Making an "All-Around" Team

As for my Lucario's moves, I'm thinking Aura Sphere, Close Combat, Dark Pulse, and Dragon Pulse.

Now to work on the EVs. :]

A mixed Lucario? I don't know a good set for mixed though, so hmmm... I'd go with either these:

Physical@Life Orb/Focus Sash

Adamant/Jolly

6 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed

- Swords Dance

- Extremespeed

- Close Combat

- Crunch/Ice Punch (latter due to move tutor in Platinum)

Special@Choice Specs/Life Orb <--- beware: Choice Specs locks you into one attack, but you will be switching often anyways so it can be a good choice

Modest/Timid

6 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Speed

- Aura Sphere <--- signature move, never misses!

- Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse <--- choose one. Shadow Ball + Aura Sphere gives perfect coverage while Dark Pulse can flinch... but Dark Pulse + Aura Sphere is resisted by Toxicroak and Heracross... beware of the latter!

- Vacuum Wave/Psychic <--- the former is from Riolu, the latter you can use if you don't care about priority or want to hit something like Heracross or Infernape on the switch

- Calm Mind/HP Ice/Dragon Pulse <--- use the first only if you're not using Choice Specs. HP Ice if Choice Specs... if it isn't HP Ice you can opt for Dragon Pulse

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A mixed Lucario? I don't know a good set for mixed though, so hmmm... I'd go with either these:

Physical@Life Orb/Focus Sash

Adamant/Jolly

6 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed

- Swords Dance

- Extremespeed

- Close Combat

- Crunch/Ice Punch (latter due to move tutor in Platinum)

Special@Choice Specs/Life Orb <--- beware: Choice Specs locks you into one attack, but you will be switching often anyways so it can be a good choice

Modest/Timid

6 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Speed

- Aura Sphere <--- signature move, never misses!

- Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse <--- choose one. Shadow Ball + Aura Sphere gives perfect coverage while Dark Pulse can flinch

- Vacuum Wave/Psychic <--- the former is from Riolu, the latter you can use if you don't care about priority or want to hit something like Heracross or Infernape on the switch

- Calm Mind/HP Ice/Dragon Pulse <--- use the first only if you're not using Choice Specs. HP Ice if Choice Specs... if it isn't HP Ice you can opt for Dragon Pulse

Ooh, the second looks good, Wraith. :) I'm enjoying the Aura Sphere, Dark Pulse, Psychic, Dragon Pulse mix. I think I forgot to go to Smogon for this one.

So let's see. This makes, so far: Vaporeon, Dragonite, Metagross, and Lucario.

Next up, I need a flying type. Or a pokemon that will be able to use Fly. (I don't want to constantly have to switch my team around just so I can go back to Jubilife!) *spends most of her after-game time in Jubilife*

Looking at Aerodactyl. I've loved him ever since that one episode in Kanto....which was epic. xD

Ooh, the second looks good, Wraith. :) I'm enjoying the Aura Sphere, Dark Pulse, Psychic, Dragon Pulse mix. I think I forgot to go to Smogon for this one.

So let's see. This makes, so far: Vaporeon, Dragonite, Metagross, and Lucario.

Next up, I need a flying type. Or a pokemon that will be able to use Fly. (I don't want to constantly have to switch my team around just so I can go back to Jubilife!) *spends most of her after-game time in Jubilife*

Looking at Aerodactyl. I've loved him ever since that one episode in Kanto....which was epic. xD

The cool thing about the second set is that people expect the physical Lucario so much that they forget Lucario is actually stronger on the special side... and they never see one most of the time.

As for a flyer... Fly isn't a good move competitively, but for in-game, I use my Tropius because flying dinosaurs are cool. Tropius can also learn stuff like Cut, Rock Smash and Defog to help out as an HM slave. Or how about you get those ever-so-common Starly as your flier. Staraptor isn't bad competitively either unlike his predecessor Pidgeot, who I think Gamefreak screwed up so badly (see one of my posts about this, I'll link to it once I find it). EDIT: Click here... it's that really long one.

I have an Aerodactyl and I would give you mine but my Wifi is down. You can look for an Old Amber in the underground (I think there are old Ambers there after you beat the E4...) And cool, you use a Vaporeon like me... that's awesome! BTW in that episode... Aerodactyl should have owned Charizard... but since the anime loves to deviate from what actually happens (like Goldeen beat Victreebel)... I got angry so I don't watch the anime anymore. I liked the Kanto series though.

Personally, I'd let go of Lucario. With the popularity of Stealth rock, all pokemon that depend on focus sash are useless (unless they're leading).

And uh... it's best just to switch, because Fly isn't really horrible in competitively battling.

Fly encourages switching... it's still not that great. The only usage it has is on something like Pressure Aerodactyl to Pressure stall... but Aerodactyl's stats don't cry "staller".

Lucario's still dangerous... Focus Sash'd or not because he is unpredictable somewhat. You never know if he'll attack physically, specially, or both.

hmm in the fourth gen fly got a power boost to 90 base, so it's a pretty good attack.

But lucario's a little over-used like seriously. Every decent team has at least one powerful fire type to deal with lucario, and so if you really MUST have him I'd suggest a ground type move on him, for practicality's sake.

*smiles* So next to fly, are there any real keeper moves to put on my Aerodactyl? (Obviously, as non-competative as the move is, as you guys say...it's still necessary for travel!)

So this makes Vaporeon, Dragonite, Metagross, Lucario, and Aerodactyl.

ONE LEFT! And then I can officially move to RMT!

*does as happy excited dance*

*smiles* So next to fly, are there any real keeper moves to put on my Aerodactyl? (Obviously, as non-competative as the move is, as you guys say...it's still necessary for travel!)

So this makes Vaporeon, Dragonite, Metagross, Lucario, and Aerodactyl.

ONE LEFT! And then I can officially move to RMT!

*does as happy excited dance*

My lead Aerodactyl has Taunt, Stealth Rock, Earthquake, and Rock Slide. Basically Taunt disables those people who like to use Stealth Rock or cast Hypnosis or whatnot, which are usually leads. Aerodactyl is one of the fastest users of Taunt in the game. Then he can proceed to Stealth Rock the opposing side. Rock Slide and Earthquake are extras really... Rock Slide has STAB plus has that chance of flinching which works well with his speed and Earthquake is to hit those annoying Electrics and other nuisances like Infernape. He also carries Focus Sash... but there are other viable sets for Aerodactyl. Would you like to know?

Earthquake sounds like a great move to have, so that'd be a second keeper for me! :)

Sure, I'd love to know more, Wraith

I keep Double Edge on my ROCK HEAD Aerodactyl... but it doesn't offer much type coverage. But then again, I'm the person who keeps Psychic on Gengar... (I need an Energy Ball TM... and at least I'm not using Sludge Bomb -__-)

There's also STAB Stone Edge for better power, but it misses sometimes and has 5-8 PP... and Aerodactyl can't afford that. Rock Slide is better for flinching and more PP... even if it does miss sometimes.

Heart Scale can unlock you the three elemental fangs, but don't bother with Thunder Fang. The only one worth using is Ice Fang... although Fire Fang hits Bronzong for super effective. Fire Blast works well against Skarmory for a 2HKO with minimal special attack investment.

In Platinum, you can teach Aerodactyl Aqua Tail to hit some Ground types, but the coverage is redundant with Earthquake.

You can breed with Murkrow or Spearow or something for Pursuit... which catches Psychics and Ghosts that flee. All in all, I think the lead set for Aerodactyl works the best... but I've seen some people use Cursedactyl in a Sandstorm making it somewhat of a tank on both sides with specific EV investments. It somewhat works, but that's not what Aerodactyl's meant for.

If you want to choose abilities, I'd go with Pressure, although Aerodactyl isn't a staller. Rock Head goes well with Double Edge, but it's not that great.

Although Aerodactyl is too frail to pull it off, feel free to use Roost if you want to recover HP... Subroost MIGHT work, but Moltres does that better.

Although Aerodactyl is too frail to pull it off, feel free to use Roost if you want to recover HP... Subroost MIGHT work, but Moltres does that better.

Sub-Roost is done much better by Flygon, who is immune to ground due to Levitate. It can also use STAB Dig to Toxic-stall and it'll still avoid Earthquakes while it's underground.

Moltres is a pretty horrible Roost user since it then picks up a weakness to ground, if it happens to move first.

Sub-Roost is done much better by Flygon, who is immune to ground due to Levitate. It can also use STAB Dig to Toxic-stall and it'll still avoid Earthquakes while it's underground.

Moltres is a pretty horrible Roost user since it then picks up a weakness to ground, if it happens to move first.

I've pulled it off SubRoost Moltres with the bulky set before... it works wonders if used properly. Unfortunately, you'll need a lot of spin support to get rid of SR.

Yeah, I'll agree with you, Flygon is good with that... but I don't use her for that purpose.

Aerodactyl can really only stall well in a sandstorm ( as he gets a +50% Special def boost ) but even then it's hard to pull off. Which isn't saying much as if played right you can sweep teams with pikachu or Bibarel.

Aerodactyl @ Choice band

Jolly with Pressure

252 Attack/ 4 Def/ 252 Speed

Earthquake

Stone edge

Pursuit

Fly

It functions the same as Choice specs jolteon reaching an Impressive attack stat. The three moves chosen are intended to hit things for at least neutral damage ( as choice items are intended to do ) Pursuit traps ANY thing weak against it as Aerodactyl is faster than ALL of them, except Deoxy's.

If Aerodactyl is still up late game and you know your opponents team, just like choice specs jolteon ,Aerodactyl is capable of running through teams who don't have an earthquake/Stone edge resist left.

With 31 Hp Iv's Aerodactyl hits an Uneven number so you can switch into SR 5 times, instead of 4. Just remember to put 4 EV's in Def, not Hp.

Just remember to watch out as SR damage builds up, and keep on the look out for choice scarf'd pokemon and BP scizor. :(

Aerodactyl can really only stall well in a sandstorm ( as he gets a +50% Special def boost ) but even then it's hard to pull off. Which isn't saying much as if played right you can sweep teams with pikachu or Bibarel.

Aerodactyl @ Choice band

Jolly with Pressure

252 Attack/ 4 Def/ 252 Speed

Earthquake

Stone edge

Pursuit

Fly

Even though Fly does get STAB, it's basically giving the opponent an opportunity to switch in their (steel) flying resist or physical wall. Crunch would be a better option for a late game sweep considering the 20% chance of lowering defense. The last slot rounds out coverage with Aqua Tail or an elemental fang.

Places that have defog are releventally easy to get through But sometimes they can be tricky.

But I really HATE missing when I'm not supposed to... that's how a HAX Pikachu destroyed my poor Roselia (her reputation shattered)... in the FOG because I would keep missing but that yellow rat would keep on hitting.

Defog isn't necessary but it helps... that's about it.