XY demo and Pokemon Game Show impressions

Guested

I'm on my iPod now, but here are my brief impressions of today's Pokemon Game Show and the XY demo.

Trainer gender was random, mine was female, "Y"

Starter Pokemon was random but everyone got Ninfia and The lizard electric Pokemon.

Movement was analog with circle bad, 8 way diagonal, I think.

Had roller skates or roller blades. Couldn't use them in grass.

Trainer opponents had 3D models, not static illustrations.

Overworld was NOT in 3D. I hope this is just because the demo was not complete.

3D in battle looked good.

Had a time limit to get across the area and meet the prof. Battled a wil Pikachu etc.

Prof gives you Mewtwo to unlock its power. Mega Evolution is done by a button on your move selection screen. You can also choose a move for that turn.

Used Mega Mewtwo to battle Prof's Crobat, Chandelure, and Dragonite. End of demo.

Lines for event Pokemon were two hours each. The TCG, game battle activities were two hours as well. Tretta was super popular. I had to leave before the main stage events started.

I can answer questions and elaborate more when I get home.

Also photos.

I'm home now, so here's more on the "impressions" side.

I liked the 3D in the battle sequences. The HP/status info stuck to the foreground and made it seem like it wasn't obstructing the view much. There was a good level of depth in the battle area, so it looked pretty good.

I'm really hoping the overworld areas are in 3D in the final version of the game.

Overall, the graphical presentation of the game is looking pretty good. That alone made me pretty excited for this next pair of games.

I'll upload some of my photos tomorrow, after I get some sleep.

That photo of the event site that Kaphotics linked to was actually the waiting area to get in. They had a very elaborate queuing system in the next hall of the convention center.

Here are my photos from the event (not really of the demo because they told me it was prohibited).

I would have taken more of the posters and videos and such, but it was just SO crowded it was tough to find a good opportunity or a good shot.

Warning: some pictures might be gigantic.

pgs1.JPG

pgs2.JPG

pgs3.JPG

pgs4.JPG

pgs5.JPG

pgs6.JPG

pgs7.JPG

pgs8.JPG

pgs9.JPG

pgs10.JPG

pgs11.JPG

pgs12.JPG

pgs13.JPG

pgs14.jpg

pgs15.jpg

pgs16.jpg

imgur album link for easier, non-gigantic viewing

Well darn, so it's just like a normal Pokémon game but with models instead of sprites? Is it like that for the battles too or just the overworld?

Oh, and I think someone got a Shiny Sylveon - it looks pretty cool, it's a nice blue colour.

For him though that must have been one of the worst moments of his life... I mean damn, finding a shiny at a demo? Of such a popular Pokémon?

It actually has more to do with logistics.

Japan could do one big event like this, and roughly a third of the country (geographically speaking... and MORE, population density-wise) could come to this event. It's also the same for European events (this demo will be in Germany at Pokemon Day).

In the US, even people in the same state as an event like this might have trouble getting to the location.