PPRE: Project Pokemon's ROM Editor

I named my ROM "SoulSilver.nds", checked that ndstool.exe was in the folder (which it was), clicked "Write ROM" and left it for an hour, but it still hadn't written a new ROM. Nothing happened at all. Is it possible that I have this problem because I use Vista? Or can you think of anything else that might be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't think so, I have Windows 7 and I'm facing the exact same problem as you. What stuff did you edit?

I edited a few maps and changed which wild Pokemon appear on them. I also edited about 10 trainers.

That's funny, I haven't touched the maps or the trainers. I changed individual Pokemon learnsets and evolutions.

For me, write ROM works sporadically. Sometimes it writes, sometimes it doesn't... I'm guessing it never works on your side?

It will only write the new rom the first time you set the rom with ppre. If you make a bunch of changes but do not write a new rom before closing ppre, or if you name the new rom the same thing as the old one, the only thing you can do to continue to edit that file is to delete your tpm folder. Of course, if you made changes without writing, they will be lost, so... just remember to "save" your work each time by writing a new file once all your work for that session is complete.

Basically, if you don't see the window come up for ndstool, then it's not writing. It should only take 1 or 2 minutes to finish. The ndstool window will close on it's own when the operation is complete.

Also, I have not tried writing the rom multiple times without closing ppre, but if you are doing this and if you suspect that causes it to not write properly on subsequent presses, then simply only "save" once, close ppre, and then do what you have to do to set the rom and work on it later. PPRE remember all the changes you made (that it is able to write), so you can go edit trainers, close that window, and then go edit pokemon, close that window, and hit "write," and all of them will be applied at once.

It will only write the new rom the first time you set the rom with ppre. If you make a bunch of changes but do not write a new rom before closing ppre, or if you name the new rom the same thing as the old one, the only thing you can do to continue to edit that file is to delete your tpm folder. Of course, if you made changes without writing, they will be lost, so... just remember to "save" your work each time by writing a new file once all your work for that session is complete.

Yeah, I reached a similar conclusion. I guess deep inside I was hoping I wouldn't have to take up more hard drive space.

That's funny, I haven't touched the maps or the trainers. I changed individual Pokemon learnsets and evolutions.

For me, write ROM works sporadically. Sometimes it writes, sometimes it doesn't... I'm guessing it never works on your side?

Nope, it never works.

I've now tried to write a ROM on 3 different computers - one with Windows XP, one with Windows Vista and one with Windows 7. I've also tried lots of different compatibility modes. Nothing worked.

I guess I'll just have to start over and create a new ROM each time I save (and delete the tmp folder afterwards). I suppose it's not that bad. :P

@ therippeddeck and TheClaw

I made a post a few pages back on what to do so that your changes are kept. The summary is that you have to create a new rom every time you use PPRE, then delete the temp folder. Like aninymouse, I haven't checked to see if they've fixed it since like version 10, but I know this works for me, and I never lose a thing. So take a look at what I posted; it's written as clear steps, so I hope it'll help you out. Let me know if you still have issues.

I probably should explain the way that PPRE saves and loads...

First, PPRE looks for a tmp_ folder, with the name of the ROM specified. If it exists, it uses it; doesn't even unpack a ROM.

If it doesn't exist, it unpacks the ROM with the name given.

When you click write, it deletes the ROM with the name specified, and makes a new one.

So, when using PPRE, you can keep your tmp_ folders, and you don't even have to save each time. I only save after I've made a significant number of changes and wish to try out my game.

I probably should explain the way that PPRE saves and loads...

First, PPRE looks for a tmp_ folder, with the name of the ROM specified. If it exists, it uses it; doesn't even unpack a ROM.

If it doesn't exist, it unpacks the ROM with the name given.

When you click write, it deletes the ROM with the name specified, and makes a new one.

So, when using PPRE, you can keep your tmp_ folders, and you don't even have to save each time. I only save after I've made a significant number of changes and wish to try out my game.

The issue we have is a tmp_ folder can only be used once to write a rom. Once that particular tmp_ folder is used, it seems it cannot ever write again. This is only a problem because sometimes I write the rom under the same name as the tmp_ folder. When I come back to edit that rom, it uses the tmp_ folder, which is in essence "broken" from ever writing again. The fix I discovered is to delete the tmp_ folder and reset the rom, creating a fresh new tmp_ folder that isn't broken.

The issue we have is a tmp_ folder can only be used once to write a rom. Once that particular tmp_ folder is used, it seems it cannot ever write again. This is only a problem because sometimes I write the rom under the same name as the tmp_ folder. When I come back to edit that rom, it uses the tmp_ folder, which is in essence "broken" from ever writing again. The fix I discovered is to delete the tmp_ folder and reset the rom, creating a fresh new tmp_ folder that isn't broken.

Instead, try writing ROMs with different names each time like "sshack1.nds", "sshack2.nds", etc. And also, only exit the program when the ROM write is complete (that can take up to 5 min.). It is usually complete when the ROM size stays the same (around 120+ mb in Pt and HGSS).

Alpha, sorry for being a nuisance, but are you planning to fix the problem with the trainers name in a future release PPRE?

It will take a while. It is a known problem with a solution hard to execute.

I recently became interested in editing GBA roms. Most programs out there make it difficult. would you guys consider adding GBA game compatability? also, will you add a sprite editor to the pokemon edit screen?

GBA support is not at all planned. We are trying to move forward into DS hacking. As for sprites, not any time soon.

I was attempting to edit some maps and every time I pressed the save changes button my changes were not saved. I recieved the following error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "ppre.pyw", line 2110, in updateMap

UnboundLocalError: local variable 'e' referenced before assignment

What am I doing wrong?

(I was attempting to change script in Sandgem Town to give player National Dex at the opening of the game)

Instead, try writing ROMs with different names each time like "sshack1.nds", "sshack2.nds", etc. And also, only exit the program when the ROM write is complete (that can take up to 5 min.). It is usually complete when the ROM size stays the same (around 120+ mb in Pt and HGSS).

This is also a good solution, I find it similar to archiving old changes just in case the first one fails.

I have recieved the same message several times now on different maps, including Oreburgh City and Oreburgh Gate.

Also, I wrote a new script in Oreburgh, and then when I went through Oreburgh Gate, my rom crashed when I crossed the trainers line of sight. Any idea what's causing this and can it be fixed?

EDIT: I also get the same message with Jubilife, several maps also show Jubilife's text instead of their own. Have tested with a clean ROM and the problem still remains. But apart from a few bugs this is the BEST PROGRAM EVER!

Edited by Enigma_Berry

Hi! I keep getting this nasty No$GBA 2.6 error: "undefined opcode - with no debug vector defined", whenever I use PPRE on my HG rom - even when I do minor changes, like changing Pokemon appearing on a given route. Is there any way to omit this error? I tired to run the game directly (without bios) but then white screen appears.

Something I've come to notice. In HG I edited the levels of the wild pokemon in the Burnt Tower, changed Magmar to Magby, and changed the trainers' levels. When I went to the second floor, the Eusine and Beasts event wouldn't trigger. I reverted to a previous edit I made, which didn't include the Burnt Tower, it played out how it should. This also happened again on route 42(whatever route has Suciune outside Mr. Mortar) and when I cut the bush to approach Suicune, it would play its cry, then my pokemon would freeze but I was free to move around, but Suicune would not flee. I once again only edited the wild pokemon levels, and trainer levels. I found it odd, since I never touched any thing with the script or events on these two locations. Any ideas?

When I try and 'Set Rom' a automatic message pops-up saying There is no rom located in 'tmp_' and when I put it in tmp_ it does the same, and when I have the rom in the same file AS ppre programme and have deleted the tmp_ file, it dosen't work, can somebody help me with this please? (If anyone had this problem) Thanks!