Invalid Gen 4/5 OT Trash Bytes

KonohaDaze

Replicable oddity. Discovered this while mass editing my Smogon living dex to my OT on separate games. The OT name is set but trash bytes are not fixed properly upon doing so, and this appears to also be the case even with manual editing only in gen 4 and 5 saves.

On a second look it also appears that trash bytes are also broken for nicknames, this can be observed in the mystery gift database when some(?) events have invalid terminator sequences.

invalid.PNG

I assume your original OT was a full 7 characters long, and you are changing it to "Nate" which is 4 characters long right? The trash bytes are generated for the original OT, but when editing them they only get overwritten depending on how long your edited OT will be. The 5th character was edited to be a null terminator, expecting nothing after it. It is reading your 6th and 7th character which were unchanged from your original OT, so you will need to change those values to x0000.

• V-Wheeeeeel!!! 1

Uploading to Pokécheck is enabled. Anyways, PKHeX does not modify the trash bytes for you. It is up to you to set the correct trash bytes afterwards. Keep in mind that gen4/5 aren't connected to official servers anymore, so any trashbyte issues really aren't that big of a deal.

PKHeX doesn't have a method to set suggested trash bytes, because there isn't thorough documentation/implementation for that yet. I don't really care about them so someone else would have to do that work.

• Like 2