Trying out OU - Watch out lol

Tbird

Introoo

Yet Another Revamp

Firstly thank you to shogun for pointing me in the right direction with some pokes and suggesting things ... really helped :)

If any of you know me you'll know that I actually almost despise OU... however I was getting a bit bored of seeing the same thing in UU over and over again so thought I'd try OU out. And well... I'm sad to say that I'm actually quite enjoying it haha.

I threw almost all of my prejudice away in making this team so there are a fair few purely standard sets on fairly standard pokemon, but I hope I didn't go too generic. The aim of this team is to hit hard when need be whilst being able go on the defensive when it starts to kick off :P. I've also tried to add some synergy too... but I suck at that so there might be some holes... but hell if it was perfect I wouldn't be here asking for help :D.

Anyway enough digression, here's the team - in small form first of course ;).

[iCON]461[/iCON] [iCON]130[/iCON] [iCON]135[/iCON] [iCON]392[/iCON] [iCON]241[/iCON] [iCON]242[/iCON]

Lead

[HGSSSPRITE]461[/HGSSSPRITE]

Occam (Weavile) (M) @ Focus Sash

Ability: Pressure

EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd

Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Fake Out

- Counter

- Taunt

- Ice Shard

The strategy is the same as last time if you saw this thread before the revamp. Fake out for some free damage, Taunt to stop entry hazards, and counter to remove the threat - so long as it is physically based. I have found that aerodactyl is a pain ... what with all its speed so it usually falls to a fake out followed by two ice shards (no damage to me done), then the next pokemon (which is usually physical due to the ice typing) falls to counter instead. Win win :D

---

Physical Sweeper

[HGSSSPRITE]130[/HGSSSPRITE]

Xuanlong (Gyarados) (M) @ Wacan Berry

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 252 Atk/50 Def/208 Spd

Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Dragon Dance

- Waterfall

- Earthquake

- Ice Fang

Not much to say about gyarados, other than he's very good xD. The Ev's given are merely for bulk. There was 12 in HP so that life orb damage left me on 1 HP after 10 attacks. however I've opted for a wacan berry (credit to Mewtwo Ex for suggesting it :)) as I was having starmie troubles and thunderbiolt troubles in general. This now means that I can Point blank Ddance in the face of an unboosted electric attack should the time warrant for it, and OHKO back earthquake. :) Ice fang over stone edge so latias isn't as problematic.

---

Special Sweeper

[HGSSSPRITE]135[/HGSSSPRITE]

Blackwater (Jolteon) (M) @ Expert Belt

Ability: Volt Absorb

EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk

Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Thunderbolt

- Hidden Power [ice]

- Shadow Ball

- Charge Beam

Jolteon is the second part of my offencive trio. Jolteon provides a good way of getting out of thunderbolts dodge (should the incoming thunderbolt be boosted against gyarados) and making it somewhat advantageous due to volt absorb. In other words great synergy :D. The idea is simple here, switch into an electric attack or something that will have to switch out, or a weakened special poke (as Jolteon has quite cool special defence), revenge/kill it or use charge beam, get the plus one and go to town. Some teams aren't prepared for a jolteon so I can occasionally get 2 - 4 guys down before he falls (expecially if blissey has been eliminated). Hidden power ice is the HP of choice as there's a lot of gliscor floating about (pun not intended, but on reflection kept anyway) and it's always nice to see a salamence fall in one hit + swampert usually frequent as leads and get killed by weavile. :D

---

Mixed Sweeper

[HGSSSPRITE]392[/HGSSSPRITE]

Zhu-Rong (Infernape) (M) @ Life Orb

Ability: Blaze

EVs: 64 Atk/252 Spd/192 SAtk

Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)

- Close Combat

- Nasty Plot

- Fire Blast

- Grass Knot

And here's Infernape, completing my offencive trio. Was never a fan of Infernape but frankly dragonite wasn't doing me any favours and I hate salamence. In any case I now really do like infernape, he does exactly what I wanted dragonite to do and does it better :D. The idea is again to switch in to something that doesnt like him, and use nasty plot, when blissey comes in, I punch it in the face... and then set about kicking everything holy out of everything else with boosted fire blasts. Grass knot is for bulky waters that over wise wall me :).

---

For every Salamence, Scizor and Lucario that ripped through your best team

[HGSSSPRITE]241[/HGSSSPRITE]

Fat Man (Miltank) (F) @ Leftovers

Ability: Scrappy

EVs: 252 HP/136 Def/120 SDef

Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)

- Curse

- Heal Bell

- Milk Drink

- Body Slam

Don't scoff at Fat Man... That scoffing will get you swept very quickly... well slowly but in a timely manner :P. Believe it or not Miltank is the best physical wall I've ever had the pleasure of having on my team. The idea is to switch into scizors bullet punch or super power, and then use milk drink until his attack is at a manageable level, then curse alot, drink some milk and sweep with +6 Attack and + 6 Defence. Though I can't actually switch into salamence, there's not a lot he can do when I'm at 100% either. Gengar does provide some problems as he can get the OHKO on me at times, but if not he follows the same trend as all his other high powered brethren.

---

Special Wall

[HGSSSPRITE]242[/HGSSSPRITE]

Wild Bill (Blissey) (F) @ Leftovers

Ability: Natural Cure

EVs: 24 HP/252 Def/232 SDef

Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Aromatherapy

- Seismic Toss

- Softboiled

- Toxic

Blissey is blissey ... she does what she does :D. She walls special hits and does it well :D.

---

Rate as you see fit, hopefully this team is better than the last one. Thanks for reading :). I also think I have a slight gengar proble so if there's any plausible way to help me out in that area then please do so. :)

Anyone that gets the theme behind the nickname gets ... a cyber Cookier?

Edited by Tbird

Hm. Interesting. You're team is stall weak first of all. Everyone of your Pokemon is effected by Toxic Spikes, and Spikes. All of which can easily cause your whole team to fall down... Which is perfect as you're team is weak to almost all of mine xD

You also are offense weak.. You have nothing that can stop a Dragon Dance Salamence, Tyranitar, some Infernapes, Lucario... Maybe I should list what you're not weak to lol

Errr... I don't know how to edit teams, but rebuild... I'll help you rebuild one later OK

Hm. Interesting. You're team is stall weak first of all. Everyone of your Pokemon is effected by Toxic Spikes, and Spikes. All of which can easily cause your whole team to fall down... Which is perfect as you're team is weak to almost all of mine xD

You also are offense weak.. You have nothing that can stop a Dragon Dance Salamence, Tyranitar, some Infernapes, Lucario... Maybe I should list what you're not weak to lol

Errr... I don't know how to edit teams, but rebuild... I'll help you rebuild one later OK

Haha probably a good idea. I'm heading off now though so you can help me with it tomorrow if you're online...

Too many scary things in OU for my liking xD

Hm. Swampert's EV spread is interesting. I would have used 108 HP, 252 Defense, and 148 Special Defense, but if that set works for you, that's cool. But anyways. I have yet to see that Weavile in action, so I cannot judge it for myself. Gyarados is a great physical sweeper that also helps counter Weavile's weaknesses of Infernape, and Scizor. Jolteon is great on the team! Sadly Brelooom can be a problem for you, but then again many teams are weak to it. I can't help but to feel that you're team is a little bit weak to Stall. Calm Mind Jirachi can beat your team. I recommend that you use Gliscor over Azelf in order to counter stall as well as the Lucario Tyranitar and Jirachi which threaten your team. It's somewhat hard to rate it... It looks healthy enough, but because I helped you build it makes me unsure of what to say xD

• 3 weeks later...

ok the basis of the team looks nice. it looks like a balance team but some of the sets just look not reliable. for one charge beam should never ever ever be used on jolteon without a sub(not even cress uses charge beam without a sub so what does that tell you) or something to keep it safe while it's gaining those attack boost. charge beam is better off being signal beam as darks like his cousin will eat all those attack. and it's always nice to get super effective damage on the destructive T-tar not to mention the chance for confusion can save your life in OU thanks to all the Setting up in OU

gyarados should honestly have stone edge over ice fang as your whole team including your gyarados are 1 to 2 dd's away from a jolly life orb gyarados sweep.

I really like your blisseys evs I think it would function well as a counter blissey

one more thing be careful you have a blaring infernape weakness so watch your step and tred carefully into OU as by the looks of your team this is new water for you

Edited by crimson assassin

One thing that could improve your Weavile is to add Swords Dance and replace Ice Shard with Ice Punch. My Weavile is a little similar to yours. I can't remember what nature it was, but it might be the same.

My weavile has Ice Punch, Swords Dance, Night Slash, Brick Break. Just one Swords Dance is Lethal. I have the same EV spread as yours. My Weavile is a Physical Sweeper though.

Occam (Weavile) (M) @ Focus Sash

Ability: Pressure

EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd

Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Fake Out

- Counter

- Taunt

- Ice Shard

Standard, and I suppose looks good. It's tough to only choose two attacks (besides Fake Out) because you'll be at a disadvantage to some leads no matter what. One way to solve that would be to drop Taunt, or go with Infernape's anti-lead set who can at least also lay down SR.

You've got decent enough coverage here. If you want to ditch Taunt and throw on Night Slash, you might want to consider that.

Of course, I'd just use anti-lead Infernape because it can lay down SR. But different stoaks blah blah blah.

Xuanlong (Gyarados) (M) @ Wacan Berry

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 252 Atk/50 Def/208 Spd

Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Dragon Dance

- Waterfall

- Earthquake

- Ice Fang

What about sticking leftovers on it, and using Electivire, Jolteon, or a ground type to take electric attacks? Gyarados takes enough damage from weather + SR that even weakening electirc attacks with Wacan Berry can spell a quick end.

And I'll have to rate the rest later. I got bored. But I did notice there is no Stealth Rock on your team. You need it. It turns many 3hkos into 2hkos, 2hkos into OHKOS, etc...

One thing that could improve your Weavile is to add Swords Dance and replace Ice Shard with Ice Punch. My Weavile is a little similar to yours. I can't remember what nature it was, but it might be the same.

My weavile has Ice Punch, Swords Dance, Night Slash, Brick Break. Just one Swords Dance is Lethal. I have the same EV spread as yours. My Weavile is a Physical Sweeper though.

Nah I'd say Weaville with ice shard is needed.

It's one of the main advantages over other speedy sweepers.

And it's a sureshot way to end a DD Salamence (If it doesn't have Yache Berry)

Nah I'd say Weaville with ice shard is needed.

It's one of the main advantages over other speedy sweepers.

And it's a sureshot way to end a DD Salamence (If it doesn't have Yache Berry)

While Ice Shard is a fine move for anti-lead Weavile, it isn't because of Salamence. Moreso for Dragonite, which is becoming a more common lead.

Thanks for the semi rate there Random .. Gotta say I'm honoured; I've not yet had the privileged of your bluntness :P. Don't worry about the rest of the rate I'm trying out a bunch of stuff at the moment as it is ... such as an anger point Tauros for some ungodly reason lol. But most of the set remains.

Currently trying:

Same Weavile set - Tried loads of other vairants and sets, and none just do it quite so well for me.

Gyarados - Changed to a bulky variant (Ddance/Waterfall/Stone Edge/ Taunt - though may change for substitute) AND the wacan berry really works, Especially now that I've gone for the bulky set, If I can get in before SR (Bulky gyarados is meant for early game I hear) that doesnt become an issue, Ddance in the face of the lead, take the counters electric move, Ddance throw it and start giving it hell. To each their own though eh? ;)

Jolteon - Listened to some people, threw on choice specs, and it's not doing that great, may switch it out for something else (Feel free to give me ideas for that spot, as long as it provides good use with some other pokemon)

Lanturn - New special wall/Parafusion. It's more to my taste than blissey and, couple with the following pokemon, works wonders.

Weezing- Gone for this over miltank for the time being. Simply being because I need the initial defence a lot more atm, and will o wisp support is really a godsend. Plus it really hurts to have two fighting weak pokemon :/.(Though I still challenge anyone to fault miltank after trying it a couple times :P)

Tauros/Ursaring/Kingler/Other kinda gimmicky sweeper preferably from the first two gens to match everyone else on the team - Simply because it's nice to have a bit of colour in a world full of Salamence, Scizor, Tyranitar, Metagross, Breloom and Togekiss.

Once I got something new I'll update the OP... again... or maybe even just make a new thread. lol

Weezing- Gone for this over miltank for the time being. Simply being because I need the initial defence a lot more atm, and will o wisp support is really a godsend. Plus it really hurts to have two fighting weak pokemon :/.(Though I still challenge anyone to fault miltank after trying it a couple times :P)

Weezing used to be the premiere physical wall in Diamond/Pearl in the VERY early days, and in Gen III. However, now that Garchomp is banned to uber, Heatran doesn't have to worry about the strongest STAB Earthquake in the game. And Heatran is pretty much a perfect counter to Weezing.

I mean, it gets powered up by Will-O-Wisp and Flamethrower, and doesn't mind taking the minimal damage from Weezing's Thunderbolt, and resists Explosion. On top of that, Weezing has horrible special Defense and taking a Flash Fire STAB Fire Blast will ruin Weezing's day.

Even Skarmory, THE physical wall, doesn't do too well nowadays, though is still a force to be put up with. If it Roosts, it'll loose it's Flying-typing making it weak to something like Breloom's STAB Focus Punch.

I'd say use one of the Rotom forms. They can directly counter Gyarados, and keep physical Mence and Scizor in check. After you rip Gyarados apart, watch your opponent send in Scizor. Then burn him with Will O Wisp, set up Reflect, and laugh at how much Pursuit does to you. You'll probably be KOed by the end of it all, but you'll have taken down both your opponent's Scizor and Gyarados.

I'd say use one of the Rotom forms. They can directly counter Gyarados, and keep physical Mence and Scizor in check. After you rip Gyarados apart, watch your opponent send in Scizor. Then burn him with Will O Wisp, set up Reflect, and laugh at how much Pursuit does to you. You'll probably be KOed by the end of it all, but you'll have taken down both your opponent's Scizor and Gyarados.

Sounds like a fine idea. I used the cut one quite recently (I think it looks the best lol) I may go back to using that. Thanks.

Sounds like a fine idea. I used the cut one quite recently (I think it looks the best lol) I may go back to using that. Thanks.

I like the Lawn Mower form because it also acts as a great counter to Swampert with Leaf Storm. The downside to that is that I usually end up not having Shadow Ball making it weak to Gengar and, ironically, other Rotom forms.