Hoenn: Cooler than you think

Guested

As for me i liked everything in Hoenn. EVERYTHING!!! The music... i stopped playing just to listen to the soundtrack. And Evergrande City, a great plase for your first challenge with incredible music to go with it. Meteor Falls another great place with outstanding music that suits it and the cave of origin.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for me i liked everything in Hoenn. EVERYTHING!!! The music... i stopped playing just to listen to the soundtrack. And Evergrande City, a great plase for your first challenge with incredible music to go with it. Meteor Falls another great place with outstanding music that suits it and the cave of origin.

It did have the best sound track in my opinion, not like DPPt where I want to rip my ears out.

• 3 weeks later...

I really loved Emerald! One of my favorite pokemon games the region was really beautiful and the whole weather effect was amazing and was a first for me. I also loved the Pokemon (Swellow, Linoone,etc). What I liked the most was the sound track! I remember at times I fell asleep listening to the music in Verdentuff (I don't know if I spelled it right lol) town.

Emerald was cool. The new pokemon was awesome,(Flygon = yay, Swampert = YAY, Gardevoir = YAAAAAAAAAY) and the weather effects were great. I didn't like the huge water route. After tentacool nr. 10000 you don't just wanna faint the thing... YOU WANNA DESTROY IT. Max repels FTW

Hoenn was great... it introduced the Battle Frontier (in Emerald) and also in the anime, I thought Destiny Deoxys was like the best one. But Arceus and the Jewel of Life will be really good too... so I guess my 2 favs are Hoenn and Sinnoh

• 6 months later...

Personally, I like Hoenn better than Sinnoh. People complain about "Where's mah awesomez day and nights zystem" or "Why can't I goez back to Johtoz or Kantoz in this games?". Hey. We loved the Gen I games. It had none of those features. Why can't we love Gen III? At least it had a clock, unlike Gen I or it's remakes. I'm not saying it was better then Gen I by a long shot; however, Hoenn was my favorite region. Equally diversed land and sea, large open areas, etc. In terms of story... Well, it's not exactly good, but it's standable. It's will never amount to Gens I and II. It can hold it's own against Gen IV, however. It would be 10 times better than Gen IV if it had kept more Gen I or Gen II Pokémon. It did not, though. As such, it's only 2 times better than Gen IV. Gen IV kept a lot of Gen I and II Pokémon (and even added new evolutions for them). That's the only thing Gen IV had going for me, though. So, the order of the Gens is the order of the best Gens. Gen I is the best, Gen II is second, Gen III third, and Gen IV last. I hope Gen V can top the older Gens, but I don't think it will happen. Overall, Gen III was decent. Even without all of Gen II's features. ~STBE

Hoenn... it was like a fresh new start. I guess the overall different feeling about it somewhat turned the people down. I liked the exotic nature of it though... and the starters being actually original (I dare not rant about Johto's starters' un-creativity before I ruin people's childhood). But mostly people think too much about the previous Gen's ability to get 16 badges and stuff... but the thing is, Gen II was a sequel to Gen I while Gen III is just another world... but people love the older games mostly due to nostalgia (I know I am one).

I heard from other people what turned them off was the massive amount of water routes. The only thing turning me off are how people are somewhat immodest in Gen III... but that's to be expected in a tropical environment >.>

Last summer I had a pretty boring job, and used the opportunity to restart Ruby, Emerald and FireRed to play through them completely, collect every item, and complete each Pokedex. Playing through Ruby was a bit of a pain due to its somewhat awkward interface (ugly and oversized font in the menus, no ability to move groups of Pokmeon around your PC simultaneously or attach items to Pokemon in the PC, and not enough slots for items in your bag) , however Emerald improved the menu font, added those features to the PC storage system, and threw in 10 extra items spaces in the bag so that's the one I played through first and used Ruby and FireRed to help complete its Pokedex. The three of them are now all fully complete with all the PC boxes and items organized the way I like, but thanks to that second run through Hoenn with Emerald I still like going back to play it now and then. There's also the fact that Emerald is the best game for Pal Parking due to its excellent cloning ability.

Personally I don't really mind the water routes... sure the constant wild Pokemon attacks can get a bit irritating, but it does give you more to explore with all the underwater caves and such.

My one and only complaint for Hoenn would be the removal of the day/night system. I really liked that feature from Generation 2 so I had a hard time letting that go.

But other than that, I loved Hoenn. Especially loved the new species additions (Seviper, ftw!) and the Diving!

The weather was great, too. Falling ash? Yes! I don't know how many times I ran around collecting ash for that glass furniture! Which brings me to my next gush - Secret Bases! I didn't care too much about them at first, but once I started to play around with the concept and started exchanging records with people, I really became hooked.

I can't say that I had as much enthusiasm for Sinnoh... even with the return of my precious day/night system. Sinnoh just didn't really pique my interest as much. I just didn't feel as motivated to explore and discover as I did with Hoenn.

And as someone mentioned earlier, the music wasn't all that inspiring either. The only theme I can think of when I think Sinnoh is Route 209's theme... and I only remember it through Super Smash Bros. Brawl!

Meanwhile, I can distinctly remember several times in Hoenn in which I just stood around listening to music. Especially in the Oceanic Museum and Sootopolis.

To summarize: "Heck Yeah Hoenn!"

(I guess we'll be seeing a R/S/E remake soon at the rate things are going, eh?)

(I guess we'll be seeing a R/S/E remake soon at the rate things are going, eh?)

Eventually, no doubt. But I doubt it'll be that soon. Gen I and II were remade primarily (putting aside the fact Nintendo and Game Freak want money) because the original games were no longer compatible. There was also the fact it was absolutely impossible to complete a Pokedex even if you had access to each of the three Hoenn games; and not everyone had a Gamecube or wanted to play through Colosseum and xD. FireRed and LeafGreen were necessary in order to make GBA-alone Pokedex completion possible.

Since all the Hoenn games are still technically compatible with the Sinnoh games and Johto remakes, there's little reason yet to bother remaking them. Maybe a year or two after the first Generation V game is released, we may get a Hoenn remake. Though if Gen V is able to trade with Gen IV, there'll still be a workable pathway between the GBA series and Generation V.

I would be so overjoyed when they finally release the remake i so desire... Imagine Hoenn with day and night... Traveling at night in the see to find the light-up Pasificlog town... That would be nice. Hmm... Sounds good to me. I hope that it would be the next game after generation 5. Or better yet have Hoenn in the generation 5 game... Just imagining...

Since all the Hoenn games are still technically compatible with the Sinnoh games and Johto remakes, there's little reason yet to bother remaking them. Maybe a year or two after the first Generation V game is released, we may get a Hoenn remake. Though if Gen V is able to trade with Gen IV, there'll still be a workable pathway between the GBA series and Generation V.

Well, FireRed/LeafGreen Kanto comes to mind if i get what you are saying. But i doubt it will be 7 years since the last Hoenn remake. It has already been 5 since Emerald hit the shelves.

Well, FireRed/LeafGreen Kanto comes to mind if i get what you are saying.

I just meant that if Gen V is able to trade with Gen IV, then you'll still have a way to get Pokemon from the GBA games to Gen V (via Pal Park, and then trade). Though by the time Gen V is released, I suppose Nintendo may just ignore that fact and release a remake anyway, since there won't exactly be a ton of people who still own or play the GBA games.

I just meant that if Gen V is able to trade with Gen IV, then you'll still have a way to get Pokemon from the GBA games to Gen V (via Pal Park, and then trade). Though by the time Gen V is released, I suppose Nintendo may just ignore that fact and release a remake anyway, since there won't exactly be a ton of people who still own or play the GBA games.

I guess that is me. I do not play gen 3 games since generation 4 came. And i see no reason for Emerald's release... However the sands of time have shifted, and thus it is about to be realeased in the near 2011 future. That is my Future sight, if you will...

Emerald was the best Hoenn game by far, though. The changes to the plot were minor, but the smaller useability features added to Emerald made it worlds better than Ruby or Sapphire. And the unoffical cloning features still makes Emerald incredibly useful for Pal Parking.

I never said it was better. But the original two had their shine... As far as the clonning glitch i never heard of it till recently.