Im trying to save edit pokemon heartgold on my 3ds using checkpoint to back up data and pokegen to edit. However, when i transfer the save to my computer, pokegen doesnt recognize it. Im sure that im using the correct .sav file and that checkpoint is fully updated. My pkmn heartgold is not bootleg either.

I tried loading somebody else's save on pokegen and it worked, so i figured that there's something wrong with what i did. Any suggestions? Ive been trying to get this to work for a while, so any help would be appreciated.

8 minutes ago, 0ranges_justice said:

Im trying to save edit pokemon heartgold on my 3ds using checkpoint to back up data and pokegen to edit. However, when i transfer the save to my computer, pokegen doesnt recognize it. Im sure that im using the correct .sav file and that checkpoint is fully updated. My pkmn heartgold is not bootleg either.

I tried loading somebody else's save on pokegen and it worked, so i figured that there's something wrong with what i did. Any suggestions? Ive been trying to get this to work for a while, so any help would be appreciated.

Is there a specific reason you're using Pokegen? that hasn't been maintained in ages, so you probably should use PKHeX instead.

Im not using pkhex because when i try to open my save file, it says "Invalid save file loaded. Aborting." Pkhex works perfectly with my pokemon X however, so the save editors are fine and dont need to be updated or anything. Its just that my heartgold save wont be read by them.

Doesn't look like a save file. Are you trying to dump the save from a flashcart or something?

Pretty sure the words "Fire Emblem" is not part of a save lol
image.png

Also, as what you dumped appears to be a SMDH file (icon file for 3DS), I'm removing your save from our forums.
image.png

In any case, not a save file, something is wrong with your extraction method, our programs work fine.

here's what i did, maybe this will help...

1. Save the game in pokemon heartgold 

2. launch checkpoint on 3ds and backup heartgold save.

3.connect 3ds to computer via system settings>microSD management.

4. Once connected to computer. i navigated to 3ds/Checkpoint/saves/IPKE POKEMON HG/POKEMON HG.sav

5. Then i tried opening the .sav file on pokegen and pkhex, but it failed.

fire emblem is another game i used to backup. could data have gotten mixed up somehow? what do i do?

10 minutes ago, 0ranges_justice said:

what do i do?

For starters, stop multi-posting. Any new questions before people reply you, EDIT into your latest unanswered post.

For this step, I say use regular SD > PC connection, instead of the whole file transfer thing.
Cut and paste all the save folders to your computer (this way, there are no folders with saves on your SD card, and you get to keep them as backups on your computer).

Then, backup ONLY heartgold. Don't back up anything else.

Then use HxD.exe to check the save. (to see if it has the same problems as I've shown above)

If it still gets mixed up, then use a different tool, such as TWLSaveTool. If it still fails, then something is wrong with your cart.

Oh. This issue. I answered a similar case on Discord a few days ago.

Related post: https://github.com/FlagBrew/PKSM/issues/870

Bernardo (Checkpoint Dev) suggested to use https://github.com/FlagBrew/JEDECheck to diagnose your cart, send him the information after use. Most likely, you have a bootleg Pokemon HG cart which is why the save file isn't in the right place.

• Like 1