Black and White starters

datenshi11793

I started with Snivy based on looks alone, I am normally a fire type Starter guy but i am not feeling anything about Tepig or its evolutions, after i beat the game and got on GTS i got an oshawott and i really like it and its my pick for my favorite V gen starter

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I chose snivy. wish I chose tepig. fighting is probaly the most supereffective type. But they're getting really...uncool. and another thing is that they seem be getting worse. Is it just me or are these pokemon you catch seem really strong, but then when you finish the game they have 0 chance against the original pokemon, so either you have to transfer, use action replay or catch the original pokemon the sec you finish the game. Took me 9 months to be able to beat Cynthia (nowadays I'm thrashing him/her (seriusly don't know the gender, looks like a girl but you never know by looking at the top of her/his head. I know she's in pokemon gold and sliver but never played it)

I chose snivy. wish I chose tepig. fighting is probaly the most supereffective type. But they're getting really...uncool. and another thing is that they seem be getting worse. Is it just me or are these pokemon you catch seem really strong, but then when you finish the game they have 0 chance against the original pokemon, so either you have to transfer, use action replay or catch the original pokemon the sec you finish the game. Took me 9 months to be able to beat Cynthia (nowadays I'm thrashing him/her (seriusly don't know the gender, looks like a girl but you never know by looking at the top of her/his head. I know she's in pokemon gold and sliver but never played it)

Snivy is for experts, so if you beat the game with Snivy, kudos to you.

Uh, some of the new Pokemon are entirely broken *cough*Reuniclus*cough* I've been able to take those level 60 guys with Pokemon nearly 20 levels below, and they were the new ones.

Cynthia is OBVIOUSLY a guy, where have you been? HE's in Red/Green version, not Gold or Silver. You know how manly it is to don a bikini right?

No I'm kidding. Though dressed in masculine attire, Cynthia is a woman, and she's in HeartGold/SoulSilver as a cameo with event Arceus, not in the original GSC. Her main game is Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum as Champion -_-

Snivy certainly isn't the easiest, but it has the best potential of the three, especially vs bosses or something. I completely swept N with Serperior alone!

The moves it learns aren't great, Leaf Blade and Giga Drain are the only ones worth having + it's filled with grass type moves. It doesn't learn any good TM's (AERIAL ACE ANyWUNZ!!111!). Tepig would of been my preferred choice had I of had any information on the Pokes.

Oh, I didn't struggle with Snivy, I over-leveled like a boss, had I not been in the 80's by the end of the game with it, I assume I would of struggled.

The moves it learns aren't great, Leaf Blade and Giga Drain are the only ones worth having + it's filled with grass type moves. It doesn't learn any good TM's (AERIAL ACE ANyWUNZ!!111!). Tepig would of been my preferred choice had I of had any information on the Pokes.

Oh, I didn't struggle with Snivy, I over-leveled like a boss, had I not been in the 80's by the end of the game with it, I assume I would of struggled.

Tepig's for noobs bro (game's too easy with that guy) :P

For Snivy it's all about utilising her defences, setting up with Coil and then sweeping. I ended up with Coil/Leaf Blade/Giga Drain/Return. Lack of offensive moves blow but I still managed. There are worse starters (Meganium anyone?). I assume it was created for skilled people.

Er... 80s? Good grief that's terribly overleveled -_-

Tepig's for noobs bro (game's too easy with that guy) :P

For Snivy it's all about utilising her defences, setting up with Coil and then sweeping. I ended up with Coil/Leaf Blade/Giga Drain/Return. Lack of offensive moves blow but I still managed. There are worse starters (Meganium anyone?). I assume it was created for skilled people.

Er... 80s? Good grief that's terribly overleveled -_-

I personally don't like set up moves, especially for in-game. Meganium was just horrible...horrible.

80's, it's what happens when you give the game to your nephew and tell him "don't leave this area".

I personally don't like set up moves, especially for in-game. Meganium was just horrible...horrible.

80's, it's what happens when you give the game to your nephew and tell him "don't leave this area".

Who does? But at least it means you're more skilled at it rather than choosing a move, one shotting everyone, rinse and repeat. I suppose for most people if you require set up in-game, then it just slows things down. I do agree that setting up is tedious for that matter and is much better suited competitively, but I didn't mind though; Serperior was my only Pokemon along with Unfezant until I reached the 5th gym. I was able to set up for "boss battles" while regular battles were a cinch for my other Pokemon. For me, I just pick Pokemon out of what I like, not how good they are, hence why I chose Meganium despite its role of being a supporter.

Ha ha. Wow. Mine ended up at 53 by end game.

Who does?* But at least it means you're more skilled at it rather than choosing a move, one shotting everyone, rinse and repeat. I suppose for most people if you require set up in-game, then it just slows things down. I do agree that setting up is tedious for that matter and is much better suited competitively, but I didn't mind though; Serperior was my only Pokemon along with Unfezant until I reached the 5th gym. I was able to set up for "boss battles" while regular battles were a cinch for my other Pokemon. For me, I just pick Pokemon out of what I like, not how good they are, hence why I chose Meganium despite its role of being a supporter.

Ha ha. Wow. Mine ended up at 53 by end game.

*What?

Does in-game actually take skill? All you really need are quick pokes, with hard hitting moves, and you'll win.

+Unfezant sucks... =P

*What?

Does in-game actually take skill? All you really need are quick pokes, with hard hitting moves, and you'll win.

+Unfezant sucks... =P

This:

"I personally don't like set up moves, especially for in-game"

Who does like to set up in-game?

Of course in-game does take skill, especially if you handicap yourself with weird Pokes or if the E4 turns out to be like 10 levels higher than your party (happens to me a lot in many of these games). Don't think just because it isn't competitive you don't need much skills. You know, like Meganium in HGSS? You can actually play the game without one shotting everything you know? Otherwise it can get boring pretty fast. I personally found it hard in the end while I was underleveled, but that was fine. Why else would items like X Attack exist for? Find your own way to play the game of course, but that's all your choice.

Unfezant may not be great, but whatever. More weaker the Pokemon actually is, the more satisfaction you get for winning with them.

This:

"I personally don't like set up moves, especially for in-game"

Who does like to set up in-game?

Of course in-game does take skill, especially if you handicap yourself with weird Pokes or if the E4 turns out to be like 10 levels higher than your party (happens to me a lot in many of these games). Don't think just because it isn't competitive you don't need much skills. You know, like Meganium in HGSS? You can actually play the game without one shotting everything you know? Otherwise it can get boring pretty fast. I personally found it hard in the end while I was underleveled, but that was fine. Why else would items like X Attack exist for? Find your own way to play the game of course, but that's all your choice.

Unfezant may not be great, but whatever. More weaker the Pokemon actually is, the more satisfaction you get for winning with them.

The thing with weird Pokes is that their is a fine line between usable, and useless, and I've played Pokemon for too long to waste my time with Pokes that are outclassed. (Exceptions being starter and legendary Pokemon) I'm aware that not everything has to be OHKO, and in doing so, it can take the fun out of the game, but I find if I set up or use X-Items then game becomes boring, because I'm almost guaranteed to set up, and in-game doing that against a strong trainer isn't much fun.

+Apologies for going off topic widely. :P

Eh each to his own. Too much competitive battling has influenced me in a way to think that way too, but I got over it and decided to use what I like, such as Pidgeot and Meganium and such, in spite of others outclassing them. My qualms about them though about why they were designed horridly still remain (ex: Unfezant with the wrong stats to use its SPECIAL movepool). I do agree about the line between usable and useless (like Vullaby), as that still exists. BW was terribly designed for in-game to be frank; not enough usable Pokemon and things in late game start evolving at insane levels of 50 +.

All right back to topic. As I've said, mine is Snivy.

Eh just breeze right though with Tepig. Didn't found good team with him. I knew i should choose snivy.Wonder what i should pear up with Snivy. The first time i saw it, i though it has a lack of low def now, not really just started to train him. Coil Leafblade, Giga drain, and Slam is the moves. Thinking of giveing it Leech seed if can.

• 5 months later...

I went with Tepig, though my brother is having one heck of a time with Oshawott.

If you want a challenge, go for Snivy though. It is not as statistically superior as Oshawott, nor does it have a dual-type advantage like Tepig will. (I consider having a Fighting type thrown on an advantage).

In regards to the past starters, I've chosen Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Chikorita, Totodile, Cydanquil, and Piplup.

I've found most every starter to be balanced more or less. Although Meganium is definitly the worst of the starters I've used during the E4, it's not bad per se, it's just not great.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...