GBA Saves extracted using R4 Card are not recognized by PkHex - "attempted to load an unsupported file type/size pkhex"

abe_949

Hi,

I have looked at other discussions about this topic but I have not found any information I could use to help my situation (Sorry if this has been answered before). When I load my Pokémon Fire Red or emerald saves into pkhex it gives the message "attempted to load an unsupported file type/size pkhex". Is there an issue with the file size or something to do with how I am extracting it with a ds lite?

Attached Fire Red Save: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fzoGL_4sw-FoeetC676sNm-MPnbhy0bH/view?usp=sharing

Edited by abe_949
Font looked really weird on mobile

On 2/9/2022 at 4:10 AM, abe_949 said:

Hi,

I have looked at other discussions about this topic but I have not found any information I could use to help my situation (Sorry if this has been answered before). When I load my Pokémon Fire Red or emerald saves into pkhex it gives the message "attempted to load an unsupported file type/size pkhex". Is there an issue with the file size or something to do with how I am extracting it with a ds lite?

Attached Fire Red Save: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fzoGL_4sw-FoeetC676sNm-MPnbhy0bH/view?usp=sharing

What homebrew app are you using to extract save files?

Are your game cards original? (There could be some problems dumping fake/reprodution carts)

Edited by AlamosIT

I am using GBA backup tool and the cart i am trying to dump from is not original; I do have some original's though, I will attempt to dump a save from them and see if it works...

Update: It does work when dumping from an original game cart. Thanks for your help.

Edited by abe_949
Update.

50 minutes ago, abe_949 said:

I am using GBA backup tool and the cart i am trying to dump from is not original; I do have some original's though, I will attempt to dump a save from them and see if it works...

Update: It does work when dumping from an original game cart. Thanks for your help.

Yeah, fake carts have issues dumping their saves, because their saves are actually nested in their ROMs (it is not in the save partition that tools try to dump from)

You gotta dump the ROM and try to extract it, can try using this to scan the ROM file for the save.

Do note that you won't be able to inject any save back into the bootleg cart.

Note: Kind reminder to not upload the ROM here. Uploading of ROMs, among other things that relate to piracy, is against our rules. Cheers :3

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abe_949 said:

As @theSLAYER said, you should try to extract the save file nested in the ROM.

But before doing this you can try to extract the save file from the cartridge using GodMode9i (use the .nds version). Sometimes this tool works where GBA Backup Tool failed.