A bug in pkhex legality check

Aldragon

Hi, I'm hoping that this is the correct section to write this. 

I noticed a bug in the legality check in pkhex: if you take a Pokémon caught by a Japanese (for example) and you just change the language of the Pokémon (for example in English), pkhex says it is legal, but it shouldn't be legal if you don't change the name of the original trainer, because it's impossible to have a name written in Japanese if the chosen language is English. 

Thank you for the attention :)

Edited by Aldragon

1 hour ago, Aldragon said:

Hi, I'm hoping that this is the correct section to write this. 

I noticed a bug in the legality check in pkhex: if you take a Pokémon caught by a Japanese (for example) and you just change the language of the Pokémon (for example in English), pkhex says it is legal, but it shouldn't be legal if you don't change the name of the A/O, because it's impossible to have a name written in Japanese if the chosen language is English. 

Thank you for the attention :)

Well technically for some instances its possible.
Catch Pikachu in English save, don't nickname it, trade it to Japanese save, evolve it.
You'll have a Raichu with a Japanese nickname, but English language tag.

Pretty sure PKHeX has what you mentioned covered, for non-evolved scenarios:
Capture.PNG

can you confirm the scenario you're experiencing? (example, non-evolved not flagged, or is it something else..)

Yesterday I changed the origin of a Xurkitree (not an evolved Pokémon) from Japanese to Italian and it was flagged as legal, but the A/O was written in Japanese (I noticed it in game). 

EDIT: Well, the situation was a little different from what you have written: I changed the origin of Xurkitree in Italian, and his name was "Xurkitree" as expected, but the A/O was in Japanese, and it's impossible. It's not possible even for evolved Pokémon (the country origin must match with the way the A/O is written) 

Edit2: I'm sorry for my bad English, I think it's not A/O in English xD 

I meant, the original trainer (O/T maybe?) 

Edited by Aldragon

12 minutes ago, Aldragon said:

Yesterday I changed the origin of a Xurkitree (not an evolved Pokémon) from Japanese to Italian and it was flagged as legal, but the A/O was written in Japanese (I noticed it in game). 

EDIT: Well, the situation was a little different from what you have written: I changed the origin of Xurkitree in Italian, and his name was "Xurkitree" as expected, but the A/O was in Japanese, and it's impossible. It's not possible even for evolved Pokémon (the country origin must match with the way the A/O is written) 

Edit2: I'm sorry for my bad English, I think it's not A/O in English xD 

I meant, the original trainer (O/T maybe?) 

After you make the change, did you double click the flag, to ensure that it updated?

edit:
I get what you're saying.
You're saying it's not possible to have lets say proper English Name tied with Proper Japanese OT.

Basically it sounds like there needs to be a character whitelist, for acceptable OTs names VS language of Pokemon..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

yup. Character whitelist of some sort needs to be implemented

OT names have no bearing on battles so this is not something im interested in doing; each game & language has separate OT character tables so it'd be a pretty extensive task.

Moving to PKM legality as this is not a problem with PKHeX (nonfeature).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kaphotics said:

OT names have no bearing on battles so this is not something im interested in doing; each game & language has separate OT character tables so it'd be a pretty extensive task.

Moving to PKM legality as this is not a problem with PKHeX (nonfeature).

Well, if somebody doesn't notice this, he could be banned from a Tournament ^^'

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Aldragon said:

Well, if somebody doesn't notice this, he could be banned from a Tournament ^^'

Per PKHeX's readme:

We do not support or condone cheating at the expense of others. Do not use significantly hacked Pokémon in battle or in trades with those who are unaware hacked Pokémon are in use.

If you break the tournaments rules and get caught, it's on you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaphotics said:

Per PKHeX's readme:

We do not support or condone cheating at the expense of others. Do not use significantly hacked Pokémon in battle or in trades with those who are unaware hacked Pokémon are in use.

If you break the tournaments rules and get caught, it's on you.

Well, I was just saying that it's not totally separate from battles in general, for that reason ^^'

Anyway, I understand that it's a lot of work, so thank you anyway for the answer!