Hoenn: Starters Poll

Greencat

Which Starter in Hoenn did you start out with?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which Starter in Hoenn did you start out with?

• Treecko
    • Torchic
    • Mudkip

For some reason they feel that fire has to be the most powerful out of the bunch. It's quite depressing that there is such a narrow view on it. I mean yes, fire is destructive, but look how powerful the ocean is, and nature, nature is amazing. I just would like to see a more broad spectrum in the starters stats, starting by the fire starter not having ridiculous stats.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason they feel that fire has to be the most powerful out of the bunch. It's quite depressing that there is such a narrow view on it. I mean yes, fire is destructive, but look how powerful the ocean is, and nature, nature is amazing. I just would like to see a more broad spectrum in the starters stats, starting by the fire starter not having ridiculous stats.

I agree, but... it's actually the electric Pokemon that are in advantage. Fire types are quite rare and they have a TERRIBLE defensive typing. I'd be glad to see a Fire type own an Electric type, but to have it have unbelievable stats like Infernape is just annoying. I like Ninetales because of her aesthetics and modest stats... and a unique movepool to take advantage of.

I want a fast Water type with strong attack power of any kind NOW! Why is Empoleon only as fast as Swampert?

My rant about electric types explained inside this spoiler...

I started out with Mudkip. I loved Mudkip`s design, and also, his type-combo was superb.

The stats were utterly despising. The water-types were ALWAYS damn slow, having nasty stats. Why can't they just make a Water starter that HAS POWER AND SPEED?! They are incredibly slow, and will get destroyed by other Pokémon, seeing as how battles are mostly based on speed.

*Awaiting the day where the next Pokémon Game will make the starters balanced/powerful/usable (People usually exclude their starters from their teams, unless fire-type), and that the previous versions of starters will have stat changes*

I started out with Mudkip. I loved Mudkip`s design, and also, his type-combo was superb.

The stats were utterly despising. The water-types were ALWAYS damn slow, having nasty stats. Why can't they just make a Water starter that HAS POWER AND SPEED?! They are incredibly slow, and will get destroyed by other Pokémon, seeing as how battles are mostly based on speed.

I saw Mudkip with a high attack power, so I was pleased... then Blaziken comes along and usurps Swampert's power by having 120 Base ATTACK vs Swampert's 110 Base Attack! Seriously... this is all attacks against the water types... they always do that. Expect the next generation to do something similar... the fire type is always the strongest one...

I saw Mudkip with a high attack power, so I was pleased... then Blaziken comes along and usurps Swampert's power by having 120 Base ATTACK vs Swampert's 110 Base Attack! Seriously... this is all attacks against the water types... they always do that. Expect the next generation to do something similar... the fire type is always the strongest one...

I can understand why Fire-types are so damn strong, but why can't they just make powerful water and grass types? I would love to see the starters completely balanced, and make the gyms balanced so that 1 Pokémon won't annihilate them all easily <_< (Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape had incredible advantage on the Sinnoh Gyms).

I can understand why Fire-types are so **** strong, but why can't they just make powerful water and grass types? I would love to see the starters completely balanced, and make the gyms balanced so that 1 Pokémon won't annihilate them all easily <_< (Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape had incredible advantage on the Sinnoh Gyms).

Sceptile deviated from the other grass types... by being a powerful and quick one... but his main role is usually the subseeder.

However, for the water type, I seriously can't wait. Feraligatr comes close, but he is WAY TOO SLOW!

Sceptile deviated from the other grass types... by being a powerful and quick one... but his main role is usually the subseeder.

However, for the water type, I seriously can't wait. Feraligatr comes close, but he is WAY TOO SLOW!

Sceptile still ended up has more of a staller (subseeder and all). I want powerhouse starters. I can't understand why Swampert and Feraligtr ended up as physical.

Sceptile still ended up has more of a staller (subseeder and all). I want powerhouse starters. I can't understand why Swampert and Feraligtr ended up as physical.

Not to mention how Feraligatr looks more physically stronger... and yet Swampert is stronger... and Blaziken ends up owning them both with his attack stat. I guess waters were made to be bulky... but still... they made Floatzel... I want a starter like that... the fire types have been sweeping a little TOO MUCH.

Not to mention how Feraligatr looks more physically stronger... and yet Swampert is stronger... and Blaziken ends up owning them both with his attack stat. I guess waters were made to be bulky... but still... they made Floatzel... I want a starter like that... the fire types have been sweeping a little TOO MUCH.

I like your attitude =D

I agree. Although Fire-types are scarce, they are over powered. Empoleon was a satisfying starter, having a maximum of 353 for S.Atk, but seeing as how the speed makes it unusable, it is useless.

I like your attitude =D

I agree. Although Fire-types are scarce, they are over powered. Empoleon was a satisfying starter, having a maximum of 353 for S.Atk, but seeing as how the speed makes it unusable, it is useless.

I got it Agility... and don't get too wrapped up about Empoleon's base 111 special attack. Blaziken's special attack is 110... and Charizard's and Typhlosion's are 109... and Infernape's is 104... aside from Infernape they're not too far behind... and with their bigger movepool, they're probably more useful :(

I wouldn't stereotype that for all Fire types... ever heard of Magcargo and Flareon? :(

Empoleon is used to take down dragons though thanks to his resistance to Outrage and being able to Ice Beam them down.

I totally agree!!! I myself hate fire types why do they have to be so good. I battled my friend and his infernape was a level 73 higher then all my pokemon at the moment :( and it owned my whole party. I was like O.o and O.o and O.o I was frustrated, appalled, and worried all at the same time. Frustrated that I dont have an infernape, appalled that he did it so easily, worried because I think it might always be that way.

Waters are always slow, except floatzel who is ok, I'm so frustrated. However, the final evoution of treeko looks so cool. Swampert is hideous. I like cuteness and I'm not letting sandshrew evolve ever! So cute. The cutest starters by far are charmander, squirtle, and bulbasaur. I mean they only get ugly when they evolve. Why cant they stay cute?

I totally agree!!! I myself hate fire types why do they have to be so good. I battled my friend and his infernape was a level 73 higher then all my pokemon at the moment :( and it owned my whole party. I was like O.o and O.o and O.o I was frustrated, appalled, and worried all at the same time. Frustrated that I dont have an infernape, appalled that he did it so easily, worried because I think it might always be that way.

Waters are always slow, except floatzel who is ok, I'm so frustrated. However, the final evoution of treeko looks so cool. Swampert is hideous. I like cuteness and I'm not letting sandshrew evolve ever! So cute. The cutest starters by far are charmander, squirtle, and bulbasaur. I mean they only get ugly when they evolve. Why cant they stay cute?

Swampert's so not hideous! Your tastes are bizarre... you even think Drifblim is hideous! o_O

Ok, moving on... yeah, so fire is offensive by nature, so they are glass cannons. Unfortunately, Speed seems to be the most important stat in this game, so fire types tend to have the advantage for being normally faster than others. Infernape WILL destroy your team with his crazy movepool... and the fact that he learns SO MANY moves (even Nasty Plot, Swords Dance, Calm Mind and Bulk Up) makes me think they overdid him... Infernape being able to break walls is a COMPLETE understatement. Blissey? Close Combat. So you switched into a Grass type? They'll switch while you Nasty Plot... they send in a Hippowdon... Grass Knot time! Skarmory? Say hello to Flamethrower! Gyarados? Thunderpunch time! Infernape is so versatile it's not even funny... but there are ways to stop him. Try Gliscor... he almost always works... especially on physical sets. Physical sets are stopped by stuff like Hippowdon or Swampert... special sets by Blissey (as long as she avoids Focus Blasts) and mixed sets get destroyed by Tentacruel or Vaporeon (they're most likely to switch though). Bottom line is... don't get caught unprepared!

As for evolution and all... they shouldn't stay cute... cute is for their little form. They should look tough or cool when they're final form. Apparently, that Lass in Route 8 agrees with you about that... it's okay to not evolve stuff in Mystery Dungeon, but in these games... evolution is almost necessary for most if not all Pokemon (microevolution... although Remoraid becomes an octopus!).

Floatzel is tied with Starmie as the fastest water Pokemon. For some bizarre reason, Floatzel has Swift Swim as his ability... so if you're making a rain team, minimal speed investment still works so you'll outspeed stuff later anyways.

You don't think Dragonite is cute? What about Gastrodon? Some final forms are somewhat cute... what about Muk? Isn't it the cutest thing you've ever seen? Oh, and don't forget Hippowdon. That thing is sooo cute, right? Pinsir is soooooo adorable... Exploud is so cuddly and pretty... and Golbat is the cutest thing ever! :)

Edited by wraith89

Correct me if I'm wrong, but people say they can sweep Ruby/Sapphire's E4 with just Blaziken... is that possible? I've done it with Swampert on a One Pokemon only run, but I'm not sure about Blaziken or Sceptile.

Hmm, its possible, i can try it if you want. (on emerald)

My first pokemon game was Ruby. I picked torchic by mistake and played through the entire game with it almost alone. I soloed the elite four with all my ethers and elixirs & blaziken at level 71. Not only that but I knocked out Groudon.

Second playthrough was much better, and I very much enjoy blaziken. Not many other fire options anyway. I did my true solo playthrough with mudkip, which was actually pretty fun, but I'd go with blaziken any day.

Another fire winner. I wish one time they would make the grass starter insanely powerful.

Enough on the rant though. Blaziken is a good starter. I don't like fighting being mixed with fire though.

I always thought Blaziken was overrated... but now I know I was grossly wrong. Now it's Infernape... and I'd take the fighting chicken over the grossly OP monkey anytime.

Grass types really weren't meant to be powerful, but Sceptile is deviant enough from the others, although most people like the Subseed set the most. But Sceptile is the "dragon" starter of Hoenn... and he's powerful if you use the powerhouse set. He's the fastest starter so far too.

Well, I choose mudkip, first: I don't like grass types, second: torchic is cute but blaziken just ... i dunno i didn't like it's design so i went for mudkip for it's dual type water ground

and also... i liek mudkipz

• 2 weeks later...

Every time I play, I switch it around. Before I started over on Emerald just a minute ago, I had picked Treecko, and I was stuck at the third gym. Plus, I tend to pick a pokemon to go with the game. Ruby, I picked Torchick. Sapphire, I picked Mudkip. Emerald, I picked Treecko. But now, I have Torchick on Emerald.

I despise Hoenn. I hated all three starters and almost every Hoenn Pokémon. Hoenn was nowhere near as good as Kanto and Johto, and Sinnoh was just purely awesome. Despite the fact I hate it, I chose Mudkip. Its looks are terrible, as well as its evolutions, but with the combination of ground and water, how can I resist?