Hello all, I'm new to these forums but I really need your help!  I was editing some pokemon that i have been working on for half a year on pkhex last night and In my groggy state, I accidentally permanently deleted my pkmn Sun's main save file from my PC without having a recent back-up saved somewhere. 

I panicked and ended up purchasing a file recovery service in EaseUS, to recover the said main save file.  Now when I try to open the file with pkhex it says it's corrupted or using a different version (which I have not changed)  

I will upload the recovered file here and maybe one of you heroes can help me out. I really hope this file isn't completely lost :((

main

Edited by Mr-Bleu

I can provide the other related files that were recovered with it in a bit if you could look at it when you have time.

Okay, i just recovered this file, and I've just tried it on pkhex as well but it gave me the same error message.

main

58 minutes ago, Mr-Bleu said:

I can provide the other related files that were recovered with it in a bit if you could look at it when you have time.

Okay, i just recovered this file, and I've just tried it on pkhex as well but it gave me the same error message.

main 431.5 kB · 3 downloads

Also not a save.
image.png

This should not be there.

Another thing is, I can't find signs that would point to an empty slot in your PC (usually one's PC would not be completely full)

Okay. I'll try to recover all the files and you can probably tell me which one it is.  And on my save file, all the boxes were full.

Could it have anything to do with the fact that it is now saved under a different folder other than the 3ds checkpoint folder? Could it perhaps have anything to do with me fiddling with the show file history on the file toolbar?

P.S I also recovered these files from my SD card, tho only some are dated to last night, which was the last time I made a modification to the file. 

P.S.S I know this is a lot to ask for, and I appreciate you taking your time to help me out with this.

#ain main_2 main_1 main_0 main (2)_0 main (2) main main (2)(1) main(1) #ainn_0 #ainn

1 hour ago, Mr-Bleu said:

Okay. I'll try to recover all the files and you can probably tell me which one it is.  And on my save file, all the boxes were full.

Could it have anything to do with the fact that it is now saved under a different folder other than the 3ds checkpoint folder? Could it perhaps have anything to do with me fiddling with the show file history on the file toolbar?

P.S I also recovered these files from my SD card, tho only some are dated to last night, which was the last time I made a modification to the file. 

P.S.S I know this is a lot to ask for, and I appreciate you taking your time to help me out with this.

#ain 32 kB · 3 downloads main_2 431.5 kB · 1 download main_1 431.5 kB · 1 download main_0 431.5 kB · 3 downloads main (2)_0 32 kB · 1 download main (2) 32 kB · 1 download main 431.5 kB · 1 download main (2)(1) 32 kB · 1 download main(1) 431.5 kB · 1 download #ainn_0 32 kB · 1 download #ainn 32 kB · 1 download

Rejoice, these 2 are saves.
image.png

Tho it appears a lot of your mons are illegal, well at least you have your saves :D

You should be able able to use the files, just make sure to rename them to be only main before you restore then=m.
If it doesn't work, let me know. Make sure to tag me (or quote my previous messages) in your replies.

7 hours ago, theSLAYER said:

Rejoice, these 2 are saves.
image.png

Tho it appears a lot of your mons are illegal, well at least you have your saves :D

You should be able able to use the files, just make sure to rename them to be only main before you restore then=m.
If it doesn't work, let me know. Make sure to tag me (or quote my previous messages) in your replies.

Yeah, theyre just staying in this game.  Hey, So I tried the files you circled, and they are from the save before I had started editing the pokmeon in the game to what I was doing up until now.  So yes, I could use that. However I would have basically lost half a year or more worth of work if I go that route and start again. 

Is there any way we can try to fix the file that was last modified last night?  The one I was able to recover? 

It keeps saying file is invalid and it's aborting, I changed the name of last night's file to "main", and it still kinda gives me the error message. 

When you stated that the decided text was not supposed to be there, how does that happen, or rather can we remove that decoded text to see if it could be saved?

14 minutes ago, Mr-Bleu said:

Is there any way we can try to fix the file that was last modified last night?  The one I was able to recover? 

The other files are not saves. It seems they *may* have some data but I’ll need to check again.

It keeps saying file is invalid and it's aborting, I changed the name of last night's file to "main", and it still kinda gives me the error message. 

are you trying to load the other files? Changing the names won’t be enough to load them. They don’t fully contain a save data, so changing names won’t matter for them. That is not how the data for Pokémon games work.

When you stated that the decided text was not supposed to be there, how does that happen, or rather can we remove that decoded text to see if it could be saved?

I don’t know how that happens. Could be something went wrong with the homebrew you’re using. Or your recovery tool just pulling any bits of data (for the entire drive) and making them into files.
As for restoring the save for deleting the text, my point is that it isn’t a save to begin with. Also, That’s not how a Pokémon save works.

Frankly, you are better just carrying on with the 2 files I circled for you. I could try looking into the other files again to see if any small bits of data can be frankensteined together, but chances are very very slim. 

20 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

The other files are not saves. It seems they *may* have some data but I’ll need to check again.

are you trying to load the other files? Changing the names won’t be enough to load them. They don’t fully contain a save data, so changing names won’t matter for them. That is not how the data for Pokémon games work.

I don’t know how that happens. Could be something went wrong with the homebrew you’re using. Or your recovery tool just pulling any bits of data (for the entire drive) and making them into files.
As for restoring the save for deleting the text, my point is that it isn’t a save to begin with. Also, That’s not how a Pokémon save works.

Frankly, you are better just carrying on with the 2 files I circled for you. I could try looking into the other files again to see if any small bits of data can be frankensteined together, but chances are very very slim. 

Thank you for explaining this to me as professionally as youve been doing, i really appreciate it. 

I'm trying to find any other files that could be saves but all i have to go by is the fact its a "file" not a text file and that it is 431.5 in size.   

I will keep doing my part and looking for any other files that may be related, I would greatly appreciate that Frankenstein idea if possible, I would hate to lose all that work in naming all my Pokémon and fine tuning the little stuff all over again.   But if there is no other option then I can't really do anything otherwise but go with your plan. 

These are the some of the files that I found I think may help, the rest are either text documents, between 32-52 KB, or last modified on the first of the year.

If you need me to provide anything else that may help do let me know,  I hope any bit of information from the recent save can be salvaged.   

#ain main

10 hours ago, Mr-Bleu said:

These are the some of the files that I found I think may help, the rest are either text documents, between 32-52 KB, or last modified on the first of the year.

If you need me to provide anything else that may help do let me know,  I hope any bit of information from the recent save can be salvaged.  

To be specific, do you remember what changes you made?

Some of them contain pokemon files. Not a complete living dex, just some Pokemon. Was wondering if I what I find to what is there.

Edit: The mons are illegal, and apparently likely from an earlier edit. and probably from a folder. Thus, I don't think I can line up the mons for usage in a save.
Also, looks like you cloned the ECs lol.
image.png

Here's the files.
mr bleu.rar

So I was basically trying to make a living dex with the regular and non shiny forms.  The old back up file I have and the one you recommended to be useful in the first post was the dex from Kanto up until halfway through Sinnoh's dex, (all with battle sets, natures and nicknamed with self-proclaimed well thought out names lol)

The version of the file I lost was the changes I had made to the old back up file,  that version of it had pokemon starting from the remaining sinnoh dex that i needed (since the whole shiny/nonshiny dex wouldnt fit the 32 boxes), up to the last of gen 7's dex. (Again, with the whole names and stuff I stated)

So ultimately,  im just upset that I clumsily lost half a years worth of brainstorming for unique nicknames and battle sets for them.  

I know they're illegal, its hard to make legal pokemon from scratch tbh. 😓

What are the EC's?   

God I wish I could fully understand the images you're sending me. 

Edited by Mr-Bleu

32 minutes ago, Mr-Bleu said:

So ultimately,  im just upset that I clumsily lost half a years worth of brainstorming for unique nicknames and battle sets for them. 

So to start with, I've dumped every Pokemon that can be found in those files (besides the 2 proper saves), and I've just been getting repetitions. And those files don't seem to be in a save structure either, so I don't think there's any saves in there :/

33 minutes ago, Mr-Bleu said:

I know they're illegal, its hard to make legal pokemon from scratch tbh. 😓

Yeah, I'd rather you use the Encounter Database to generate a legal mon, then edit from there. Or perhaps use someone else's file as is. I don't think you should have, use, nor transfer these.

34 minutes ago, Mr-Bleu said:

What are the EC's?   

Encryption Constant.
image.png

35 minutes ago, Mr-Bleu said:

God I wish I could fully understand the images you're sending me. 

Basically, I was searching for the Encryption Constant of a particular mon that was dumped. The mon was dumped from a file, and if the file contained a truncated save structure, at least I could try to use that part of the file in your working save.

Except that the Encryption Constant, which is usually unique in each person's save (to a degree), gave me 247 hits. Means you used the same EC 247 times in the file I was looking at.

I think that may have to do with the fact that I just copied one pokemon after I made it, and pasted it to the space next to it, then continued to make the species, and other changes. Rinse and repeat.

If anything I'd just be happy to get most of the nicknames retrieved somehow, that's what took me the longest to do, what with work and other responsibilities eating up most of my time.  In retrospect I should've been writing them down or at least have a back up.  

Once again, thank you so much for all the effort you've been putting through to help me with this.  

I suppose I'll settle for any suggestions you may have. 

Do I change their name to main? Or just import them like that?

Okay. So I imported them, and they do work, however they are from the completed first half of the Pokedex that I had mentioned to you earlier.  

I'm not sure I'll be able to recover anything from the second half of that updated file.    The last time I updated it was on the 6 or 7th month if this year.  

Most of the files i can use or recover without problems, are dated around the 1st and 3rd month of this year. 

Man I wish there was a way to get the names at least 😓 

Do you recommend anything else? 

1 hour ago, Mr-Bleu said:

Do I change their name to main? Or just import them like that?

Okay. So I imported them, and they do work, however they are from the completed first half of the Pokedex that I had mentioned to you earlier.  

I'm not sure I'll be able to recover anything from the second half of that updated file.    The last time I updated it was on the 6 or 7th month if this year.  

Most of the files i can use or recover without problems, are dated around the 1st and 3rd month of this year. 

Man I wish there was a way to get the names at least 😓 

Do you recommend anything else? 

I mean I don’t know what to tell you. 

For me, it’s either the files are there or they aren’t. I extracted everything them everything you gave me, so if they’re not there, they’re either somewhere else in your computer, or thoroughly gone :(:(

Maybe check inside SD cards for backup unedited save, and maybe look for the backup of the SD card itself (assuming you back up your SD card periodically)

• Relieved 1

It's quite alright man, I think I've already settled for my losses.   I'm just gonna take a break and maybe go at it again later down the year.  

I really appreciate your time and effort into this. You've been really helpful and patient. 

I suppose the only thing I would ask now is if there's a way to get a legit living dex that I could slightly modify and retry with later. 

I downloaded some of your living dex files for the pre home gen 1-7 files but I'm not so sure on how to implement them into pkhex. 

32 minutes ago, Mr-Bleu said:

It's quite alright man, I think I've already settled for my losses.   I'm just gonna take a break and maybe go at it again later down the year.  

I really appreciate your time and effort into this. You've been really helpful and patient. 

I suppose the only thing I would ask now is if there's a way to get a legit living dex that I could slightly modify and retry with later. 

I downloaded some of your living dex files for the pre home gen 1-7 files but I'm not so sure on how to implement them into pkhex. 

So to open the pcdata.bin, you need to first open the relevant save file first, then drag in the pcdata.bin. Afterwards you can rearrange the mons, take them to your save, and use them as you please. 

Just don’t modify/edit details of the HOME compatible dex. And don’t make any of them illegal. I probably could develop a plugin that can rename mons based on their species, using data from an excel file. That’ll take time tho