portion of this project. Like, one or two trainers. Once I figure out how you did this that and the other thing, I should be able to replace some of the worthless trainer classes (rather painstakingly) and add in a few extra trainers. I dunno which ones, but Cynthia & Steven seem attractive options. Having a SS version would just be more convenient since I wouldn't have to do any work twice.

I never watched Kazo's tutorial until today. Seems very doable. I'll have to get Tile Molester, Kiwi.DS and his header removal program, since I've never bothered with any of those before. If I can get it to work nicely, maybe I could go to the trouble of applying the Kazo method to a few RSE sprites for you. Of course, you'd have to trust me with the files for me to be able to work with them. Maybe you could give me just one of them (I know which one I'd prefer, haha) to try out this method and see if it's something I'm able to pump out for you! :)