I need some help in making a difficulty patch...

Clear

After seeing many Pokemon ROM hacks, and not liking most of them. I have decided to make my own, suiting my own desires; that in which I like to call "Absurd level of difficulty that is absolutely not for the faint of heart"

As a rule, I dislike breaking the game by editing bases stats and adding moves that the player can have access to. Instead, I like to give advantages to the AI to make up for their lack of perception of danger, one in which is giving AI moves that they cannot learn normally (most of the time would be because that I cannot give a specific type of Hidden Power to the AI, ie. Chandelure with Aura Sphere). While the AI may have to edge, I do not wish for it to be impossible, since that will be unplayable and it will defeat the purpose.

I want it to challenge the player's resource management, as well as knowledge of moves when paired with certainly abilities (since legal move combos are totally out of the window). In addition, almost every forced trainer battle will be custom tailored to a theme, unlike most hacks, I want most of the trainers to have diverse type coverage, as that is is very true difficulty lies. Think back to Stadium 2, where most trainers in Round 2 have a specific strategy, and that's what I am aiming for.

Gym Leaders, and Elite Fours, as well, will not just have one type of Pokemon (I mean what is the difficulty in filling Burgh's team with 6 Bug Pokemon that can be Stone Edged?) Instead, each leader will have some sort of center piece Pokemon that the team is build from, covering their weaknesses from top to bottom, as utilizing moves such as U-turn and Volt Switch to make sure the match is not an easy one.

There is a few things I like to hack that is beyond hacking trainers, and I would appreciate it if you could lend your expertise.

- Forcing Battle Style to set

Getting a free switch upon fainting a Pokemon offers tremendous advantages, not to mention you are told what Pokemon are being sent out! If linked battles are forced to use set function, I want the main game to have the same as well. This is only important if I ever decide to distribute this, but I want to know if this can be done.

- Leader rematches, and EV trainers.

The level curve of this game will be unforgiving, I want to offer level up opportunities for the player, as well as certain EV trainers that can be challenged again and again in order to perfect the EVs. Most end game bosses, and post-game bosses will require planning and good EV Spreads. If someone can tell me how it is done, please let me know.

- EV reduction berries

Linked with above, I need a way to distribute these as it is not possible to obtain them through normal gameplay.

- 1st N Battle?

Little question, but is it possible to proceed with the plot if you lose the 1st battle with N in the very beginning of the game?

- Pairing up with Cheren in Wellspring Cave:

Is it possible to change Chren's party when is allied with you, for the sake of consistency?

I will appreciate any thoughtful input, thank you.

Edited by Clear

• 2 weeks later...

Most of this, I cannot help you with, but the EV reduction berries can be given out by NPCs that give out items if you edit which item they give out in the hex. As for changing Cheren's team in Wellspring cave, you can ask Drayano, because he did it. I don't know how to do it, but it's probably something stupidly simple that I'm completely missing.

I love changing the Battle Style to Set. Makes everything harder and more enjoyable.

That's an option stored in the save file itself, not the ROM. You'd have to find the routine that checks the flag for set/shift, and change it to always return set (ie no switch). Then you have to find that routine in the ROM itself and change it. A huge pain in the ass.

Nobody knows how to script events extensively, so rebattling things is out of the question for now. If only those drones at PokeCommunity would forget about that 7 year old game and help advance the newest gen for enjoyability.

Change the Marts to sell them is your best option. Sell different ones in different towns for whatever price.

See scripting argument above

@drayano

battle difficulty => difficulty value for the trainer

Most of this, I cannot help you with, but the EV reduction berries can be given out by NPCs that give out items if you edit which item they give out in the hex. As for changing Cheren's team in Wellspring cave, you can ask Drayano, because he did it. I don't know how to do it, but it's probably something stupidly simple that I'm completely missing.

It really is; the tag battles use the same roster as the Cheren fights right before them, so you don't even need to put in the team twice or anything. Just change the Route 3/5 ones and you're set.

@drayano

battle difficulty => difficulty value for the trainer

Eh ?_?