JKSM is a 3DS homebrew application that can backup and restore save files for 3DS cartridges, and 3DS eShop titles (including GB and GBC virtual console). This tutorial will walk you through its installation and usage.
In order to use JKSM, you will first need access to CFW or Homebrew. A comprehensive guide on how to set up CFW can be found here. If you do not have what you need, you can still use JKSM with homebrew access
The latest version of JKSM can be downloaded from here.
CFW is the preferred way to use JKSM. If you are using homebrew instead, skip to "Using Homebrew" below.
1. After installing JKSM with your favorite CIA installer, open JKSM on your 3DS and click on "Titles".
2. Scroll down to and click on your desired game. You may need to click "Reload Tiles" on the previous Screen if you don't see your desired title listed.
3. Click on "Save Data Options" then click on "Export Save". Click on "Import Save" instead if you are trying to restore your edited save file back to your VC Game.
4. Click "New" and create a new folder to put your save file in.
5. If the backup has completed you will see a new save with the name you chose under your desired game.
6. Exit JKSM, Power off your 3DS and put your SD card from your 3DS into your computer (if you use an FTP client on 3DS you can alternatively launch it instead). Then navigate to (JKSV/Saves/"your desired game"/"your folder name") Inside should be your save file.
7. MAKE A BACKUP OF THIS FILE BEFORE USING OR EDITING IT WITH ANY SAVE EDITORS.
The steps for using homebrew are a little different than for CFW:
- Download JKSM.zip and copy the 3ds folder to the root of your 3DS's SD Card.
- Open the homebrew menu using your favorite homebrew entrypoint.
- Choose JK's Save Manager, and target the game you wish to manage.
Resume from step 3 of "Using CFW" above.
EXTRA. Things to take note:
1. Your file in the folder MUST be named main
2. There cannot be other files in the same folder your import from (such as main.bak)
3. If you don't see any titles/games, from the main menu of JKSM, select Refresh Titles/Refresh Games/Reload Titles (differs based on JKSM version, but same function)
EDIT 2: If your JKSM looks like this, and you're confused
In case you're confused with how to make a backup or restore:
If you hover over New on top screen, and press the A button, you'll be making a backup.
If you hover over other named file on the top screen, and press the Y button, you'll be restoring the save into the game.