Guide: How to generate Gen V Pokémon in PokéGen

Acanto

I am having a really hard time trying to do this

can some help me break it down.

"In Generation V, the PID is related only to Gender, Shininess and Ability. There’s no correlation to IV and Nature. PokéGen currently doesn’t support any of the Gen V PID generation methods.

The PID hexadecimal format is:

AAAXAAYY

X – Determines Ability

YY – Determines Gender

Matching PID with Ability

For Dream World Abilities, see f) Ability.

Take your Pokémon’s PID. It should be a string of ten numbers.

Open the Decimal/Hexadecimal/Binary Converter.

Paste the PID in the ‘Decimal’ box; Copy/Paste in a text editor the string that has appeared in the ‘Hexadecimal’ box.

aaaXaayy

You should have obtained a string of eight characters, matching the format described above. Now, copy only the fourth character in your string (the X in the format, which determines Ability), and paste it in the ‘Hexadecimal’ box.

We’re converting it in binary code, so you’ll need the string that has appeared in the ‘Binary’ box. Copy/Paste it in a text editor.

Now, whatever sequence of 0 and 1 you’ve obtained, you need just the very last number of the sequence.

0 -> Your Pokémon’s Ability is Ability 1

1 -> Your Pokémon’s Ability is Ability 2

To know which Ability is Ability 1, and which is Ability 2, open your Pokémon’s corresponding Pokédex Page.

The first ability listed is Ability 1, the second Ability listed is Ability 2.

Now, in PokéGen, in the ‘Main’ Tab, check the Ability value.

If the Ability listed there matches the one set in the PID ( i.e. PID Ability 1 [Water Absorb] = Ability 1 [Water Absorb]), the PID is correct, and you don’t need to edit anything.

If the Ability listed there doesn’t match the one set in the PID (i.e. PID Ability 1 [Water Absorb] =/= Ability 2 [Cursed Body]), the PID is incorrect, and you need to change the PID.

Here’s what you need to do.

a) Take the binary sequence you’ve obtained earlier and pasted in the text editor;

b – 1) If you need to give your Pokémon the Ability 1, change the very last number of the sequence to 0;

b – 2) if you need to give your Pokémon the Ability 2, change the very last number of the sequence to 1;

c) Copy the full new binary sequence, paste it in the ‘Binary’ box of the Decimal/Hexadecimal/Binary Converter;

d) Copy the single character that has appeared in the ‘Hexadecimal’ box;

e) Take the 8-characters hexadecimal sequence you’ve obtained earlier, by converting the PID;

f) Replace the fourth character of the hexadecimal string (aaaXaayy) with the one you’ve copied at d) (Select the character -> Paste)

g) Copy the full new hexadecimal sequence, paste it in the ‘Hexadecimal’ box of the Decimal/Hexadecimal/Binary Converter;

h) Copy the full 10-numbers sequence that has appeared in the ‘Decimal’ box;

i) Paste it in the ‘PID’ box in the ‘Main’ Tab of PokéGen.

PID and Ability are now matching."

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

n00b:

thanks for noticing, I'll add Event-only Berries to the banned item list in the guide.

DeltaRay:

It doesn't matter which ability is specified in the PID, it'll just be overwritten by the DW Ability, if the 0x42 value is set to 01.

‘Egg/Pal Park/Event/Honey Tree/Shaymin’ is the standard Encounter type for every Gen V Pokémon, even starters.

H4nky:

You can't edit a Pokémon's base stats. PokéGen calculates everything correctly, it's just that Victini cannot have really impressive stats.

Tsujin:

Manually editing a PID to make a Pokémon Shiny is a bit tricky. I'll add it to the guide now.

blutrane:

They're generated the same way as male/female Pokémon. The game just doesn't read the value specified in the YY part of the PID structure, but sets them as Genderless.

For example, my Kyurem, who is Genderless, has a PID of 5131E678. 78, converted in decimal, is 120, but this value isn't read by the game.

n00b:

blutrane:

They're generated the same way as male/female Pokémon. The game just doesn't read the value specified in the YY part of the PID structure, but sets them as Genderless.

For example, my Kyurem, who is Genderless, has a PID of 5131E678. 78, converted in decimal, is 120, but this value isn't read by the game.

In other words I could input any value and it would be valid?

How do you get a PID to start the first part of the guide?

What I'm doing to basically run myself through this is I just uploaded my save of Black and I chose a random pokemon from my box to edit.

But how would I go about totally making a pokemon from scratch? Would I always just have to actually own said pokemon first so I can get his ID then I just 'edit' him in a sense?

EDIT:

I just ran into something weird while editing my Volcarona. I get a 111 in binary from my 4th character in Hex which I guess would be Swarm? But his ability ingame is Flamebody. The second Ability he has is Swarm but it's a dreamworld ability. So is the Hex correct in giving him a 111 even though by your guide any string ending in 1 should be the second ability?

Edited by H4nky
Just wanted to not clutter with multiple posts

Greetings :)

Decent time reader, first time poster ^^

First off, great work over all, love it :)

Hoping you can help me out with an minor error though.

I have come across a problem with characteristics in the PID Finder / Stats part. The Characteristics in pokegen do not match up with the characteristics in the game.

For example,

my Snivy:

PID No: 2949302540

Nature: Modest

HA: Psychic (43)

Ability: Contray

IV's :-

HP :22

Att :8

Def:23

SA :31

SD :29

SP :24

Characteristic : Highly Curious

However, in the game it comes up as Mischievous, and does not change even though the IV's match :(

Edit #1: I have tried leveling and evolving them however it did not work. There may be an off chance that the characteristics in Pokégen may be wrong or at least still show the Gen 4 versions (apparently they were changed in gen 5, though not 100% sure).

Edit #2: Ok, after a bit more research (had to catch some more pokémon :P ) I can safely say that the characteristics in Pokégen are mislabled.

Comparing an unaltered Purrlion, in game it has Sturdy Body, however in Pokégen, it reads that it is Quick Tempered. So..

New question is, under the PID setting when searching for the Pokémon (the little f next to the PID box) what should the Method be set to for Pokémon Black and White as the unaltered Purrlion does not come up under any of them? :P

Edit: I have tried leveling and evolving them however it did not work. There may be an off chance that the characteristics in Pokégen may be wrong or at least still show the Gen 4 versions (apparently they were changed in gen 5, though not 100% sure).

The PID values and such were in fact changed from Gen IV to V. Whether the issue is inherently from Codr's PokeGen is up for debate, as it IS still a beta and still has bugs, example: when I generate the code for the AR using pokegen and hit "start" on the AR all I get is a blank white screen-something that NEEDS to be addressed asap. So yes, the likely senario here is that we just do not know enough about the BW PIDs to match up the characteristics in-game. I do not believe that would affect wifi-leaglity however your Contrary Snivy would.

H4nky:

What I've written in the guide works with Pokémon that can have two Abilities -- Pokémon with only one Ability will display only that one. DW Abilities are only set through the 0x42 value, not by PID.

To create a Pokémon from scratch, you need to create a PID from scratch. Create it in hexadecimal format, and convert it to decimal only when you've finished. The PID's hexadecimal structure is AAAXAAYY: A can be a random number (unless you want to create a Shiny Pokémon), X is related to Ability and follows the Ability rules, Y is related to Gender and follows the Gender rules. Once you know your Pokémon's Ability number (1 or 2) and the breakpoint value for Gender, you can easily set up a new PID.

But this is the longest way, and it's impractical. Just breed a new Pokémon, and start from there.

I've added to the guide a new part, explaining how to manually edit the PID to make your Pokémon Shiny, as requested by Tsujin. I hope it'll be helpful.

During my generating I put the value here and I got letters.. Isn't this value part of the Hexadecimal?

I ment I got letters for the 7th and 8th characters, I still put them in decimal even though decimal are only numerical or should I put them in the Hexadecimal?

I'm not entirely serious about this, but could you perhaps make a youtube video about the shiny editing? That was all really confusing to read, but I'm sure once I sit down and start doing it I'll understand it better. Awesome info btw, if only I could get my AR to update I could actually use the pokemon I created with your info. =)

I'm assuming i did something wrong down the line... But i attempted to edit the PID for one of my eggs to make it Shiny. Now after a goo 35 minutes of getting it down pat. I manage to get my Number to 4 (From 43165 :P) But once i traded it back to my Retail copy (SID ID are correct i got them from this egg) It hatched as a plain Blue Sawk.

Did trading it effect it's shine? Did i miss calculate along the way? Thanks for any feed back. Take care

Ok so here's a question: I created Wifi-legal pokemon using pokegen, and they're working fine on wifi. But when I try to upload the battle video of my victories it says there's something wrong with the pokemon on the video. Any ideas? It doesn't make sense that they'd work in the battles (Random Wifi matches) and not be able to be uploaded.

since nature doesnt affect PID, i can just capture the pokemon with my intended gender and ablity and then edit it with pokegen or pokesav?

i just want some confirmation.

edit:

i just dump my savefile form gamecart and pokegen crush when i try to open it. however the pokesav i found on gbatemp is able to open it without trouble.

hopefully pokegen will get update soon to address this problem becasue i heard pokegen is better then pokesav.

Edited by calvin_0

I've updated the guide to reflect the new features of PokéGen 3.0 Beta 19.

I've left all the paragraphs about hex editing, for the sake of completeness and for anyone interested in more in-depth knowledge about Pokémon editing, but for legality purposes, they're no longer needed.

Krumweede and Susej:

PokéGen 3.0 Beta 19 made things a lot easier. Forget about hex-editing. Just leave the PID field blank (if you're generating a Pokémon from scratch), or delete the pre-existing PID (if you're editing an existing Pokémon, and you want to change its Ability, or make it Shiny); set the Ability and Gender you want, and check the 'Shiny' flag if you want to make the Pokémon Shiny. When saving the *.sav file, or exporting a *.pkm file, PokéGen will automatically fill the PID field with a PID matching the desired Ability, Gender, and Shininess, under Gen V rules (you'll find this same tutorial in the guide now).

calvin_0:

Yes. You can even generate a Pokémon from scratch, set your intended Gender, Ability, Shininess and Nature, and let the software worry about the PID.

(Edit: the issue with save files has been fixed, but you know that already xD)

It's still not working for me. When I generate a pokemon, the descriptions of it don't match up. On PokeGen it says "Proud of it's power" but when I generate it into the game it always says something different like "Mischieveious" or "Likes to thrash about".

It's still not working for me. When I generate a pokemon, the descriptions of it don't match up. On PokeGen it says "Proud of it's power" but when I generate it into the game it always says something different like "Mischieveious" or "Likes to thrash about".

This was verified earlier. I'll fix it later, but I'm not sure if I'm going to put out another release just for that.

Krumweede and Susej:

PokéGen 3.0 Beta 19 made things a lot easier. Forget about hex-editing. Just leave the PID field blank (if you're generating a Pokémon from scratch), or delete the pre-existing PID (if you're editing an existing Pokémon, and you want to change its Ability, or make it Shiny); set the Ability and Gender you want, and check the 'Shiny' flag if you want to make the Pokémon Shiny. When saving the *.sav file, or exporting a *.pkm file, PokéGen will automatically fill the PID field with a PID matching the desired Ability, Gender, and Shininess, under Gen V rules (you'll find this same tutorial in the guide now).

Pokegen 3b17 is what im using. Ill upgrade. Thanks =)

EDIT: After loading up the saved file in Pokegen, trying to save the changed PID it wasn't sticking. so i Copy Pasted the PID i generated in Pokegen and edited it in pokesav. It stuck then traded my egg over and it worked out perfectly.

Edited by Susej
Failed Egg

I haven't seen any mention of the Egg checkbox in the main tab. If I wanted the pokemon to be made as an egg, I would want to check this box correct? Then when I apply the code, the egg will show up and then need to be hatched? From there, would any data you input in the OT/MISC and Met tabs be overwritten when the egg hatches?

I remember in Pokesav, if you were to hack an egg, it would hatch into a level 1 version of whatever pokemon was inside with your OT info and whatever location you hatched it in. Also, how many steps would it take to hatch?