What are your thoughts on the new female character?

FLOOTENKERP

What are your thoughts on the new female character?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on the new female character?

• I like her, she looks like she will make a good addition to the game.
    • I absolutely hate this girl. She looks like Mario and doesn't look appealing at all.
    • I don't care.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hat bothers me the most. I'm afraid that when I lift it up, there'll be a Metroid just sitting underneat it. The hair design is nice, as is the color and the overall costume. If they had made the hat a little less Euro and a little bit smaller, it would've been a bit better.

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest, I don't understand the hate at all. I also don't understand the "looks like Mario thing." I especially don't understand the people that hate her because she "replaced" Kris. Personally, I've accepted that she is most likely a redesign of Kris, just updated to fit with the new FRLG/DPP image style and modern trends (characters in Pokemon are less extravagant in recent years). As someone who lives in Japan, her outfit is NOT that outrageous to me, and seems pretty standard for the times. And for those that say her shirt is ugly... she's basically wearing the same shirt as the Boy character.

I think everyone just needs to get over it. Her overworld sprite especially does not look bad.

Anyway, here's an interesting image I found somewhere online. I realize there are a LOT of steps involved, but it's interesting to think about.

Crystal-HGSS.png

Crystal-HGSS.png.58b8f5d2e0cd3efd45c74da

To be honest, I don't understand the hate at all. I also don't understand the "looks like Mario thing." I especially don't understand the people that hate her because she "replaced" Kris. Personally, I've accepted that she is most likely a redesign of Kris, just updated to fit with the new FRLG/DPP image style and modern trends (characters in Pokemon are less extravagant in recent years). As someone who lives in Japan, her outfit is NOT that outrageous to me, and seems pretty standard for the times. And for those that say her shirt is ugly... she's basically wearing the same shirt as the Boy character.

I think everyone just needs to get over it. Her overworld sprite especially does not look bad.

Anyway, here's an interesting image I found somewhere online. I realize there are a LOT of steps involved, but it's interesting to think about.

QFT! Except for the living in Japan part. lol

...that's the "Quoted for Truth" variation BTW.

No, I meant it to imply that that was my thoughts as well, except that I don't live in Japan. I seem to have forgotten to do the first part! xD I know YOU live in Japan, you couldn't play the HGSS demo otherwise...unless it was a vacation with a very specific purpose. =P

I haven't seen that EXACT one, its much more detailed than the versions I've seen with normally only 4-5 images. I actually like this one a lot more than the others, and its pretty good at proving its point. I actually think that if the character had kept the blue hair like how the second to last image shows, people would stop debating if it was the Crystal girl.

It's not too horrible of a change, when you put it in that perspective. Honestly though, the original Kris coloring of soft colors (pinks and such) just feels more feminine. The dark red and blue are very....iffy to me.

I'm still convinced its a Crystal redesign, but Pokemon Sunday revealed her name to officially be Kotone.

I don't really care about the games name choices though, cause I still call the characters by their Pokemon Special names May is still Sapphire, Brendan is Ruby, and Kotone/Kris are stil Crystal. lol

I don't particularly care. The trainer sprite isn't something I'm likely to be paying attention to when I'm playing the game.

I also don't get this business of her "replacing" Kris. Even if she is, how does it matter? Why is it so important? Is the character sprite really that important?

I'm still convinced its a Crystal redesign, but Pokemon Sunday revealed her name to officially be Kotone.

I don't really care about the games name choices though, cause I still call the characters by their Pokemon Special names May is still Sapphire, Brendan is Ruby, and Kotone/Kris are stil Crystal. lol

Yeah, it did say Kotone in that walkthrough part, but... that's not necessarily the first suggested name. Although... you don't choose the other character's name, do you? So... that's it, then. Her Japanese name.

Interesting bit of trivia for you:

The two kanji for Kotone... they are basically koto (the japanese harp) and sound. So... sound of the koto. But, the interesting thing is is that one of the other pronunciations of the koto kanji is also "kin"... which means gold. Different Kanji, of course, but it continues in Pokemon's tradition of names being plays on words.

The supposed list in order is:

コトネ (Kotone)

ミキ (Miki)

ゴールド (Gold)

ハート (Heart)

シルバー (Silver)

ソウル (Soul)

Oh, and the boys default name is supposedly ヒビキ (Hibiki), likely with another default name and then Gold, Heart, Silver, and Soul. If they are going to change Gold's default name as well, then I'm definitely staying with my Kotone = Crys theory.

I really don't remember where I got it from. I had done a Google search earlier for コトネwith Pokemon and Pocket Monsters and the list came up and had Gold's supposed name as well. It is the same as Bulbapedia now that I look at Kotone's page... might have been a copy and paste job then. -.-

Oh well, I'm just going to stop speculating myself, its less than a week till the game is released and I'll have the answers. No point wondering right now. lol

The hat bothers me the most. I'm afraid that when I lift it up, there'll be a Metroid just sitting underneat it. The hair design is nice, as is the color and the overall costume. If they had made the hat a little less Euro and a little bit smaller, it would've been a bit better.

I'd have to agree with this. My big problem with the design is the hat, though I don't particularly like the rest of the design either.

Oh well. They had a lot of pressure to make something as good as the 3rd/4th gen designs imo, so I can forgive it.

• 2 weeks later...