PPRE: Project Pokemon's ROM Editor

Hi all, this thread will be to discuss the development of PPRE.

PPRE is currently being developed by Alpha and SCV.

Special Thanks: Special thanks go to loadingNOW, pichu2001.loadingNOW's thepoketext system is an integral part of PPRE and provided me the address to the game's script handler when I was getting started with studying scripts. pichu2001 has helped tremendously in trying to figure out script commands.

History:

PPRE started out as a program with a whole new concept. The first versions of PPRE were based on the code for Nitro Explorer 2, written by Treeki. This allowed for reading DPP roms using the NDS file system. One thing that I did not like was that I was using C# to code PPRE and had used C# to code PPTE (Project Pokemon's Trainer Editor). While C# is a great language. I wanted to try to support all of Linux, Mac and Windows.

Also an integral part of PPRE will be loadingNOW's thenewpoketext system. thenewpoketext is written in python. Rather than learning python to translate thenewpoketext, I decided I would learn python and use PyQt to code PPRE. New versions of PPRE will work like thenewpoketext in terms of reading the rom data. That is, it will use ndstool to unpack and rebuild the rom. For Linux usage depends on wine. I have not tested on Mac but it should work the same way.

Official Versions supported:

Diamond (USA)

Pearl (USA)

Platinum (USA)

However, many of the features will work for other versions and if something doesn't and there is enough demand I will add support for it.

Latest Release:

Windows:

PPRE beta 0.14 (includes loadingNOW's thenewpoketext with platinum support and xdelta patching tool.)

(go to: http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showpost.php?p=33961&postcount=112 for more information.)

Mac/Linux:

PPRE beta 0.06 Need Python 2.6, Qt4 AND PyQt for python 2.6

thenewpoketext (updated with platinum support)

Planned Features:

Pokemon Editing:

• Main Pokemon Data
  • TMs/HMs able to learn
  • Level Up Attacks

Map Editing:

• Script Editor
  • Event Editor
  • Text Editor
  • Encounter Editor
  • Trainer Editor for the specific map

Trainer Editor:

• General Trainer Editor

This list is very imcomplete, but the general goal is to be able to edit as much as possible.

I added some pictures of some of what I currently have.

Main Window

ppremain.png

Main Poke Edit

pprepokemain.png

Moveset Editor

pprepokemoves.png

Evolution Editor

ppreevos.png

Move Editor

ppremoves.png

Script Editor

pprescripts.png

Edited by Alpha
  • Thanks 1

Will there be a music editor?

Eventually, but its not a priority.

If someone does the research necessary then I can add it based on that research. But if I will be doing the research, then don't expect it for quite a while.

That would be hard to do because the D/P/Pt maps are 3 Dimensional

And all other map editors are 2 Dimensional

Therefore, it would be a leap from designing 2-D map editors to 3-D map editors.

Yes, it will be hard but its not impossible. The problem is I don't think mapping is a priority. I'd rather get scripting done first.

Hey SCV,

just dropping in to say thanks for PPRE (and all the other good stuff you have provided).

Ive been wondering if there are any lists around for OverWorldID, Movement etc. ? I've collected some Warp-IDs already but would stop here if it already has been done. Here goes (this is for Platinum US):

Note: Set Target Warp ID to zero for best results.
"-" means "Mystery Zone", an area with basically nothing there and mostly no way to activate the menu or to move (looking works, this is no crashing)

A = -
B = Jubilife TV Center first floor
B8 = The room just before meeting Cynthia
BA = Champion Hall (event will be immediately triggered)
C = Jubilife TV Center second floor
D7 = Mt. Coronet just before Spear Pillar
D8 = Mt. coronet somewhere deeper inside
F = Poketch Company
F9 = Victory Road somewhere
FB = Safari Park first area 
FD = Amity Square
FE = Ravaged Path first room
FF = Crashes
1 = Pkmn League (Pkmn center?)
1A = room didn't make it into final game? extended floor of some house, two people talking about WFC. Walking downstairs gets you stuck.
1A1 = Bottom Left House Twinleaf Town
1A2 = Sandgem Town
1A3 = PokeMart Sandgem Town
1A4 = PokeCenter Sandgem 
1B = another hidden room above 1A?? "Youre managed to come up here?" says a lady there. How else?
1C = Wifi Entry room.
1C2 = Survival Area
1D = Trainer's school
1E = house in jubilife city
1F = Crash
2 = Crash
2B = "Mysterious" Harbor Inn in Canalave City
3 = Jubilife City
4 = Jubilife Center PokeMart
5 = Crash
6 = jubilife city pokemon center
7 = jubilife pokecenter upper floor
7D = Pastoria Great Marsh
7E = Pastoria Great Marsh second floor
8 = Poketch Center first floor
9 = poketch center second floor 
9F = Sunyshore City small building with lots of people
10C = Turnback cave first room
10D = Turnback cave room with big thing in the middle
10E = Turnback Cave room with Giratina
10F = Turnback Cave...
11B = Regigigas Room in Snowpoint Temple (Need three regi-pokemon to battle)
11C = Weyward Cave first room
11D = Weyward Cave (some big room)
11E = Ruin Maniac Cave
11F = Trophy Garden
13D = Lake Acuity w/o Rival
13E = Lake Acuity w/ Rival
13F = Acuity Lake Cavern
15B = Route 205
16E = Route 211
16F = Route 212
19A = -
19B = Twinleaf Town
19C = Rivals First Floor
19D = Rivals Second Floor
19E = Heros First Floor
19F = Heros Second Floor
20A = Turnback cave room with little stone in middle
20B = turnback cave room...
22 = PokeMart Canalave
22E = Pokemon Contest Hall
22F = Outside of Battle Frontier
23 = Steel Gym
23B = Hidden Rotom Room! WARNING! Without the activated event, returning will get you stuck => have to edit warp there.
24 = PokeCenter in Canalave
27A = Jubilife City again
28 = third floor in library / Canalave
29/2A = Houses in Canalave City
41 = Eterna City 
49 = galactic eterna building second floor
50 = Eterna / Cycling Road Checkpoint
85 = Fight Gym
102 = Oreburg Gate Cave first room
108 = stark mountain before showdown
109 = With Charon against Team galactic in stark mountain at the end
110 = Turnback Cave...
111 = Turnback Cave...
112/114/115/FC = Nowhere / says Pkmn League (Pkmn Center music)
116 = Snowpoint Temple first room
120 = Iron Island
130 = black screen (music crashes) / weird crash
137 = Lake Verity (before team galactic)
138 = Lake Verity (after team galactic)
139 = Verity Cavern
140/141 = Newmoon Island (encounter area; but event needs to be triggered for it to appear)
142 = Battle Park
143 = Battle Park (inside)
144/145 = darkness/mystery zone with bicycle possibility
148 = mystery zone, but moveable character.
150 = Valor Lakefront
170 = Pokemon Mansion (not trophy garden)
171/172 = Pokemon Mansion Rooms 
173 = Route 212
193 = Route 227
212 = turnback cave...
230 = Battle Frontier
239 = Team Galactic somewhere (huge mass gathering)

Also, please add the note in the next versions that the eventlocations and scriptlocations list are for D/P, but not (well, mostly) for Platinum. This tricked me into confusion at first.

For example, script number 978 (twinleaf town) is 1052 in Platinum. This is determinable by comparison.

(edit) One more thing: Trying to add individual scripts in Twinleaf Town crashes the application :( Anything you could do about this? Also, please let hex code there be copy-paste-able. It would save a lot of work.

Edited by JePP

Hey SCV,

just dropping in to say thanks for PPRE (and all the other good stuff you have provided).

Ive been wondering if there are any lists around for OverWorldID, Movement etc. ? I've collected some Warp-IDs already but would stop here if it already has been done. Here goes (this is for Platinum US):

Also, please add the note in the next versions that the eventlocations and scriptlocations list are for D/P, but not (well, mostly) for Platinum. This tricked me into confusion at first.

For example, script number 978 (twinleaf town) is 1052 in Platinum. This is determinable by comparison.

(edit) One more thing: Trying to add individual scripts in Twinleaf Town crashes the application :( Anything you could do about this? Also, please let hex code there be copy-paste-able. It would save a lot of work.

If you want to help make a complete list of map values I can send you what Roland made so far. There are a few things missing but I have not had a chance to look at it.

As for PPRE, it is beign re-written from scratch. It will no longer use a hex box for the scripts and there will be no need for event or scripts list since I will set it up to use the lists that are stored in the rom that determine the event and script file from the map value.

Umm, SCV, how goes with the Event and Scripting editing, also thanks for PPRE.

I started the script decompiler and progress is good. Maybe I will show some screenshots of what I have, so you can see what progress is. First I am working on displaying information. Then I will add the editing functions.

Ya, SCV, you know the Trainer editing for specific map, is that a low priority, or not. Becuz to me, that would be a BIG help.

That is already planned and will be available, when I release the next version.

This will work on Windows, right (also, nice movest editor)

Also, are you going to be working on the trainer editing for the specific map thing yet? (I really need it SCV.)

Yes, it will will be a part of the "Map" section.

Hey, is there any more features for the next version, oh, and can you please post a screenshot for the trainer editing for specific map thing. I really want to see it SCV (lol I just looove trainer edits).

Well it will look the same as the one in PPTE but instead of cycling through all trainers you would cycle through the trainers in a particular map.

I have not started writing that part since if someone really wanted they could use PPTE. Whereas the script editing is not something that can be done easily and with the bug that Roland found is not that effective with the old version of PPRE.

What is that bug Roland found (you don't have to tell me if you don't want to), and, you did say the trainer editing for the specific map would b in the next version, right

The bug was that when you try to change an existing script and make it bigger it doesn't get bigger, it truncates any extra bytes.

Yes, it will be in the next version, but I don't know when it will be done.