Pokémon Pronunciations

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I pronounce Xatu as za-two.

Imagine me pronouncing Xatu as "Ksaa-tuu" (or [ksa-tyː] in IPA)

Because I know Pokémon since I was seven or something, I could not pronounce most names in a proper English way. So, a lot of Pokémonnames are infected with really weird sounds and wrong stressed syllables. Although, in the most cases I know how to pronounce the names properly, but it feels a bit strange to do, strangely enough. I thought about it for a while, and I noticed (with my pronunciation 'rules') that the first syllable is stressed in most cases. Like, [miː-lo-tɪk], where 'mi' sounds like 'me' for English speaking people. ;) And because I saw Tbird struggling with Ariados; this how you absolutely not have to pronounce the name: [a-riː-ja-dɔs].

About Arceus, I think you have to pronounce it in the English way (since it is the English name, right?). Greek-looking or not, I think it was not intended to sound like that 'because it is fun the name is reminiscent of Greek' (or what the masterminds of Nintendo might have thought about that). I have used [ɑr-søs] all the time, which is even worse actually, but if I have to pronounce it properly, I will not be inclined to use a random Greek pronunciation of 'ce'. I mean, even all mythological (Roman) names are Anglicized, and no English speaking person says 'Eurudikē' in dialy conversations, for example. On the other hand, you are never able to let countless speakers of different languages pronounce Pokémon names in the same way... Especially not when names are not 'translated' in the concerning languages.

And yeah, that's why this thread has three pages about 'how to pronounce' stories. ;)

French Examples:

trés = tr(ay)

élève = (ay)l(eh)ve

I do not want to spoil your example, mais on écrit le mot comme "très". So your élève is good on its own. ;)

But, arcee and Gin, try to say 'èèèèh' and move to 'ie' (like, 'eek' (or 익, isn't it Wraith?)) and just concentrate on the sound back in your mouth when you slightly move your tongue upwards to pronounce that 'eek'. In the middle between those sounds you will find é as in evandixon's French examples. I do not know if that works for you, but it works for me, although I know it is there. ^^ As you probably would expect after reading my other message here, I pronounce Poké Ball like [po-ké-bɑl]. It is very difficult to write down this way, sadly enough! But yeah, I pronounce everything very accentuated...