The Movie Topic - What you Like or Hate, What to See or Avoid.

Bassman

The title is pretty much self explanatory. Do you have any favourite movies? Have you sat through a movie you really hated (it can happen) when you were out with friends and they actually liked it. Have you seen a movie you would recommend to someone else? Any moves that definitely should be avoided?

I am a bit of a Rachael Leigh Cook fan and I am not sure how many times I have seen "Josie and the Pussycats" (it is probably well into double figures). It is a fairly ordinary movie I suppose but I like it. I would not necessarily recommend it to someone else in the normal run of things.

I think one of my favourite movies would be Castle in the Sky. A Studio Ghibli movie. I prefer the English language track on the Japanese DVD though, rather than the "big name" one on the American/UK DVD. I first saw this movie on TV in the UK and eventually was able to get the Japanese DVD release.

Anyone else want to contribute?

just checked out the web sites about that movie. Will probably check it out when it come to DVD/Blu Ray. Not sure it is even in the cinema here. I see the Rotten Tomatoes site did not particularly like it.

Another of my favourite movies would have to be "Leon: The Professional". The extended cut being the best version. The movie is basically about a hitman with a heart and stars Jean Reno as the hitman, Natalie Portman in her film debut and Gary Oldman. The film is violent, by nature of the subject matter but has some gentler moments.

Another movie that I liked was Clash of the Titans and movie is totally epic.

I am positive that Pocket Monsters Diamond & Pearl: Genei no Hasha (The Phantom Champion Zoroark) will come to the US later this year around Fall 2010 or early next year around Spring 2011.

The Last Airbender was one of the greatest movie that I saw and I have this movie on Bootleg. It was amazing on how they did the Flying Bisen. One of my Art Teachers at my old High School work on the Flying Bisen and Momo. However, Ang was awesome when he was in his Avatar Stage. All the Cast Members from the Anime was in this movie too. If I were to rate this movie, I would rate it a 10 even.

Another movie I like is "Big" with Tom Hanks. I bought the Blu-Ray with the extended version of the movie. It may have been my imagination, but the extended version looked much better than the standard version. Watching the extended version I was hard-pressed to spot which bits had been extended.

I had to import it from the US as the Blu-Ray has not been released over here (probably won't be!). Region locked, but I have a backwards compatible 80 Gb US PS3 so I can play US Region locked Blu-Rays. Someone in the UK on a Forum I frequent was selling it at a good price so I thought it would be a good reserve machine, the fact I could import US Blu-Rays safely was also a key factor.

Having that PS3 enabled me to import the last two big Disney releases "Up" and "The Princess and the Frog" (region locked being Disney) which meant I could see them on Blu-Ray pretty soon after the movies opened in the cinemas here.

I love all of the big films that most people will tell you about, really. You know, The Green Mile, Forest Gump, Pulp Fiction (my favourite film of all time), and other such.

I guess discounting those three, my top 10 faves would have to be:

The Devil's Advocate

Seven

Desperation (It's really poor, but I loved the Stephen King book, and the movie brought it to life)

Identity

Saw (all of them :P)

Silence of the Lambs/ Hannibal/ Red Dragon/ Hannibal Rising

Hard Candy

Constantine (Purely for having A Perfect Circle on the soundtrack - though the film is pretty awesome anyway)

The Shining (I just got a thing for Stephen King xD)

An extra 11th :P - Hearts in Atlantis ... yeah more Stephen King. But it is one of my favourite books of all time... and Anthony Hopkins is the man.

I tend to stay away from any film with Vin Diesel in it xD. War films tend to bore me. And most things with Tom Cruise suck.

I would LOVE the movie dudes to make a film out of two books - "A Boy's Life" and "Swan Song" by Robert McCammon. Two of the best books in history that under the right guidance would translate sooo well.

I absolutely hate the teen-pop fiction books that get put into movies. Not only do I despise the literature, but the movies are subpar anyway. Harry Potter jumps to mind straight off the bat... and we all know about Twilight xD.

I finally got to see Avatar a month or so ago when it was released onto DVD and Blu-Ray over here. I bought the Blu-Ray version and it is certainly has very good picture quality. I liked the movie as well...

I am still not totally convinced that Blu-Ray is the best quality hi-def movie medium.I have yet to see a Blu-Ray that matches the best that HD DVD could offer. I suppose it could be another VHS/Betamax situation where the slightly inferior format won.

In general though movies on Blu-Ray are not necessarily a good deal over the DVD version in terms of picture quality. A lot of my movies on Blu-Ray (and for that matter on HD DVD) are not really that much better than a DVD version would have been.

I too watched Avatar, but on Demand lol. Blu-Ray is ok for some movies, but as for me, I have HD on Demand instead of Blu-Ray.

I loved the Classical type movies like on AMC. The Original Titanic was very entertaining to watch and not to mention all the drama.

Afro Samuri was a great movie. 2012 was my favorite movie of all times. I just love End of the Worlds type movies. The Fourth Kind was just epic and it was a true story too.

I have yet to watch 2012. I do like disaster movies. I shall probably wait until it comes on Satellite. I have Satellite TV and subscribe to the movie channels so all the movies get there sooner or later after the DVD release and normally a year or so before the films get shown on TV.

With the movie channels there is no logo in the corner of the screen and there are no commercials so it is as good as watching on DVD. The second Transformers movie is on next month sometime I think, I want to see that having liked the first one. I bought the first on HD-DVD. Bought from the US so that I had it a while before the UK DVD release.

The advantage of Satellite is that they sometimes have some of the lesser known movies which can be interesting. There are 11 different movie channels so there can be a good variety of movies showing. There is one that shows the movies new to Satellite. Last week I saw Woverine.

The Fourth Kind was just epic and it was a true story too.

It was a great movie indeed :D.

Wasn't true though. I've done some research because it perked my interest somewhat... And alas, it's not a true story. If it was it would have been released via documentary - not by a movie director. I wish it was true though :/

I recently saw two movies that I had yet to see:

Skinwalkers: Ugh. What a pile of dung.

Juno: I had never seen this movie, and admittedly, I wasn't interested in it at all. But it was aired yesterday, and I gave the movie a chance, which I actually am glad I did, because, while I don't think it is the greatest movie ever as many think of it, I do believe is quite enjoyable and holds a truly valuable message. Definitely a movie I would recommend anyone to see.

My movie taste is kinda picky lol. I have a top 5 but only 3 have been selected. xP

1. Sherlock Holmes (2010)

2. Ninja Assassin

3. Nacho Libre

It's kinda a weird set of movies but i loved Robert Downey Jr's role in Sherlock Holmes. Nacho Libre made me laugh the most. While Ninja Assassin was pretty epic. and the Asian Chris Brown (Rain) was in it.

Out of my friends I'm the only one who didn't completely love Avatar. Sure the climax fighting scene made me scream YUSS! when the reinforcement came but Narnia did the same. My next movie i can't wait for is The Last Airbender. But for some reason here in New Zealand it will show in the cinemas at September so a long wait is ahead of me.

I'm a fan of horror movies and I'm also completley immune to nightmares when I watch them.Sorry,I never post down because I dont know how to, but here are my favorite horror movies: Anaconda 4 the blood orchid, Dragon Wars, Cabin Fever, King Corbra, Mega Snake, Sabor Tooth Tiger, and King Cobra VS. Komodo Dragon. I personaly recamend that movie,youll see why when you watch it.Watch Si-Fy on saturdays and it MIGHT be on.

I liked Kung Fu Hustle. A fun movie to say the least. I have it on HD-DVD.

Thats the trouble with Trailers for movies. You sometimes find they put all the good bits of the movie in them which says nothing for the other 90 or so minutes at all.

Just saw Surrogates on a Movie Channel on Digital Satellite (or at least the recording of it). It was a film I noticed when it was released, as I like SF movies, but never got around to seeing. I suppose it had parallels with Avatar. I enjoyed it (which is the main thing with any movie).

I think I have seem "King Cobra VS. Komodo Dragon" advertised on the Syfy Channel in the UK. They have monster movies from time to time there.

Inception was great.

I saw Surrogates with some friends back when it game out, I thought it was meh.

this summer hasn't had too many good movies, besides the silly animated ones you watch with a group of people just to be with the group of people. ;)

I really like horror movies. im fine when my dream is horror themed im only scared of roach dreams(true true). i like comedy the most. i always like to have a good laugh.

Movies i like:

Saw#(i also like mind games)

HP's

anything that Adam Sandler and Rob Schneider is involved

the ring. grudge etc.

Hated:

the almost vacant theater says it all.

most cartoon & anime turned to real ones movies (dragon ball)- i'm quite sensitive 'bout this. because when i watch live action movies i tend to look at similarities. i mean seriously if they cannot handle that don't bother making the movie. but i like Avatar(airbender movie)