Do you need Switch Game Cards in order to hack?

50 minutes ago, Kaphotics said:

Physical/digital doesn't matter; you just need an exploitable console (RCM exploit isn't patched).

If you got the console before last May you'll be fine, otherwise, you're probably out of luck.

I got my Switch only around a month ago. I thought that PKHEX is user-friendly and accepted by Nintendo? Nintendo patched the Nintendo Switch to prevent us from using PKHEX? How else am I going to use cheats? I don't even think that Codejunkies have an Action Replay device for Switch games. :\

1 hour ago, Darthy09 said:

I thought that PKHEX is user-friendly

As long as you have access to your save, yes :)

and accepted by Nintendo?

Are you kidding? I hope you’re kidding. :o

Nintendo patched the Nintendo Switch to prevent us from using PKHEX? How else am I going to use cheats? I don't even think that Codejunkies have an Action Replay device for Switch games. 😕

As Kaphotics mentioned in the previous post, presently only units made before a certain date is exploitable.

You are gonna need an exploitable device in order to gain access to your saves.

It was the same issue with the 3DS: PKHeX was already built for save modification, but users need to ensure their device is capable of extracting and injecting decrypted saves; that is beyond PKHeX scope.

My advice to you is.. buy a switch that is exploitable (I bought mine a while back, as rumours of Ninty preparing to release "Mariko" units started to surface, and at that point they could hardware patch Nvidia hardware exploits), then install CFW/Homebrew on it.

Mine is operating on Atmosphere right now, using Checkpoint to dump and inject saves.

3 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

As long as you have access to your save, yes :)

Are you kidding? I hope you’re kidding. :o

As Kaphotics mentioned in the previous post, presently only units made before a certain date is exploitable.

You are gonna need an exploitable device in order to gain access to your saves.

It was the same issue with the 3DS: PKHeX was already built for save modification, but users need to ensure their device is capable of extracting and injecting decrypted saves; that is beyond PKHeX scope.

My advice to you is.. buy a switch that is exploitable (I bought mine a while back, as rumours of Ninty preparing to release "Mariko" units started to surface, and at that point they could hardware patch Nvidia hardware exploits), then install CFW/Homebrew on it.

Mine is operating on Atmosphere right now, using Checkpoint to dump and inject saves. 

There's no way that I could hack with my Nintendo Switch since I only got it a month ago? I don't want to be stuck with an older model in order to be able to hack. So when the Switch Pro comes out, we won't be able to hack on that either? What about PowerSaves? Are Codejunkies going to make an Action Replay device for Switch games? Why is it so much more complicated to hack now unlike before?

There's no way that I could hack with my Nintendo Switch since I only got it a month ago?

It's not about when you bought it, but more about when it's made.
Granted, buying it late would increase your chances of having a patched unit.
Check this page for information regarding your switch. (you're supposed to check it before buying, but oh wells).

Good luck :D

I don't want to be stuck with an older model in order to be able to hack.

I stand to be corrected (experts like @SciresM probably have to step in for this),
but my guess is that these "new units" were mainly for patching the hardware exploit, and aren't comparably any better than regular units.

So when the Switch Pro comes out, we won't be able to hack on that either?

Let me consult my magic 8-ball real quick :D
consulting in progress...
Since the newer units were made with the expressed intent to patch the hardware exploit (cause they're aware of it),
no reason why they'll downgrade and leave it open. But hey, it's Nintendo, they surprise us all the time XD

What about PowerSaves? Are Codejunkies going to make an Action Replay device for Switch games?

Previously 3DS carts stored their encrypted saves on their carts, so tools like PowerSaves could rip them out.
(note: PowerSaves sends your save to their server, presumably to their 3DS unit to decrypt the save, then write the code, encrypt it, then send it back to you)

Now that the save is stored on the Switch, gonna need to hack your unit to rip it out.
(Unless Datel can write a program that the switch would allow to be ran.. but that is almost like making a CFW right there..)

Also for your info, the saves PowerSaves saved on your PC (the backups) are encrypted saves,
meaning you normally can't use PKHeX on them. (Besides, Powersaves doesn't allow for custom save injection anyway)

People only have been able to inject custom saves when cyber save editor could dump and inject into carts (japan only) or when CFW/Homebrew came along.

Why is it so much more complicated to hack now unlike before?

Don't see how this is more complicated than last time.
(beyond the fact they've now learned about piracy and homebrew and actively trying to stomp it out)

Effectively:
You want your save: Need a tool/cfw to dump and inject your save.
Look below for the comparison (note that the underlined and italics match the process above)

3DS:
Tool: Powersaves to dump save (from cart), use decryption procedure to view your save, no injections (unless using GW or CFW/Homebrew)
Tool: (Japan carts only) Use Cyber save editor to extract save, use Cyber save editor to inject save modified by PKHeX
CFW: Use CFW/Homebrew to dump save, use CFW/Homebrew to inject save

Switch:
Tool: Saves aren't stored on carts, so no physical dumping tool for carts presently exist.

Beyond the Switch having hardware revision to block piracy&homebrew, don't see how it's any different, really.. :/

(on a related note, while 3DS didn't get hardware revision, since the access point was found late in it's life cycle,
it has had software updates to block flashcarts, so they've always been trying to stamp out stuff they don't like)

----------

In any case, hope your unit is an old unit, good luck :).

New units.. well the hardware exploit isn't there, but who's to say people won't find a software one?
Though if so, it's probably gonna take a lot of time for one to surface, and you might have to keep in mind about not updating the firmware at all etc etc.
It's arguably worse to keep a new unit, cause you wanna keep it on the lowest firmware possible, even if it wasn't announced that an exploit exists.
[Cause by the time they announce it, it may be for some old firmware that most people don't keep it on, or might need some game that instantly becomes expensive to purchase..]

edit: Anyway this isn't a Datel support forum. We have no way of knowing if they'll ever release a tool to support the Switch.

24 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

It's not about when you bought it, but more about when it's made.
Granted, buying it late would increase your chances of having a patched unit.
Check this page for information regarding your switch. (you're supposed to check it before buying, but oh wells).

Good luck :D

I stand to be corrected (experts like @SciresM probably have to step in for this),
but my guess is that these "new units" were mainly for patching the hardware exploit, and aren't comparably any better than regular units.

Let me consult my magic 8-ball real quick :D
consulting in progress...
Since the newer units were made with the expressed intent to patch the hardware exploit (cause they're aware of it),
no reason why they'll downgrade and leave it open. But hey, it's Nintendo, they surprise us all the time XD

Previously 3DS carts stored their encrypted saves on their carts, so tools like PowerSaves could rip them out.
(note: PowerSaves sends your save to their server, presumably to their 3DS unit to decrypt the save, then write the code, encrypt it, then send it back to you)

Now that the save is stored on the Switch, gonna need to hack your unit to rip it out.
(Unless Datel can write a program that the switch would allow to be ran.. but that is almost like making a CFW right there..)

Also for your info, the saves PowerSaves saved on your PC (the backups) are encrypted saves,
meaning you normally can't use PKHeX on them. (Besides, Powersaves doesn't allow for custom save injection anyway)

People only have been able to inject custom saves when cyber save editor could dump and inject into carts (japan only) or when CFW/Homebrew came along.

Don't see how this is more complicated than last time.
(beyond the fact they've now learned about piracy and homebrew and actively trying to stomp it out)

Effectively:
You want your save: Need a tool/cfw to dump and inject your save.
Look below for the comparison (note that the underlined and italics match the process above)

3DS:
Tool: Powersaves to dump save (from cart), use decryption procedure to view your save, no injections (unless using GW or CFW/Homebrew)
Tool: (Japan carts only) Use Cyber save editor to extract save, use Cyber save editor to inject save modified by PKHeX

Switch:
Tool: Saves aren't stored on carts, so no physical dumping tool for carts presently exist.

Beyond the Switch having hardware revision to block piracy&homebrew, don't see how it's any different, really.. :/

(on a related note, while 3DS didn't get hardware revision, since the access point was found late in it's life cycle,
it has had software updates to block flashcarts, so they've always been trying to stamp out stuff they don't like)

----------

In any case, hope your unit is an old unit, good luck :).

New units.. well the hardware exploit isn't there, but who's to say people won't find a software one?
Though if so, it's probably gonna take a lot of time for one to surface, and you might have to keep in mind about not updating the firmware at all etc etc.
It's arguably worse to keep a new unit, cause you wanna keep it on the lowest firmware possible, even if it wasn't announced that an exploit exists.
[Cause by the time they announce it, it may be for some old firmware that most people don't keep it on, or might need some game that instantly becomes expensive to purchase..]

edit: Anyway this isn't a Datel support forum. We have no way of knowing if they'll ever release a tool to support the Switch.

So I might as well buy digital Nintendo Switch games as I originally wanted since the saves aren't even stored on the Switch game carts anyways, right? It would be impossible to hack the game carts since they don't have any saved data on them, right? I really hope that people find a software one like you said. If they find a software one, we won't need to worry about having the latest Switch model to be able to hack, right?

Just now, Darthy09 said:

So I might as well buy digital Nintendo Switch games as I originally wanted since the saves aren't even stored on the Switch game carts anyways, right? It would be impossible to hack the game carts since they don't have any saved data on them, right? I really hope that people find a software one like you said. If they find a software one, we won't need to worry about having the latest Switch model to be able to hack, right?

Yeah, since it doesn't really make a difference. (though I'm not sure if digital purchases are shared across accounts :/)

Hmmm, presently saves aren't stored on carts. They might change it. I doubt it. but they could.

Well even if you won't have to worry about the switch model, you may have to be on a significantly lower firmware.
But to buy games to play them, you may have to update PAST that firmware.
Honestly it's just easier to sell your present Switch and buy an older model, if you intend to hack/cheat.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 12:09 PM, Sabresite said:

I just got a 2nd Switch for Christmas and I thought it would be 1012+ but it's 1011. I haven't tried to hack it, but it might be possible.

Is it possible that the latest Switch model can still work using PKHeX? I have no idea what you mean by 1012+, I assume it's the update file or model number? Why is it so difficult to hack now? Is Nintendo against this practice? If I have the latest Switch model, how do I supposed to hack my Let's Go, Pikachu game?? I'm out of luck? I remember Codejunkies provided us Action Replay which let us hack the old games like X and Y and Sun and Moon without any complications. I didn't have to worry about what 3DS model I had, I just needed the game cartridge and away I went. It was so simple and user-friendly compared to using PKHeX. :/

3 hours ago, Darthy09 said:

Why is it so difficult to hack now? Is Nintendo against this practice? If I have the latest Switch model, how do I supposed to hack my Let's Go, Pikachu game?? I'm out of luck? I remember Codejunkies provided us Action Replay which let us hack the old games like X and Y and Sun and Moon without any complications. I didn't have to worry about what 3DS model I had, I just needed the game cartridge and away I went. It was so simple and user-friendly compared to using PKHeX. :/

Nintendo has always been against hacking, historically the security on past Nintendo consoles has always been defeated quite quickly. In addition Nintendo has never really banned people from online play until well in to the 3DS's lifetime.

However with the 3DS people started abusing stuff, for example homebrew applications to download everything on the Eshop for free...

So needless to say the Switch was released with much greater security, some of it even backported to the 3DS.

Saves are now stored on the Switch regardless of if the game is a physical game cartridge, or a downloadable title. So the only way to access this save is by hacking the Switch. The only hack usable to the end user is the RCM hack, which exploited a hardware flaw in a lot of earlier Switch consoles. Nintendo managed to patch this hardware flaw in newer Switch consoles, meaning theirs currently no way to use homebrew applications to extract your saves if you have a newer Switch console.

If you have used a hacked 3DS with homebrew applications to extract your saves, then its really no harder on the Switch. It is however harder to find a Switch that is still hackable in the wild compared to the 3DS.

You need to do some research and work out if your Switch is hackable or not. If it is all you really need is a jig from Ebay and a USB to USB Type C cable to send the payload from your computer to get started with Switch hacking, presuming of course your Switch is hackable. If you purchased your Nintendo Switch before June 2018 it should be, if you purchased it after that it might or might not be.

Edited by InsaneNutter
  • Like 1