Kev-randar

Problem Invalid: Encounter Type PID mismtach (3gen)

1 minute ago, Sabresite said:

Mismatches on GBA emulators are due to vCPU timings and vBlank. The code is not set up the same way on Box.

Sorry, I don't see what you're getting at. You mean that we could test it on a GC emulator, eliminating the need for actual hardware, or that testing isn't necessary at all?

Oh I did miss something. The question is about the Ruby/Sapphire ROM on the Box. The playing on the big screen feature.

TLDR is, dunno, would have to test, anything is possible. Maybe even Method 3 depending on timing. That is if it's emulated through the GC itself.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sabresite said:

If the question is about whether or not Box on an emulator will produce PID/IV mismatches, then the answer is no, never.

Or did I miss the question?

The possibility was raised (based on anecdotal reports) that Box's inbuilt RS emulator, in and of itself, even running on actual hardware, might produce mismatches due to programming oversights by GF/Nintendo.

EDIT: saw your second message now

Edited by Shady Guy Jose

Mismatches are due to vBlank interrupts. vBlank will interrupt at inconsistent places depending on nature rolling and hardware/emulation used. Theoretically any Method 1/2/3/4 is possible. Stationeries are interesting because the likelihood of a non Method 1 on the actual GBA is near or exactly zero.

Edit: Also it is technically broken up into several sub categories too (first party pokemon ability not taken into account).

Method-1-1, Method-1-2, Method-2-1, Method-2-2, Method-3-2 (The 2 makes it Method 3), Method-4-2 (the 2 makes it Method 4)

Where the second number is the number of vBlank interrupts between battle start and end of IV generation. Generally the exotic ones only happen when fishing or in caves while playing on an actual cart.

IIRC, on some emulators Method-4-1 is possible due to bad timings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sabresite said:

Mismatches are due to vBlank interrupts. vBlank will interrupt at inconsistent places depending on nature rolling and hardware/emulation used. Theoretically any Method 1/2/3/4 is possible. Stationeries are interesting because the likelihood of a non Method 1 on the actual GBA is near or exactly zero.

So the question is whether Box's inbuilt emulator will produce vBlank interruptions, which are more easily detected in stationary encounters. Does this justify a Ruby playthrough on a GameCube/Wii? Some edge case legality checks could benefit from it, no?

2 minutes ago, Shady Guy Jose said:

So the question is whether Box's inbuilt emulator will produce vBlank interruptions, which are more easily detected in stationary encounters. Does this justify a Ruby playthrough on a GameCube/Wii? Some edge case legality checks could benefit from it, no?

I updated my post above. But short answer is yes definitely. The timing on the Wii especially is most likely different enough that double emulation will give weird ass results. Try it.

2 minutes ago, Sabresite said:

I updated my post above. But short answer is yes definitely. The timing on the Wii especially is most likely different enough that double emulation will give weird ass results. Try it.

Regarding the Wii: I was always under the impression (and said so earlier) that on actual backwards-compatible Wiis there was no emulation going on for GameCube games, just a CPU underclock. Is this not the case? If so, two playthroughs are in order. In two or three months, I might be able to do a Wii test, but I can't do it on a GameCube, so if someone has the setup and can do ir earlier, it would be much appreciated.

Just now, Shady Guy Jose said:

Regarding the Wii: I was always under the impression (and said so earlier) that on actual backwards-compatible Wiis there was no emulation going on for GameCube games, just a CPU underclock. Is this not the case? If so, two playthroughs are in order. In two or three months, I might be able to do a Wii test, but I can't do it on a GameCube, so if someone has the setup and can do ir earlier, it would be much appreciated.

CPU underclocking would be enough to cause weird timings. And the GC emulator may not play exactly by itself either. Then people will ask about Box emulated on PC running RS.. sigh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sabresite said:

CPU underclocking would be enough to cause weird timings. And the GC emulator may not play exactly by itself either. Then people will ask about Box emulated on PC running RS.. sigh.

And let me throw another spanner into the gears while I'm at it: there may be differences between PAL and NTSC versions due to the 50/60Hz video modes, which affect timings.

EDIT: I'm not sure whether the PAL version supports PAL60, but if it does, then it may be different from both PAL and NTSC.

Edited by Shady Guy Jose
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shady Guy Jose said:

And let me throw another spanner into the gears while I'm at it: there may be differences between PAL and NTSC versions due to the 50/60Hz video modes, which affect timings.

EDIT: I'm not sure whether the PAL version supports PAL60, but if it does, then it may be different from both PAL and NTSC.

Yeah all of this requires actual testing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sabresite said:

Yeah all of this requires actual testing.

Meaning 9 different scenarios (Wii, GameCube, emulator, each in PAL, NTSC and PAL60), of which 3 (the emulator ones) have only an academic purpose, while 6 are actually related to actual possible legit gameplay. I can help in a few months, but this is gonna be a LOT of work ?

EDIT: PAL60 isn't supported, but NTSC 480p is. However, that should not be any different from 480i regarding timings, so we're down to NTSC/PAL on GC and Wii

Edited by Shady Guy Jose
  • Like 2
  • Hahaha 1

Meanwhile I located the Multi Boot ROM. The SIIRTC function library is in it. While we are at it I think it would be nice to also confirm how Pokemon BOX RS seeds if it hasn't been done already. Both for the Egg Events and the Pokemon caught In-Game. I would recommend to use a cartridge with dry battery if possible... Little request from my side. :) 

• Like 2