Flaming Other Pokémon Fansites

fenzo666

This sort of statement is part of the problem. By saying that, you are inferring that my site does not utilise reliable sources, which we most certainly do, that is how my site became the most popular one. If I didn't have reliable sources and reliable information, people would not go to my site.

Yes there may be a couple of errors here and there, but if you point them out, I'll fix it. Just moaning that there are errors is not what can be called as helpful.

They may seem minor errors to you, but you aren't the person who spent days trying to find a Munchlax in a honey tree, making me believe I had a 1% chance too. One error is to many. If you want the respect of most of these members, try making sure you have right information before putting on your site, because a minor error on your site can have a drastic affect on what a person wastes their time doing. I don't believe you are the real Serebii anyway.

This sort of statement is part of the problem. By saying that, you are inferring that my site does not utilise reliable sources, which we most certainly do, that is how my site became the most popular one. If I didn't have reliable sources and reliable information, people would not go to my site.

Yes there may be a couple of errors here and there, but if you point them out, I'll fix it. Just moaning that there are errors is not what can be called as helpful.

Well, Flootenkerp is stating a fact, i.e., its not slander if its true. As much as you think your sources are reliable, not all of them are.

I know you probably don't go to your debate forum much. But if you were to put this up there, your argument is full of fallacies.

Whether your new information is reliable has nothing to do with whether your site is popular. Maybe you had only reliable sources at some point and that made it get popular. You will continue to be popular until another site comes with more reliable information and more reliable sources and people start noticing that. By the time DP came out your site was already popular. People take what you say on faith. I would like to point at this post from pojo: http://www.pojo.biz/board/showpost.php?p=11640160&postcount=5

People assume you have reliable information from reliable sources and by putting blatantly false information you are doing a disservice to the community. Its much better to say "At this time we don't know how _____ works".

Also the fix you made does not do jutice to the complexity of honey tree pokemon, but at least it does not have false information now, which is the important thing. Better to have too little information, instead of alot of false information.

Now, you should take what Flootenkerp is saying as a wake up call. Not as some sort of insult. He did not say it in an insulting manner (I have seen many statements by him and trust me he put this very nicely). If someone says that not all your sources are reliable, then you have to think about who are your sources and figure out how to address the issue, so it does not continue happening. Of course, you have to ask yourself, who is saying that as well and what is their reason. But when you have a reliable source and people from his site saying that you have some unreliable sources, you should take a hint. (I consider myself a reliable source to Serebii.net :))

Don't just take it on faith that your sources are reliable. Although I can see where that can get hard to do, because there is some information which you would have a very hard time verifying. In particular verifying the munchlax honey tree mechanics can be a bit difficult for someone who does not have the technical skill that me an Sabresite have. But as the owner of a site that claims to have correct information its up to you to address the issue. It can be as simple as not taking any more information from the person who told you that it was 1% at each tree. Or maybe your solution can be more complicated I don't know.

Thank you SCV. Serebii, the only reason I come here is because they don't lie to us. They tell us good information, and when they have had wrong information, they admit it. You're priority is to be popular, while this site is to give us legal events and good information. Maybe you should not only fix the errors you currently have, but should make sure to prevent similar errors in the future. And really, we don't have to point out the errors. Asking us to tell you the errors implies you don't test out or make sure of anything so you make sure its correct. If you really payed attention to what you put on the site, and if it really mattered to you, you wouldn't need us to point out the flaws. Just improve your site, and for the love of God fix that Pichu translation. It's jagged, not notched. There, I pointed out an error. Go fix the rest.

If I did do this before the rule was established, would I get an infraction? After all, I wouldn't have known that I couldn't.

Common Sense, anyone?

The only errors I can think of are outdated infromation for some of the video games (MD Explorers of the Sky hasn't been released yet aquording to your site), and the dis-ability to right-click and select with the cursor, which I found a way around, and I can even put it up for download!

They may seem minor errors to you, but you aren't the person who spent days trying to find a Munchlax in a honey tree, making me believe I had a 1% chance too. One error is to many. If you want the respect of most of these members, try making sure you have right information before putting on your site, because a minor error on your site can have a drastic affect on what a person wastes their time doing. I don't believe you are the real Serebii anyway.

Yes there was an error. However, instead of letting me know there was an error, you just sat here and bitched about it. That isn't helpful in any sense of the word. Also, as much as you'd like to think one error is too many, everywhere has errors. Get over it.

Well, Flootenkerp is stating a fact, i.e., its not slander if its true. As much as you think your sources are reliable, not all of them are.

No SCV, all my sources ARE reliable

Whether your new information is reliable has nothing to do with whether your site is popular. Maybe you had only reliable sources at some point and that made it get popular. You will continue to be popular until another site comes with more reliable information and more reliable sources and people start noticing that. By the time DP came out your site was already popular. People take what you say on faith. I would like to point at this post from pojo: http://www.pojo.biz/board/showpost.php?p=11640160&postcount=5

Actually, the fact I have reliable sources IS why my site's popular. As I said, if I didn't, people would not give my site a second look. Yes there was an error, but as I said before, just saying "Oh there's an error" and pointlessly pointing and insulting because of it is not helpful by any sense of the word. I needed to be told there was an error, I'm not omnipresent or omnipotent afterall

People assume you have reliable information from reliable sources and by putting blatantly false information you are doing a disservice to the community. Its much better to say "At this time we don't know how _____ works".

It wasn't "blatantly" false anyway. It was false yes but it wasn't blatant, hence how it took 3 years for people to notice

Now, you should take what Flootenkerp is saying as a wake up call. Not as some sort of insult. He did not say it in an insulting manner (I have seen many statements by him and trust me he put this very nicely). If someone says that not all your sources are reliable, then you have to think about who are your sources and figure out how to address the issue, so it does not continue happening. Of course, you have to ask yourself, who is saying that as well and what is their reason. But when you have a reliable source and people from his site saying that you have some unreliable sources, you should take a hint. (I consider myself a reliable source to Serebii.net :))

That's the thing, ALL my sources ARE reliable. Flootenkerp's way of saying it was offensive and downright derogatory. This is not a wake up call by any sense of the term. One error does not equate to sources being unreliable or anything like that. Now, if half my site was wrong then yes, you'd have a point. That however, is not true and thus his statement was inaccurate and derogatory

Don't just take it on faith that your sources are reliable.

I don't. I know what I am doing in regards to this. I have 10 years of experience and I don't just get information from sources. Sure the Honey Tree stuff was a slipup but it's not exactly major and it is by no means a repeat occurance

Thank you SCV. Serebii, the only reason I come here is because they don't lie to us. They tell us good information, and when they have had wrong information, they admit it. You're priority is to be popular, while this site is to give us legal events and good information. Maybe you should not only fix the errors you currently have, but should make sure to prevent similar errors in the future. And really, we don't have to point out the errors. Asking us to tell you the errors implies you don't test out or make sure of anything so you make sure its correct. If you really payed attention to what you put on the site, and if it really mattered to you, you wouldn't need us to point out the flaws. Just improve your site, and for the love of God fix that Pichu translation. It's jagged, not notched. There, I pointed out an error. Go fix the rest.

I do not lie on my site. There may be a couple of slip ups from time to time or a database conflict causing an entry to not appear, but I DO NOT LIE.

No, you do not have to point out the errors, but it's common courtesy to. Lets say for example you made a site and there is a slight error in it. Would you rather people just saw an error and said "There's an error and I'm not going to tell you but will forever insult your site because of it" or would you rather they tell you the error. So yes, with that in mind, I would prefer people tell me there's an error.

As said, even the most devout checker cannot grab every single error. Nobody is perfect and sometimes things happen, even unintentional things such as database indexing issues which are not exactly my fault. It does matter to me, but I cannot check every single page of a 10 GigaByte website and you couldn't either. I check everything I put up, but humans make errors, sometimes things slip through and that cannot be helped. I will be sure to point back to this day when PP inadvertantly posts an error.

Oh, and Notched Ear Pichu is a viable translation of ギザみみピチュー which translated to Gizamimi Pichu. Both Notched and Jagged are viable and accurate and like many Japanese translations, there is rarely one exact translation. My translation of it was from the long serving Japanese translator of Serebii.net, Coronis. Other translators on various sites including Bulbapedia also came to this conclusion and they wouldn't just copy my stuff without checking it.

The only errors I can think of are outdated infromation for some of the video games (MD Explorers of the Sky hasn't been released yet aquording to your site), and the dis-ability to right-click and select with the cursor, which I found a way around, and I can even put it up for download!

Those things are minor "errors" (although as they do not actually give information which is inaccurate) and are on my to-do list. However, newer things keep bumping my to-do list. Rest assured, those minor oversights shall be sorted. As for the disability to right click, thats intentional.

I really don't think this is the place to debate right and wrong information. As far as I know, the Debate Forum is there for a reason. :] (Not to sound like a snob or anything, I'm just following what was asked by Spotty)

But there's something called respect, as you have pointed out. It's pretty hard to not bash a community with little respect for it.

Is that not what I've been saying all along, Wraith? That we should have respect, not only towards our members but also to other communities in the pokemon fan world?

Yes there was an error. However, instead of letting me know there was an error, you just sat here and bitched about it. That isn't helpful in any sense of the word. Also, as much as you'd like to think one error is too many, everywhere has errors. Get over it.

Very mature. Anyways, an error is one thing, but this was no error. You actually thought that Munchlax was 1% for any game. Did you have any reliable source? Get your facts straight or you mislead someone and end up "bitching" in someone else's site, because I'm sure this site does. You didn't even have the decency to announce it. When you change something on the site, ANNOUNCE IT. If I read that page only once and never read it again because I already understood it the first time, I would have no Idea I was doing something wrong, so maybe if you update on corrections, people wouldn't be accusing you of giving wrong information.

No SCV, all my sources ARE reliable

Are you being serious right now...

That's the thing, ALL my sources ARE reliable. Flootenkerp's way of saying it was offensive and downright derogatory. This is not a wake up call by any sense of the term. One error does not equate to sources being unreliable or anything like that. Now, if half my site was wrong then yes, you'd have a point. That however, is not true and thus his statement was inaccurate and derogatory

Hm, so you thoroughly check all of your information before announcing it? If you don't this is a wake up call, and I'm sure you don't check anything. You will believe anything everyone tells you.

I don't. I know what I am doing in regards to this. I have 10 years of experience and I don't just get information from sources. Sure the Honey Tree stuff was a slipup but it's not exactly major and it is by no means a repeat occurance

I wasted days trying to get a Munchlax with your information. Days on end. You wasted my time. To you it was a slip up, to me it was a waste of life. Get your facts straight, don't ever mislead your members again, because they look up to you and trust your information. Thoroughly check your information. That's all you have to do.

No, you do not have to point out the errors, but it's common courtesy to. Lets say for example you made a site and there is a slight error in it. Would you rather people just saw an error and said "There's an error and I'm not going to tell you but will forever insult your site because of it" or would you rather they tell you the error. So yes, with that in mind, I would prefer people tell me there's an error.

Oh, and Notched Ear Pichu is a viable translation of ギザみみピチュー which translated to Gizamimi Pichu. Both Notched and Jagged are viable and accurate and like many Japanese translations, there is rarely one exact translation. My translation of it was from the long serving Japanese translator of Serebii.net, Coronis. Other translators on various sites including Bulbapedia also came to this conclusion and they wouldn't just copy my stuff without checking it.

Unless you are in Japan like Guested is and are a native to the language, then I suggest you use his translation. Look at the image and then tell me which would be a better translation.

rtnivs.jpg