You know what really grinds my gears?

Akaria

People who use 'retarded' as a term for 'stupid', no, stop it now. Okay, I for one on bad occasions use it aswell, but I've noticed on this site the term is being thrown around pretty badly.

Young forum members, I can't stand you. Bad spelling, grammar, punctuation, spamming, thinking everyone gives a damn about what you say, saying "OH HEY LOOK AT THIS!" and things along those lines, upper-case is cruise control for cool, etc.

Rant done.

Heh... hey, I'm a young person here (Under 14? Yeah.) Say something like "I can't stand some young forum members." Not all of them are as bad as you claim, haha.

I've never used 'retarded' as a word to describe anything. I'd love to sometimes, but, hey. As the commercials at school say, "The new R-word is respect."

Well with all do respect I myself am not exactly perfect when it comes to grammar, punctuation, and bad spelling, but some of the other users really don't know any better. Most people really don't learn these things as well as they should, I personally don't have much trouble making sure that I have used and spelled words correctly, but it is to be expected though that if your on a forum for people to just almost go out of there way and rush through their posts and expect the up most respect for their so to say half ass work.

Obviously I'm not meaning every minor here, but looking back at some old forum posts of mine from other sites I cringe, ah the sign of age and time passing by.

Yes, at 16 I shouldn't be so sentimental, but just leave me with my pipe.

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

but it is to be expected though that if your on a forum for people to just almost go out of there way and rush through their posts and expect the up most respect for their so to say half ass work.

What bothers me is the people where there is no ass-to-speak-off and it's just terribly, and usually coincides with them being little twerps too.

I don't mind the odd 'u' and 'lol', but there is only so much I can take, but it's not like I'm going to do anything. Because everyone knows the internet should be taken seriously.

I know how you feel, to be quite honest. I may only be 14, but I'm usually a stickler for grammar. I do say "lol" on occasion, and I have a bad habit of using little smilies, like ^.^, >.>, V.V, O.o and such, but that's about it. CAPS LOCK DOES NOT MAKE YOU COOL. Seriously. Quit it. It makes everyone in your age group look like idiots. 1337 sp34k d03s n0t m43k u c001 31th3r. Argh, even I couldn't read that. >.< Translated into English, it should say, "leet speak does not make you cool either". If you got past Kindergarten, you'd realize typing/writing like you're an idiot will get you treated like an idiot. Go to college, or, hell, even just your average high school, and try turning in a paper like that to your teacher or professor.

I also toss out the occasional "retard", but usually only when I refer to myself. :/

Oh well. People can be... People. .-.

Well I'm only 13, and punctuation isn't my strong point, but spelling is, we may have a few mistakes here, and there, but no need to make a thread about it.

I don't think anyone uses CAPITALS for "coolness" who every thought of that idea anyway, mainly people use capitals to represent them shouting, or raising there voice, and maybe sometimes just to joke around.

Well I'm only 13, and punctuation isn't my strong point, but spelling is, we may have a few mistakes here, and there, but no need to make a thread about it.

I don't think anyone uses CAPITALS for "coolness" who every thought of that idea anyway, mainly people use capitals to represent them shouting, or raising there voice, and maybe sometimes just to joke around.

It wasn't a thread about that, it was just what 'grinds my gears', in this generation of technology there are even spell checkers on everything (including FireFox I think, as does Google Chrome) and that people generally don't have an excuse.

I've always felt instead of WRITING LIKE THIS you could probably get the same message across if you typed like this, seeing as people write with italics like this when they speak as if it were an aside.

I agree. Retardation means slow. Not stupid. That's like saying every child with Autism is stupid; yet they are some of the brightest, most intelligent people I know. They just can't communicate it to the rest of the world in the same way.

I slip up and use it when I'm ticked. It's the same way for 'gay' saying "Oh, that's so gay" instead of "That's so stupid" is not very acceptable either. Think about it, outside of homosexuality, gay originally meant HAPPY. So you're really saying "Oh, that's so happy!"

Or in the case of retarded, "Oh, that's so slow!"

Yeah, now who looks dumb?

I hate how the incoming teenagers/young teens are butchering the english language even more. We as Americans may be considered dumb for not switching to the Metric like the rest of the world and so forth, but do we really need another reason to be looked down upon?

Butchering a language is like butchering a people. Learn to be proper in your online conversational skills, people. =/

[/endrant]

I agree. RI hate how the incoming teenagers/young teens are butchering the english language even more. We as Americans may be considered dumb for not switching to the Metric like the rest of the world and so forth, but do we really need another reason to be looked down upon?

[/endrant]

People look down at us here for our teenage girls generally losing their virginity before the age of consent, constant drinking, constant teenage childbirth and our society become rather disgusting. And to be able to deep fry a Mars bar, that still perplexes me.

Ah to live in Scotland.

same here HottSushiz, your not alone.

I'm not sure if these complaints are against users of this forum, or just society in general. But if you see excessively poor grammar/spelling on the forums, just use the report button instead of bitching about it.

:grog: Woot! You tell them Pory! >=O

lol jk jk

I usually don't have bad grammar, but I have bad spelling. =<

I don't know how to spell things sometimes, but that's where Spellcheck is for. :P

Well... Hm. Retarded as in mentally slow, can sometimes be used in exchange for stupid. I'm not saying they mean exactly the same thing, but I believe there are instances where either word can be used. Such as, maybe : "Stop acting stupid/retarded."

It can be used if a person is currently being "slow" at understanding something "obvious".

Also. Calling things gay actually slightly makes sense, not that I believe that you should be using it. Some people who use it think homosexuality is bad/stupid, so they call it gay instead of bad/stupid. Other people use gay without the connection, and that's worse in a way... Well. Either way, I still don't like it, as it's still butchering the language, among other things, as previously stated.

Well, retarded simply meant slow before it meant anything pertaining to mental disorders, and by the nature of the human race you can assume that it was used as an insult before then.

Also, your comment about "thinking everyone gives a damn about what you say, saying OH HEY LOOK AT THIS!" is looking pretty hypocritical right now... >.>

People who use 'retarded' as a term for 'stupid', no, stop it now. Okay, I for one on bad occasions use it aswell, but I've noticed on this site the term is being thrown around pretty badly.

Young forum members, I can't stand you. Bad spelling, grammar, punctuation, spamming, thinking everyone gives a damn about what you say, saying "OH HEY LOOK AT THIS!" and things along those lines, upper-case is cruise control for cool, etc.

Rant done.

you know the term gay is used to much as well like o my god the people in my class use it like it a thing that they need to say to survive they make up stupid tests just to call you gay like get a life most people aren't gay and the ones that are do not deserve to be made fun of and the worst part they mock me about talking with a girl and they still call me gay

People look down at us here for our teenage girls generally losing their virginity before the age of consent, constant drinking . . .

Thats not true for just america, and isn't one of the reason's why America is "looked down upon" It happens to be a combination of our incredibly high teen pregnancy ( which isn't actually correlated with teenage girls or Boys losing their virginity before the age of consent ) Our INSANELY high crime rate, capital punishment rate ( which is higher than china mind you ) Our inability to have lasting laws/verdicts because our political party and leader change every 4 years, Our incredible rate of Obesity, self righteousness and whatever else people seem to bash us for.

Sex + Alcohol is rampant in most countries, America just pays it more attention then most, which for some reason directly correlates to the amount of underage drinking/sex going on. ( the amount of pressure put onto it ) Go figure.

you know the term gay is used to much as well like o my god the people in my class use it like it a thing that they need to say to survive they make up stupid tests just to call you gay like get a life most people aren't gay and the ones that are do not deserve to be made fun of and the worst part they mock me about talking with a girl and they still call me gay

The fact that you read the first post and still replied with no punctuation or capitalization is an epic fail.

People look down at us here for our teenage girls generally losing their virginity before the age of consent, constant drinking, constant teenage childbirth and our society become rather disgusting. And to be able to deep fry a Mars bar, that still perplexes me.

Ah to live in Scotland.

This is almost world wide but you did remind me of a common factor in what "grinds my gears."

It is the Do it for the Children mentality of government and special interest groups.

It is being used by all the above groups to increase surveillance of citizens and increased forms of spying on the public. Deep packet inspection of the Internet. Groups that do not have to answer to anyone like the Internet Watch Foundation that force ISP's to censor more and more.

Laws that end up charging teenagers as sex offenders for taking erotic photo's of themselves. Even if they are at the age of consent in their state/province/country.

I could go on but you get the drift.

Second is the above in regards but using terrorism.