[Tutorial] How to extract the saves from R/B/Y virtual console (using homebrew)

Pikm

As many of you know, up until recently it was impossible to extract the saves from newer eshop games with out softmodding your 3DS to run unsigned .cia files. Now, thanks to a recent update to the homebrew launcher, and the efforts of ihaveamac and other contributors, it is now possible to extract and restore saves using only homebrew (and of course a computer).

What you'll need;

Instructions:

Put your SD card into your computer and drag the svdt.3dsx, svdt.smdh, svdt.xml, and asr.dat files into a folder called "svdt". Then, place the newly created folder into the '3ds' directory (where all your homebrews go) of your SD card. If you already have svdt, then you can skip that step. Then, open the zip file for the linked boot.3dsx and extract the contents into the folder where you place your homebrews (usually '3ds'). You can rename the boot.3dsx to something you'll remember if you want to. This boot.3dsx does not need to replace the one that you normally use to launch homebrew, as it is not an official release (it's just compatible with what we're about to do.). After you're done that, it's time to download an .xml file to bypass the 9.6+ crypto. Visit this page; https://github.com/ihaveamac/9.6-dbgen-xmls Open the 'mmap' folder, and find the .xml file that matches your game. Here are some links;

Click 'raw', and then it will bring you to a new page with only the code. Right click on the code, and then click 'save as'. It will now open a menu to save it as; [insert title ID].xml Save the file to your desktop, or if you want to plan ahead, before you download the .xml, create a folder on the root of your SD card called 'mmap', and save the .xml file to that folder (still do this even if you have the .xml downloaded to your desktop). Now, eject the SD card and put it in your 3DS. Boot the Homebrew Launcher, and then find the boot.3dsx that you already moved to the '3ds' directory. Open the boot.3dsx, and it will take you to an alternate Homebrew Menu that has the capability to run the .xml file in your 'mmap' folder. Launch svdt, and find the virtual console game you downloaded the .xml file for. Press A, and it should load svdt on the game. If you are stuck on a red screen, you did something wrong. If svdt boots, then you should have a message on the touch screen that says something along the lines of; "standard dump to SD was invoked". This means that svdt already backed up your save into a folder in the "svdt" directory on the ROOT of your SD card. You can now take that file, edit it, and restore it as you wish.:creep:

Edited by Pikm

• 2 weeks later...
i can't extract my save, i found the ID for my Pokemon Rojo (Spanish Version) but screen frozen (not appear red screen)

Hi. If you have the game in Spanish you must find the xml game in Spanish, in this case the Red Pokemon (of the linked xml web) and generate the xml. Don't use the Xml in English in Spanish because cause errors. The xml in Spanish this only xml red and yellow.

Greetings.

Hola. Si tienes el juego en español debes buscar el xml del juego en español, en este caso del Pokemon Rojo (de la web enlazada de los xml ) y generar el xml. No sirve usar el xml del mismo juego en ingles en español ya que genera errores. Los xml en español están el rojo y el amarillo. Saludos.

Hi. If you have the game in Spanish you must find the xml game in Spanish, in this case the Red Pokemon (of the linked xml web) and generate the xml. Don't use the Xml in English in Spanish because cause errors. The xml in Spanish this only xml red and yellow.

Greetings.

Hola. Si tienes el juego en español debes buscar el xml del juego en español, en este caso del Pokemon Rojo (de la web enlazada de los xml ) y generar el xml. No sirve usar el xml del mismo juego en ingles en español ya que genera errores. Los xml en español están el rojo y el amarillo. Saludos.

lo se, tengo el xml de Pokemon Red Spanish, entro al homebrew desde el Oothax, ejecuto boot.3dsx, inicio el svdt, selecciono pokemon Rojo y se congela la pantalla, tambien tengo el Blue (Ingles) baje su respectivo xml y tambien se congela

Does this only work with *hax 2.7 payload und should I use your boot.3dsx or the new_boot.3dsx on github?

At the moment I use 2.6 payload and it doesn´t work.

Edit: I updated to 2.7 an now everything works fine.

Edited by Dede

lo se, tengo el xml de Pokemon Red Spanish, entro al homebrew desde el Oothax, ejecuto boot.3dsx, inicio el svdt, selecciono pokemon Rojo y se congela la pantalla, tambien tengo el Blue (Ingles) baje su respectivo xml y tambien se congela

Update the Homebrew to version 2.7. With the earlier versions will not work. Check my installation with the Homebrew 2.7 and everything else and it works smoothly. Check that. Greetings.

Actualizaste el Homebrew a la versión 2.7. Ya que con la anteriores no funciona. Revise mi instalación con el Homebrew 2.7 y todo lo demás y me funciona sin problemas. Revisa eso. Saludos.

Hi

I'd appreciate some help as I'm new to this.

I have OOT3Dhax installed and running fine with only the current files on the Sd card:

-boot.3dsx from homebrew startter kit in root directory of Sd card

-no payload file in root of sd card as not required for OOT3Dhax according to install tutorial

-XML for red english version from OP in mmap folder in SD card root directory called red.xml

-SVDT and boot.3dsx linked form OP in my 3ds folder renaimed redboot.3dsx

-OOT3Dhax installer files in 3ds folder

I follow all the steps from OP and get to the red screen but cant pick what I may have done wrong except that when the homebrew launcher loads from OOT3D it says *hax 2.6.

Other users have commented that upgrading to *hax 2.7 resolved their issues, how do I update OOT3Dhax to 2.7? Is there anything else I may be doing wrong?

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Solved.

For anyone with the same issue.

-Download the newest payload from: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/ using the 'download otherapp' button

-rename the download file payload.bin and put on the SD card

-Boot homebrew and use SVDT to access OOT3d save

-delete the payload.bin file from the OOT3d save (payload for 2.6) and copy the payload from the SD card onto OOT3d (payload for 2.7)

-next time you run homebrew it will be 2.7 and tutorial above will work.

See instructions form this thread -> https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-update-oot3dhax-10-2-10-3.403025/

Edited by enthalpy

Hi all, i'm having no luck with this, still getting the red screen when trying to load yellow svdt.

I've followed enthalpys advice and updated my payload from 2.6 to 2.7, and from what i can tell when i launch homebrew it's working fine (shows 2.7 up the top).

3ds folder contains the boot.3dsx file op linked, renamed to "yellowboot.3dsx".

Created a file named "mmap" on sd root containing the pokemon yellow english linked xml file, renamed "yellow.xml".

When I launch homebrew it states it's version 1.1.0, after I launch yellowboot it changes to 1.1.1. However no matter how many times I try when I launch svdt and click on pokemon yellow I always get the red screen crash.

Any help would greatly be appreciated :)

Edit: Fixed. It seems renaming the xml file "yellow" rather than just keeping it as the id number caused it to not load.

Edited by Bowerzzz

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question, is it possible with this method to inject a savegame from a real gameboy cartridge?

If so, would I need the excact same language on the 3DS VC? (so in my case, I have a french cardridge, do I need the french copy on VC or can I use the english one?)

Atm I do not have something to get a gameboy save to my PC, but I will get one if this is possible.

Does anybody know if it's possible to get a savegame to a pc with that gameboy adapter thingie that came along pokemon stadium?

Thanks in advance :)

I have a question, is it possible with this method to inject a savegame from a real gameboy cartridge?

If so, would I need the excact same language on the 3DS VC? (so in my case, I have a french cardridge, do I need the french copy on VC or can I use the english one?)

Atm I do not have something to get a gameboy save to my PC, but I will get one if this is possible.

Does anybody know if it's possible to get a savegame to a pc with that gameboy adapter thingie that came along pokemon stadium?

Thanks in advance :)

If you were able to extract your save from the 3ds,

And you are able to extract your save from your cart (if the cart even still has battery to keep the save),

Then yeah, you would be able to inject the cart save in

• 2 weeks later...

What location does svdt look for the sav files in?

I want to extract the save file from my non-homebrew up-to-date 3ds - I copied it into the equivalent location in the homebrew 3ds's SD card, but svdt is not detecting it...

• 2 weeks later...
I've followed every step but I get stuck on the red screen. I have a New 3DS and I'm trying to use this with Pokemon Blue. I'm using OOTHax on 10-7 U.

Red screen means either:

- mmap folder with the xmls not present at root of SD card

- running the wrong payloads (you MUST use 2.7)

- not using the right boot.3dsx (homebrew launcher v1.1.1)

You haven't specified if you have the English, French or Spanish version of Pokémon Blue. The title ID would likely be different for the French or Spanish version, and the one linked in the first post is for the US version. Best to just get the whole mmap folder, it's not that big anyway.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone :)

I have a big problem. I've got svdt and it worked for my games but not for the VC-Version of Pokemon yellow (german)

I have svdt folder, ninjhax *2.7 robpin, hbl 1.1.1and a folder called mmap in F:/3ds/ with the .xml file i found (pokemon yellow german)

But still i get stuck on a red screen so what am i doing wrong?

Maybe someone can help me or sending pictures of the location of the folders (mmap e.g.)

BTW my FW is 1.0.0-33E with PSMDchunkhax

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
7 hours ago, BlueBraviary said:

So how do I restore the save after editing it? I tried using JKSM and it wont' overwrite the save. This is Crystal, but it's the same isn't it?

using JKSM to import save should have been able to pull the save back in.
are you getting an error, or simply nothing changed?