Found 2 YOSHIRB Mew

Hey-

I don't really know much about all this, I just made an account after googling around for info. But I remember years ago people wanted to catalogue the original event Mews on Reddit. I knew I had one, but apparently I have two. (Also yeah, it took me years to finally go through all my stuff and find the cart.)

From what I can remember they were both collected at a Toys R Us in Paramus, NJ. Both are YOSHIRB and on the same Pokemon Yellow cart. I vaguely recall the lady at the register calling someone to bring out the distribution console, and somehow I was able to convince her to give me two. (Or was there some other requirement to get them? It's all pretty foggy at this point. We're old.)

Anyhow, I don't know if this is even important these days, I'd imagine it isn't. But I'll attach pictures since it's still pretty cool. From what I can tell I never actually played the game - I only have 3 Pokemon. That's it. The Pokedex only shows 2 or 3 more, which I'm assuming had to be used for the trade, since they're not on my character and the boxes are completely empty. It's just these 3 guys.

My Pokemon Red cart was pretty empty too. I guess I only actually played Blue!

I have 35926 and 35927 for what it's worth.

tmp-1704586002614_copy.jpg

tmp-1704586002643_copy.jpg

tmp-1704586002662_copy.jpg

tmp-1704586002691_copy.jpg

tmp-1704586002721_copy.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LizardMilk said:

From what I can remember they were both collected at a Toys R Us in Paramus, NJ

Hey nice! That was my local Toys R Us as well until I moved out of the area in March last year, I lived in Bergenfield. That's the one that used to be on Route 4, I've been there for a few Pokemon distributions myself in gen 4. Unfortunately I didn't play the gen 1 mainline games myself, I was a spinoff kid until gen 3. But this is still very cool! Are you able to back up the save files to at least preserve them before the battery dies? I'm not sure if you would need to upload them, but at least having them preserved for yourself before the battery dies is great. I don't have any gen 1 save file dumpers myself but if I still lived in Bergenfield I would have helped you get the hardware and dump the save files.

13 minutes ago, ICanSnake said:

Hey nice! That was my local Toys R Us as well until I moved out of the area in March last year, I lived in Bergenfield. That's the one that used to be on Route 4, I've been there for a few Pokemon distributions myself in gen 4. Unfortunately I didn't play the gen 1 mainline games myself, I was a spinoff kid until gen 3. But this is still very cool! Are you able to back up the save files to at least preserve them before the battery dies? I'm not sure if you would need to upload them, but at least having them preserved for yourself before the battery dies is great. I don't have any gen 1 save file dumpers myself but if I still lived in Bergenfield I would have helped you get the hardware and dump the save files.

That's cool! I moved out last year as well - In PA now. Can't say I like it here, but it's definitely affordable compared to NJ. I will say NJ really spoils you with the convenience of over-development. Everything feels so spread out here.

But yep, the one on route 4. That was my TRU for most of my childhood as well.

I have a Mega Memory cart somewhere, I just need to find it. All my stuff is still in boxes - I definitely neglected unpacking. Plus I've kept almost all my games and stuff since I was young so there's a lot to go through. Hopefully I find it soon so I can do a backup, but if I could somehow dump it on to PC that would be better. Not sure if there's any affordable devices these days, though.

I'm mostly shocked how unplayed the cart was. I'd like to preserve it for that reason alone.

15 hours ago, LizardMilk said:

but if I could somehow dump it on to PC that would be better

There are a couple of ways you could back up those Mews, some devices are better than others, but there are a couple that are generally recommended for this. (From best to worst, even though they're all good imo).

You could use a Joey Jr. from BennVenn:
https://bennvenn.myshopify.com/products/usb-gb-c-cart-dumper-the-joey-jr (Australia shipping)
https://highscoretech.myshopify.com/products/bennvenn-joey-jr-gameboy-gb-c-a-cartridge-flasher (United States shipping)

A GBxCart RW:
https://www.retromodding.com/search?q=gbxcart (United States shipping)
https://shop.insidegadgets.com/product/gbxcart-rw/ (Australia shipping)

A GBOperator:
https://www.epilogue.co/product/gb-operator (United States shipping)

They're not the cheapest options, but offer a much simpler experience than others. But from what I'm looking up online the Mega Memory could have some issues with Pokemon games specifically so I wouldn't risk it with that. The listed options will dump it quite fast to a PC via USB.

Edited by RodrigoTR
Fixing links.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, RodrigoTR said:

It would be amazing to add both to the collection, it's preserving history, and that's awesome.

Going to order a Joey jr or GBxCart tonight! Not really sure which one is better, they seem about equal. I'm on a Windows PC so compatibility shouldn't be an issue with either.

10 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

@LizardMilk That’s a great find! How I wish I had those during my time. Curious why you didn’t use them. Is it cause you never played the game 😅

Knowing me and my thought process... I was probably like, "Well, let me put them on the new Pokemon Yellow cart I got, since it's new!" And then... I just continued to play my Pokemon Blue cart and never bothered with yellow. 😅 My Blue cart is the only one where I finished the game. On my Red cart it looks like I got most my 'mon up to around level 25-30 and then went back to blue. But yeah, I just never played Yellow I guess.

39 minutes ago, LizardMilk said:

Going to order a Joey jr or GBxCart tonight! Not really sure which one is better, they seem about equal. I'm on a Windows PC so compatibility shouldn't be an issue with either.

Knowing me and my thought process... I was probably like, "Well, let me put them on the new Pokemon Yellow cart I got, since it's new!" And then... I just continued to play my Pokemon Blue cart and never bothered with yellow. 😅 My Blue cart is the only one where I finished the game. On my Red cart it looks like I got most my 'mon up to around level 25-30 and then went back to blue. But yeah, I just never played Yellow I guess.

better buy this you can play, extract the ROM and .sav on PC

Epiloge GB.png

I advise against the GB Operator as the better option, and between the Joey Jr. and GBxCart the Joey Jr. is generally agreed to be better.

4 hours ago, ERNESTO JG said:

better buy this you can play, extract the ROM and .sav on PC

With both Joey Jr. and GBxCart you can extract the save file, that's what we're doing with both of them from the start, and the GB Operator packs an outdated version of mGBA really, it doesn't offer much over the others and as a drawback it tends to have a longer shipping time and it's not open-source firmware wise.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, RodrigoTR said:

I advise against the GB Operator as the better option, and between the Joey Jr. and GBxCart the Joey Jr. is generally agreed to be better.

With both Joey Jr. and GBxCart you can extract the save file, that's what we're doing with both of them from the start, and the GB Operator packs an outdated version of mGBA really, it doesn't offer much over the others and as a drawback it tends to have a longer shipping time and it's not open-source firmware wise.

Yeah, I already ruled out the GB Operator. I've basically taken a crash course on everything in the past day. 😂

Leaning towards the Joey, the only issue is that I either order it direct from BennVenn, or wait for HighScoreTech to restock. Not really sure which would be the faster option. HighScoreTech claims to be restocking on the 20th, whereas BennVenn would presumably ship now, but Australia shipping.

Edited by LizardMilk

15 hours ago, RodrigoTR said:

Both options for the Joey Jr. are good, but the HighScoreTech restock should, I think, ship faster just because it's already within borders for you. Also no tax on top of shipping.

Well it's ordered! Hopefully will be here soon enough.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, RodrigoTR said:

Any updates on the shipping of the dumper?

Good timing - It actually arrived this afternoon!

The .sav is backed up and I tested it to make sure it wasn't corrupt or anything.

Is there anywhere specific I should upload it, or? I'm not really sure where the best place to put it is. But I backed it up in multiple places so it's safe.