Nintendo 2DS

LEGOanimal22

Yeah, it looks ugly and all. But a $40 price drop with the only real sacrifice being a feature that almost everyone recognized as a dumb gimmick can push a lot of people into buying it for their kids.

Personally I'd rather play a 2DS than the 3DS. But the 3DS XL is honestly just perfect for my hands while the DSiXL was way too bulky.

I probably won't get one unless they come up with a packaging with X/Y.

I also think it is interesting there is no JP release for it.

Yeah, it looks ugly and all. But a $40 price drop with the only real sacrifice being a feature that almost everyone recognized as a dumb gimmick can push a lot of people into buying it for their kids.

Personally I'd rather play a 2DS than the 3DS. But the 3DS XL is honestly just perfect for my hands while the DSiXL was way too bulky.

I probably won't get one unless they come up with a packaging with X/Y.

I also think it is interesting there is no JP release for it.

I read that there is no release in JP,

as the "concerns" (3D bad for eyesight for kids? hinges breaks easily? etc.) were raised mainly by citizens outside JP.

--

2DS fun fact:

It actually only has 1 screen (which is touch screen) in order to cut costs.

They then used the frame to make it look like two screens, and put a transparent layer over the "top screen".

I read that there is no release in JP,

as the "concerns" (3D bad for eyesight for kids? hinges breaks easily? etc.) were raised mainly by citizens outside JP.

--

2DS fun fact:

It actually only has 1 screen (which is touch screen) in order to cut costs.

They then used the frame to make it look like two screens, and put a transparent layer over the "top screen".

Well, there is a parental controls setting that can turn off 3D

The hinges can still break, though, and it's just safer (and cheaper) overall to buy a 2DS if it's for a kid.

I'm not really too interested in this but I can understand why it's being made, I just hope it doesn't get any more different versions 2DS, 3DS and 3DSXL are fine. (3DS Lite! 3DSi! etc.)

• 4 months later...
This console is more affordable but it's a piece of crap due to a lack of 3D visuals and closing the screen.

I gotta disagree. During the Christmas season, some stores were selling it for as little as $99. That's a $50 savings from the sale prices for 3DS XL during the same holiday seasons. The lack of 3D means there's no real possibility to harm developing eyes.

I also found it really easy to hold and I felt the screen size was pretty good with its format. I think it presents some portability issues, but people don't really take their portable consoles everywhere in the US like they do in Japan.