Action Replay / Pokemon Black and White Version (JPN) Incompatability Discussion

I have an action replay ds that i got to work with pokemon black and pokemon white on the first day i got the games because i got my ar ds upgraded to a 1.71 firmware. but there are some things u all should know about when using the shiny pokemon cheat code that is available in the updated codejunkies list and using the wild pokemon modifier cheat code that is included in the list . wild pokemod do not breed them. and shiny pokemon do not battle zoroark when the shiny cheat is on because it will freeze the game until u reset it of turn off and turn on. and if u do breed the pokemon from pokemon mod the pokemon in the daycare will transform into a bad egg and coruppt the game or the game freezes i don't know it is one of those 2 .

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an action replay ds that i got to work with pokemon black and pokemon white on the first day i got the games because i got my ar ds upgraded to a 1.71 firmware. but there are some things u all should know about when using the shiny pokemon cheat code that is available in the updated codejunkies list and using the wild pokemon modifier cheat code that is included in the list . wild pokemod do not breed them. and shiny pokemon do not battle zoroark when the shiny cheat is on because it will freeze the game until u reset it of turn off and turn on. and if u do breed the pokemon from pokemon mod the pokemon in the daycare will transform into a bad egg and coruppt the game or the game freezes i don't know it is one of those 2 .

Thank you for the warnings.

actually if u go to codejunkies .com and go to support section then u can find the firmware update for black and white. and also word of advice pokemon gotten from pokemod can't be traded thru gts. but theres a way around it . if u still have a hg or ss pokemon mod the one that has 493 master balls and 100 ultra balls . use it to your advantage and also the pokemon mod for pokemon platinum. i found out that a jirachi gotten from the mod can be traded if not shiny. and use the pokemon shiny cheat for black and white only when facing a legendary that does not transform like cobalion, landorus,kyurem,and volcarona,and tornadus and thunderus . and plus i found this out about keldeo. it is in the game but it's location is unknown as in u can't find it yet but if u use the pokemod to get it the music when u faced cobalion or the other 2 will start up when in tall grass so that proves that keldeo is in the game but where exactly either by event like victini and celebi or in a cave some where in the game

Well, I spent a couple hours trying to figure out how to fix this on my action replay. This problem was solved on my USA Action Replay just by reseting the software. Right click on the DSi code manager title and then click more about it bla bla then 'reset software'

Well, I spent a couple hours trying to figure out how to fix this on my action replay. This problem was solved on my USA Action Replay just by reseting the software. Right click on the DSi code manager title and then click more about it bla bla then 'reset software'

how does this fix the AR if it cant talk to the computer?

or were you talking about the other problem?

actually if u go to codejunkies .com and go to support section then u can find the firmware update for black and white. and also word of advice pokemon gotten from pokemod can't be traded thru gts. but theres a way around it . if u still have a hg or ss pokemon mod the one that has 493 master balls and 100 ultra balls . use it to your advantage and also the pokemon mod for pokemon platinum. i found out that a jirachi gotten from the mod can be traded if not shiny. and use the pokemon shiny cheat for black and white only when facing a legendary that does not transform like cobalion, landorus,kyurem,and volcarona,and tornadus and thunderus . and plus i found this out about keldeo. it is in the game but it's location is unknown as in u can't find it yet but if u use the pokemod to get it the music when u faced cobalion or the other 2 will start up when in tall grass so that proves that keldeo is in the game but where exactly either by event like victini and celebi or in a cave some where in the game

It doesn't work. At least, not for everyone. With my version of AR, I kept getting the "Not a Firmware File" error. I think it was because I was trying to go from 1.52 to 1.71 without getting 1.60 in between. I couldn't find a download for 1.60 anywhere, sadly.

It doesn't work. At least, not for everyone. With my version of AR, I kept getting the "Not a Firmware File" error. I think it was because I was trying to go from 1.52 to 1.71 without getting 1.60 in between. I couldn't find a download for 1.60 anywhere, sadly.

Have you attempted to manually reset your AR to it's factory settings? I'll look in to finding a firmware fix if I can.

The purpose of this thread is to:

1) explain why you can't use your Action Replay with your brand new Pokemon Black or White Version (JPN) Cart

2) direct everybody to the people who can actually fix the problem

3) let everybody know how to fix it *as soon as Datel releases the fix for it*

A lot of people have been confused about why they can't use any AR Codes (or even boot the game with an AR for that matter) with their new legit cart. Many of them (including myself) have been spamming up the code thread seeking help and answers, so I think it's a good idea to divert that discussion here.

The Problem:

You know you have the correct Game ID and Codes for Pokemon Black or White Version (JPN) in your ARDS. You put your ARDS in your DS Lite. You turn the DS on and the White ARDS Firmware screen pops up like normal. The ARDS detects your version of the game like normal and you select the codes you want. You then press the big Green START aaaaaaaaaand...... it fades to white but the game never starts. This is the specific problem we're talking about here. Trust me, it's not just you. People all around the world are experiencing the exact same problems as you. However, if you're having a different problem, you'll need to ask elsewhere. This isn't a code-fix/request thread, or a Rom/emu help thread. This is just for the discussion of the incompatibility between the physical, legit Pokemon Black and White Versions (JPN) and physical Action Replays on physical carts.

Research:

As soon as I got my copy of Pokemon Black Version (JPN) in, I started testing this problem right away. I verified that the problem actually existed by following the steps I described above (I already had all the codes in my ARDS in preparation). I got the results I (and countless others) described. As soon as I saw that it was real, I double and triple checked the Game ID and all the codes that I had in it. They were all right. The Game ID and the Codes were not the problem. I then took the AR out and stuck the cart (Pokemon Black Version (JPN) in by itself. The game started up just fine with no problems. The Cartridge itself was not broken. I then put my Pokemon Pearl Version (ENG) into my ARDS and that into my DSLite, and started it up, selected the codes I wanted, etc. It all worked fine too. The ARDS was not broken either. I then stuck my Pokemon Heart Gold Version (JPN) into my DS. It booted up just fine as well. It definitely wasn't an issue with Region Lock.

After that I did a little more internet research. It turns out that:

1) Datel (the maker of Action Replay) has several videos showing them using what are obviously Action Replay DSs (1, 2) and Action Replay DSis (1, 2) on Pokemon Black and White Versions (JPN). So obviously Pokemon Black and White Versions (JPN) can be compatable with Action Replay DS.

2) However, if you'll notice at least in the ARDS Vids (I'm not familiar with ARDSi because I don't have one) the Firmware Version in the video is 1.71. The most recent ARDS Firmware released to date is 1.60.

3) The Japanese version of the ARDS, known as the ARDS Max 3, required an update to play Pokemon Black and White Versions (JPN).

4) Copied straight from codejunkies.com's description of the ARDSi: "Like previous versions of Action Replay, Action Replay DSi* is fully updateable, so you don't need to buy a new one when new games are released; just update your Action Replay over the internet using the PC app supplied. You can also enter codes manually using Action Replay's virtual keyboard. Our code creators are always hard at work on the latest DS titles, so even the very latest games will be trained and tamed within hours of hitting the shelves."

Conclusion:

Honestly, we still don't fully understand what the problem is. It's not the Action Replay, it's not the game, it's not the Game ID, and it's not the codes though. I suspect it has something to do with the firmware version of Action Replay that we're all currently using, but only the Code Junkies team can definitively answer that. However, we do know for a fact that Action Replay and Pokemon Black and White Versions absolutely can be compatible, but at this point in time, hundreds, if not thousands of people around the world are all experiencing this same problem. Which is where YOU come in!

What You Can Do About It:

Don't bother asking for help in the forums here. While the leaders here are skilled and intelligent, the people we need to focus our attention on to solve this problem is the team at codejunkies.com. They know Action Replays inside and out and without their help we'll never see this fixed.

1) Fill out a Contact Form at codejunkies.com's help section. HERE FOR NORTH AMERICA or HERE FOR EUROPE. Please, include as much descriptive information as you can. Make sure to include whether you're using an ARDS, ARDSi, or whatever, what cartridge you're using (along with the Game ID found ON the cart itself), what system you're using (DS, DSLite, DSi, DSiXL) the game ID, any codes you're using, and a detailed description of the problem (like I detailed above).

2) Email them yourself at Support@DatelDesign.com. Include as much descriptive information as you can. Make sure to include whether you're using an ARDS, ARDSi, or whatever, what cartridge you're using (along with the Game ID found ON the cart itself), what system you're using (DS, DSLite, DSi, DSiXL) the game ID, any codes you're using, and a detailed description of the problem (like I detailed above).727-431-0650 (US is free), 866-557-5596 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************866-557-5596******end_of_the_skype_highlighting (Canada I believe is free too), 0906 550 1236 (UK, apparently costs 1$ per minute or something)

4) Tell anyone you know with an AR and B/W who is experiencing this problem about this thread, and what they can do to fix it.

5) Fill out a "Service Ticket" on Datel's Customer Service site (it's different than their codejunkies site).

I would suggest doing all four of these things, not just one, in order to put as much pressure on them to fix this as is possible. If they don't think this is much of an issue, they might let it slide.

As soon as a fix is released, or codejunkies replies to any of my emails/phonecalls, I'll make sure to update the OP.

Oh, and feel free to post if you are experiencing this problem. That way we can have a contact list for when the fix is released. It might be helpful if you can list what cart you're using, what system, and what firmware version of Action Replay DS or Action Replay DSi or whatever, you're experiencing this problem with too.

[EDIT]

According to user Darkened Earth, Datel has responded to several of his emails asking about the problem. In them Datel says they are working on an update to fix the problem. That sounds a lot like what they had to do for Japan, and is a very good sign.

[EDIT, HUUUUUUUUUGE UPDATE]

User Ste619 first noted and posted a link to a fix for this problem for newer ARDSi's. This fix is (as we expected) a firmware upgrade that makes the ARDSi compatable with Pokemon Black and White Versions (JPN). This fix does not work for older ARDSi's that do not have the micro-SD slot, or for ARDS's or for any other Action Replay. Just the newer ARDSi's.

We don't have any word yet on wether or not Datel will be releasing a fix for older and other AR models, but it's likely. If you do not have a newer ARDSi, it's imperative that you contact Datel US and/or Datel UK from the various methods listed above and ask them if and or when they will be releasing a similar firmware upgrade for older and other AR models.

[edit, almost final edit]

Those effing @!*#%&@#$!! They said they wouldn't be releasing ARDS Firmware 1.71 till March 2011 so I went out and bought an ARDSi...

ARDS Firmware 1.71 (Works With Black and White).

hey the update doesnt work with my DS action replay it says its not a firmware file when I drop it into the code manager

sorry about that but its just been months since i last was here and did see what everyone else wrots cause i forgot my password and stuff and trying to get a new one which was erking the hell out of me >_> but thats then and this is now and also I dont understand by what gen 1 and gen 2 mean?

a gen 1 is the ards that you need to take out and put the game in, the gen 2 lets the game plug into the back of the ar.

How handy are you guys with soldering, i can crack mine open adn see what it woudl take for a manual reflash if that would help anyone.

a gen 1 is the ards that you need to take out and put the game in, the gen 2 lets the game plug into the back of the ar.

How handy are you guys with soldering, i can crack mine open adn see what it woudl take for a manual reflash if that would help anyone.

Well, that idea is a bust. Its got a standard flash chip(SST 39VF080) that contains the codes, a standard USB driver chip (Cypress CY7C63743) and a specialized datel chip(Datel NDSAR) of which there are no datasheets.

Reading through the posts since I last checked, I thought I'd try that idea, set the codes in the ARDS then remove the ARDS, insert the game and start it up. Ended up getting that "Insert Action Replay" message on the DS. ^_^; So, I guess mine can't do that to load codes for the game; it needs the AR. (I was hoping that somehow I'd be able to cause White to load that way. Oh well.)

On another note, I've decided that I'll go get an ARDSi. However, I've been catching a number of comments of difficulties with those as well. Is there a model I should avoid getting? Or were they just people who hadn't updated yet or were using the wrong codes?

I was able to find this file on the codejunkies site. It appears to be the .bin file for the 1.60 firmware.

http://us.codejunkies.com/nds_actionreplay/ArPro.firmware.1.60.bin

Hopefully it will help someone out when upgrading to 1.71. I am unable to test it at this time.

Thats an ARv2 firmware so it will need the same edits, and probably have the same flaws, but THANK YOU, i was looking all over for that, now does anyone have any other firmware versions for the arv1 cart aside fromt he software update ones?

thanks Cephyros ^_^

Your welcome

I dug around a little more and found this page:

http://us.codejunkies.com/nds_actionreplay/update_info_us.asp

I has the link for the 1.60 bin above, as well as 1.54 and even a 2.00 link that gives a 404.

I just wish I had read things a liiiiittle more carefully yesterday. (you'd think the big red text would have been enough.) I'm stuck on 1.71 now and unable to input any more codes. I've contacted Datel about this and have not heard back yet.

I'm not expecting any response from them other than "lol, buy a new ARDSi" though.

Just to clarify, I have the v2 pass-through cart. I was on 1.54 and did the FIRM edit on the 1.71 bin. If only I had waited until I found the 1.60 I might not be in this situation.

Cephyros, do you have any insight on how difficult it would be to write a custom app to brute-force downgrade the firmware on the v2 cart? I've tried to look into this, but my skills are not honed to this particular kind of thing.

I dug around a little more and found this page:

http://us.codejunkies.com/nds_actionreplay/update_info_us.asp

I has the link for the 1.60 bin above, as well as 1.54 and even a 2.00 link that gives a 404.

I just wish I had read things a liiiiittle more carefully yesterday. (you'd think the big red text would have been enough.) I'm stuck on 1.71 now and unable to input any more codes. I've contacted Datel about this and have not heard back yet.

I'm not expecting any response from them other than "lol, buy a new ARDSi" though.

Just to clarify, I have the v2 pass-through cart. I was on 1.54 and did the FIRM edit on the 1.71 bin. If only I had waited until I found the 1.60 I might not be in this situation.

Cephyros, do you have any insight on how difficult it would be to write a custom app to brute-force downgrade the firmware on the v2 cart? I've tried to look into this, but my skills are not honed to this particular kind of thing.

2.0 link is interesting. that 1.6 would put you in the same boat, its designed for the same hardware as the 1.71, you may be able to force a downgrade if you can figure out the pinout and data specs of the NDSAR chip. The best way is the flashcart downgrade method i posted on the same directional post as the upgrade method. unless you mean a bruteforce on the cart via USB, this is not possible due to the fact that the new software doesnt recognize the older USB chip(i assume, i havent access to a newer version2 cart to crack open and compare) but in any case without USB communication its similar to building a brick wall between the chip and the driver.

Well, I guess this is gonna be my last post on this thread. Having given up on updating my ARDS from 1.60 to 1.71 after months of trying/waiting, I have just gotten home from my 4-ish hour walk (I could have driven, but didn't want to use the gas; plus I've needed a good walk for quite a while) and gotten a brand spankin' new ARDSi. Tested the Berriesx900 code for my Japanese Black version, and it works! I didn't even have to do any update on it! >_< I am SO happy! I can finally use the Cloning code! Ironic... $20 for almost no other code than to clone. -_-; Sounds like quite the waste now... -_-; Oh well. IT WORKS! Still, I'm gonna keep the ARDS, since it still works fine otherwise.

Cephyros, thanks for all the help and work you've given! I hope you do find the answer! Good luck! ^_^

I haven't used my DS in years, I started using it again to play pokemon white. I thought about using my action replay and experienced the not a firmware file problem. I was planing on doing the solution mentioned earlier where I change the four letters of the firmware file but I realised that I have never updated the firmware since I got it and its v1.22. Will the solution work? or will I need to do the previous updates first?

I haven't used my DS in years, I started using it again to play pokemon white. I thought about using my action replay and experienced the not a firmware file problem. I was planing on doing the solution mentioned earlier where I change the four letters of the firmware file but I realised that I have never updated the firmware since I got it and its v1.22. Will the solution work? or will I need to do the previous updates first?

I personally would update tot he latest software on the manager first, i think the 2 people having the biggest problems hay have been slightly earlier than latest.

in either case unless you have a flash cart or have the money to replace the cart (or get a flash cart) your taking a risk no matter what you do make sure al the codes you want are in it before you flash.