A hypothesis about Pokémon height/weight values I would like to research

Grxxxeer

I’ve yet to see anyone attempt to answer this, but here goes:

in Pokémon Let’s Go you are able to catch Large or Small Pokémon. When placed into HOME, these values are retained.

Then, when transferred to Sword or Shield, the height is reverted to the average height of the species. When placed BACK in HOME, the new average value is what’s maintained, and the Pokémon no longer has the original LGPE height value.

My hypothesis is that the values are reset back to zero in SWSH, but I have no verifiable way to test this hypothesis. Would anyone with the proper tools to research this be willing to help me? The chain would go something like this:

>Catch a LGPE large/small Pokemon

>Transfer to HOME

>Transfer to SWSH

>Record its size value in PKHEX

>Transfer back to HOME

>Transfer back to SWSH and record again in pkhex taking note on the height/weight values.

1 hour ago, Grxxxeer said:

Then, when transferred to Sword or Shield, the height is reverted to the average height of the species. When placed BACK in HOME, the new average value is what’s maintained, and the Pokémon no longer has the original LGPE height value.

My hypothesis is that the values are reset back to zero in SWSH.

Both of these assumptions are false. All Pokemon that originate from a Gen 8 game, LGPE, or GO have a HeightScalar and WeightScalar value, and these are retained regardless of transfers. (They're never "reset to zero" or altered in any way)

SWSH displays the average height/weight for the species because those Height and Weight values are unused. They're generated, but SWSH doesn't do anything with them.

When you transfer from LGPE to HOME, those Pokémon remain in the LGPE format and have their displayed height and weight properly scaled by those values. (LGPE converts them to HeightAbsolute and WeightAbsolute to display the variable sizes)

When you transfer them into SWSH, they change to SWSH format, and stop using those values for Height/Weight calculation. This will be true for as long as they remain in the SWSH format.

If you'd like to confirm this, use PKHeX to view a Pokémon in LGPE, transfer it into HOME, then SWSH, view that same Pokémon in SWSH, and confirm that the Height/Weight values under the Main tab are identical after the transfer.

As a sidenote, BDSP and PLA also have HeightScalar and WeightScalar values. Like LGPE, PLA also uses them to calculate HeightAbsolute and WeightAbsolute to display the variable sizes ingame. There isn't any transfer compatibility between these games and HOME yet, but you can expect the same to be true for them as well. (aside from PLA's Alpha flag, which may be lost/become unused outside PLA)

Edited by Atrius97
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Atrius97 said:

Both of these assumptions are false. All Pokemon that originate from a Gen 8 game, LGPE, or GO have a HeightScalar and WeightScalar value, and these are retained regardless of transfers. (They're never "reset to zero" or altered in any way)

SWSH displays the average height/weight for the species because those Height and Weight values are unused. They're generated, but SWSH doesn't do anything with them.

When you transfer from LGPE to HOME, those Pokémon remain in the LGPE format and have their displayed height and weight properly scaled by those values. (LGPE converts them to HeightAbsolute and WeightAbsolute to display the variable sizes)

When you transfer them into SWSH, they change to SWSH format, and stop using those values for Height/Weight calculation. This will be true for as long as they remain in the SWSH format.

If you'd like to confirm this, use PKHeX to view a Pokémon in LGPE, transfer it into HOME, then SWSH, view that same Pokémon in SWSH, and confirm that the Height/Weight values under the Main tab are identical after the transfer.

As a sidenote, BDSP and PLA also have HeightScalar and WeightScalar values. Like LGPE, PLA also uses them to calculate HeightAbsolute and WeightAbsolute to display the variable sizes ingame. There isn't any transfer compatibility between these games and HOME yet, but you can expect the same to be true for them as well. (aside from PLA's Alpha flag, which may be lost/become unused outside PLA)

Interesting! So the assumption then is that if Scarlet/Violet/any future game have height scaling in the game, these LGPE Pokemon would be converted to that games format upon transfer and still retain the original height/weight they were generated with, thus giving those height values meaning again. This is comforting, because I thought the extra large Charizard I caught would forever remain changed once it got into SWSH. Thank you!

5 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Big IF.

Hm. I suppose a better example would be catching a large Pikachu in LGPE and putting it into Sword and then into PLA? I’m assuming (again, assuming) that the Pikachus height would come back into play since as Atrius said, the height and weight data never get touched.

Care to elaborate on your thoughts?

Edited by Grxxxeer

12 minutes ago, Grxxxeer said:

Hm. I suppose a better example would be catching a large Pikachu in LGPE and putting it into Sword and then into PLA? I’m assuming (again, assuming) that the Pikachus height would come back into play since as Atrius said, the height and weight data never get touched.

Care to elaborate on your thoughts?

Multiple IFs.

If HOME supports HOME->BDSP, and doesn't wipe the HT/WT data upon such an entry into BDSP, then yes, it would come into play.

Same thing for SV:
If SV supports HT/WT, and doesn't wipe HT/WT if HOME supports HOME->SV, then yeah it'll come into again.

Do notice how there's multiple IFs involved.
Just because HOME doesn't wipe HT/WT currently, doesn't mean it won't when entering future games.
Another if would be if SV even decides to support + display it.

HOME wiping HT/WT when entering future games:
As much as it doesn't do so right now, we cannot guarantee it won't in the future.

SV supporting HT/WT:
As much as it seems SV is built on PLA's engine, we can't guarantee the support.
SWSH was built on LGPE's engine and it didn't support HT/WT displays.

5 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

Multiple IFs.

If HOME supports HOME->BDSP, and doesn't wipe the HT/WT data upon such an entry into BDSP, then yes, it would come into play.

Same thing for SV:
If SV supports HT/WT, and doesn't wipe HT/WT if HOME supports HOME->SV, then yeah it'll come into again.

Do notice how there's multiple IFs involved.
Just because HOME doesn't wipe HT/WT currently, doesn't mean it won't when entering future games.
Another if would be if SV even decides to support + display it.

HOME wiping HT/WT when entering future games:
As much as it doesn't do so right now, we cannot guarantee it won't in the future.

SV supporting HT/WT:
As much as it seems SV is built on PLA's engine, we can't guarantee the support.
SWSH was built on LGPE's engine and it didn't support HT/WT displays.

Very interesting read. My hope is that, like contest stats, there’s nothing really stopping them from keeping it around because they’re not really actively conflicting with anything, and it would be quite odd that BDSP was coded to keep tabs on and even GENERATE these values only for them to wipe them clean for no reason once HOME arrives.

But to completely honest, this series of games doing highly questionable and disappointing things for absolutely no reason and memory holing cool features is always at the forefront of my mind.