Are Pokemon and saves from emulators just as good as the real thing?

Narqui

I recently realized I could download roms for games I don't have and the file extension is exactly the same as a legitimate cartridge save's file extension.

I opened up my file in PKHeX from Pokemon HeartGold and threw my Cyndaquil onto my cartridge copy of Ultra Sun.

Is this Cyndaquil (or *any* Pokemon I were to catch on an emulator) exactly the same as the real deal? (If so that's wonderful considering you can speed up emulators dramatically for faster gameplay).

5 hours ago, Narqui said:

I recently realized I could download roms for games I don't have and the file extension is exactly the same as a legitimate cartridge save's file extension.

I opened up my file in PKHeX from Pokemon HeartGold and threw my Cyndaquil onto my cartridge copy of Ultra Sun.

Is this Cyndaquil (or *any* Pokemon I were to catch on an emulator) exactly the same as the real deal? (If so that's wonderful considering you can speed up emulators dramatically for faster gameplay).

No, not completely.

Read this:

• Like 1

Thing is, I know of this PID mismatch thing. However, I've caught a bit over 30 Pokemon so far and they all are "Legal" by PKHeX standards. (not showing Encounter Type PID Mismatch).

Edited by Narqui

EDIT: Ah. I see what it's saying. Any ROM isn't an EXACT copy of ANY game. It (they) really can't be. They are simply the work of good programmers making their best attempt to make a perfect copy of the original title(s). Which means that unless for some reason whomever (or the group of programmers most likely) coded the rom managed to mine ever piece of data and copy it 100% correctly, there are bound to be errors such as this.

So I suppose I just got lucky with the Pokemon I've caught so far. No big deal though, I'm doing this so I can get a legitimate Ho-oh with it's HA (which is the only game you can get it in). If I catch an error one, I'll just reset over and over until I get one that isn't a mismatch and has the correct nature.

@Narqui gosh no. I think you misunderstood the point of what I wanted to show you.

17 minutes ago, Narqui said:

Any ROM isn't an EXACT copy of ANY game

That isn't what we're talking about.

The problem isn't with the ROMs, rather the problem are with the emulators. They can't correctly emulate the CPU timings of NDS/GBA, and stationary encounters with Method 1 PIDIVs might end up as Method 2 or Method 4 IVs.

The ROMs "aren't a copy made by good programmers". The ROMs are literally data dumped from the carts. It's the exact same data. It's not "recreations" made by programmers.
However, your statement would apply to emulators. They decompile the data on the DS/GBA, and try to emulate the hardware limitations of these devices.

• Like 1

This just prompted me to do a quick check-up of my recent Leaf Green playthrough on John GBA (Android). Apparently, all of my stationary Pokémon are legal. Is this a known problem with specific emulators? I occasionally play the same save on my computer, with the latest version of VBA-M (Windows x64), as I have them synced through Dropbox. I intend to write the save into my cartridge in the end and transfer any valuable Pokémon up to the current games, so should I be careful not to catch any stationary Pokémon in VBA-M, or at least double-check them?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shady Guy Jose said:

This just prompted me to do a quick check-up of my recent Leaf Green playthrough on John GBA (Android). Apparently, all of my stationary Pokémon are legal. Is this a known problem with specific emulators? I occasionally play the same save on my computer, with the latest version of VBA-M (Windows x64), as I have them synced through Dropbox. I intend to write the save into my cartridge in the end and transfer any valuable Pokémon up to the current games, so should I be careful not to catch any stationary Pokémon in VBA-M, or at least double-check them?

I don't know if it's associated with a specific emulator, but it's a known issue relating to emulators.

Yeah, just double check the various entries of your stationary encounters.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theSLAYER said:

I don't know if it's associated with a specific emulator, but it's a known issue relating to emulators.

Yeah, just double check the various entries of your stationary encounters.

Thanks. If I don't get any flags in PKHex, I'm good enough to avoid having to double-check the IVs in RNG Reporter, right?

• Like 1