Catching Articuno, Moltres and Zapdos in platinum

Lugiamaster

Use a fast Pokemon with Mean Look, Block, or Spider Web. They won't be able to run away after that, provided you don't switch your Pokemon. I used a high-level Umbreon with Mean Look and Baton Pass, so I could trap them and then switch to a more powerful Pokemon to weaken them (Mean Look's effect stays active when you use Baton Pass to switch). Watch out though, all three of them know Roost and aren't afraid to use it. What I eventually did was weaken them and put them to sleep, then ran away myself so that eventually all three of them were running around Sinnoh asleep and with 1 HP left. Then I hunted them down one by one and just threw Ultra/Dusk/Quick balls at them until I caught them all. It took me quite a long time.

1. have wobuffet at least 40+ to at least tank the hits.

2. start out with mirrorcoat/counter, if you kill, then reset your game and go look for them again

3. once weakened throw all your pokeballs until you get it

status effects help, sleep/par/etc. also at night as you can use dusk balls

Use a high level Smeargle and have plenty of Max Potions in store, with this move set (Make sure it's at least 10 levels above whatever the birds are). It needs to be very high so it can actually withstand hits:

Spore, False Swipe, Mean Look, filler.

Filler move can be a self-heal move, or Protect.

Start with Mean Look AND DON'T LET SMEARGLE FAINT, EVER. Also, don't switch out.

Spore it, then false swipe down to one HP. Spore again when it wakes up. This is because Sleep status is the best status to increase your chances at catching it. And unlike confusion, burn, and poison, it won't hurt the bird.

After you mean look it, you also have the option of tossing Quick Balls for the next 4 turns. From then on out, Dusk Balls are the best way to go (assuming it's night time), though Timer Balls will be equally as useful if you get past turn #40.

Wobbuffet gets points for trapping it in, but Wobbuffet will probably OHKO the Pokemon if it uses Counter/Mirror Coat and also can't provide status.

Dusknoir can Mean Look, but Pressure stalling increases the chance of it struggling to death.

I can't believe nobody mentioned Crobat yet!

Crobat has Mean Look AND Hypnosis, if I recall correctly. Plus, it's a speed demon. A Crobat helped me catch Zapdos and Cresselia, so... yeah.

Crobat is a very solid option for this task.

Yes, use a fast Pokémon with Mean Look, etc. Then put them to sleep, get them in red, run, and hope for the best when you see them again. And you can legitimately catch the legendary birds in D/P?!?!? Could you PM me/post here so I can know? That would help me a lot. Thanks people. :)

I can't believe nobody mentioned Crobat yet!

Crobat has Mean Look AND Hypnosis, if I recall correctly. Plus, it's a speed demon. A Crobat helped me catch Zapdos and Cresselia, so... yeah.

Crobat is a very solid option for this task.

The problem with Croabat is it's typing. It takes SE damage from electric (Zapdos) and ice (Articuno). Add in that Hypnosis' accuracy is 60%, and without access to False Swipe, and Smeargle becomes a better option.

Or things like Dugtrio/Wobuffet also work rather well as shadow tag and arena trap prevent them from leaving , Wobuffet gets special mention as he is not so easy to take down.

Dugtrio's Arena Trap ability does not work for Flying Pokemon or Levitating Pokemon. Wobbuffet is a nice choice to use though, or you can try Mean Lookers. Don't bother with Spider Web Ariados. Unless he is overleveled, the birds overspeed him and can run away before you can say "uh oh". However, Smeargle with Spider Web can work as long as he has been trained in speed. However, I'd recommend either Wobbuffet or Crobat with Mean Look. Unfortunately for Crobat, he goes down very quickly no thanks to his typing. Ice and Electric moves strike him super effectively and Moltres is no pushover either.

Another thing: if you were lucky and froze one of them or even put them to sleep, they can still run away despite that not making sense... yeah :-/

If Roost becomes a problem, have a speedy Taunter or a Heal Blocker so that they won't be able to Roost for a while.

You know what also helps? If you have a Ratticate or Pachirisu and it knows super fang, perfect. Just keep halving it's health till its weak enough to capture.

But that's only after trapping them with Mean Look, right? Unfortunately, the birds can use Roost, which will quickly demolish their efforts, and neither Raticate nor Pachirisu can really stand much of a chance against the birds, although Pachirisu is somewhat defensive for an electric squirrel.