Sandstorm team #124553: The annoyance of Destati

upon a predicted switch Salamence players will still use a Dragon Dance, outspeeding even a 306 speed Lucario.

And what about the jolly/timid Salamences? You cannot take a chance and hope that your opponent is a bulky set.

A Pokemon can't be expected to work against every single set a Pokemon may run. That's why they're designed with the standard set in mind. Sure, Salamence MIGHT be running 252 speed EVs with a +speed nature, but considering that none of the standard sets do that, it isn't something one should prepare for.

But saying that base 90 with a + nature are outrun by base 100 w/ a neutral nature is just wrong.

Choice scarf increases speed, correct? I've noticed that my Lucario has been a bit slow on the uptake, and this has cost me.

On a side note, my Tyranitar took down a Salamence earlier today, eating up 2 EQ's and still surviving, which greatly surprised the spectators. Those changes really worked.

Lucario is a monstrous LATE GAME sweeper, so by then your team has taken out any pokemon that could give him problems or paralyzed the entire opposing team. Lucario is not the "end all sweeper" given the right set.

Why give him a choice scarf?!!? HE LEARNS AGILITY! Just switch in to something that can't do much back, Blissey without thunderwave? Anything choice locked onto a dark/steel/poison/bug/grass/ice attack will also do. Weak normal type attacks? He is rarely short of opportunities to come in and set up, while it doesn't pack the punch of the SD set, Agility + 3 special moves lets it do what you need it to. Unless being locked in HP ice and letting that Gyarados setup a DD is what your aiming to do?

Choice items server a very specific purpose, sweeping through teams is not one of them. Countering specific threats is always good, just make sure your not pursuit weak otherwise your just Tyranitar bait.

Well, against Gengar, you can pretty much forget about going first unless you're scarf'd, and only then if they aren't scarf'd themselves. Another problem is that you can't OHKO a Gengar with Shadow Ball unbuffed. It's a tough match. You might consider using Dark Pulse instead of Shadow Ball, however, simply for the fact that if you DO go first you may get lucky and score a Flinch on Gengar, clinching your kill (or a free hit on whatever switches in).

edit: Also, what Enkidu said. If that would be your route, I'd drop Vacuum Wave and add Agility, then change the item to a Life Orb. Just my preference.

Changed Lucario to hold Life Orb and have Agility over Vacuum Wave.

I'm not using wish and U-turn on Jirachi as much as I should be, so I was thinking about giving him a new moveset. Perhaps not, perhaps I will, I'll see how it goes.

Huh... I had no idea Lucario had Agility. That would work too.

If you use an Agility set, I think it's possible to go Mixed with Lucario. Just give him enough speed EVs to outspeed Choice Scarfed Gengar (probably the fastest thing aside from those Scarf'd Alakazams) after one Agility. You can dump the rest into Attack (but you'll have to go Hasty or Naive on this one). Is a mixed Lucario feasible?

~ Agility

~ Close Combat

~ Dark Pulse / Shadow Ball

~ Hidden Power Ice

184 Atk / 128 SpA / 196 Spe

Perhaps a Lucario like this, with either a Lonely or a naughty nature.

Smogon says that with agility, this Lucario will outrun Timid Choice Scarf Gengars.

~ Agility

~ Close Combat

~ Dark Pulse / Shadow Ball

~ Hidden Power Ice

184 Atk / 128 SpA / 196 Spe

Perhaps a Lucario like this, with either a Lonely or a naughty nature.

Smogon says that with agility, this Lucario will outrun Timid Choice Scarf Gengars.

o_O

I had no idea Smogon had such a set. Good find. :)

Lonely and Naughty both boosts attack power, so I guess that's fine.

As for the choice b/w Dark Pulse and Shadow Ball... Dark Pulse gives you the ability to flinch 20% of the time... while Shadow Ball gives you the unresisted coverage (Fighting + Ghost hits EVERYTHING in the game for AT LEAST neutral damage) and can sometimes lower Special Defense. Dark does almost the same thing, but Heracross and Toxicroak resist Dark + Fighting. It's your call.

Be careful though, this set loses SIGNIFICANT Special attack power (Life Orb does help alleviate things though) so do whatever you need with those attack/SpAtk EVs.

o_O

I had no idea Smogon had such a set. Good find. :)

Lonely and Naughty both boosts attack power, so I guess that's fine.

As for the choice b/w Dark Pulse and Shadow Ball... Dark Pulse gives you the ability to flinch 20% of the time... while Shadow Ball gives you the unresisted coverage (Fighting + Ghost hits EVERYTHING in the game for AT LEAST neutral damage) and can sometimes lower Special Defense. Dark does almost the same thing, but Heracross and Toxicroak resist Dark + Fighting. It's your call.

Be careful though, this set loses SIGNIFICANT Special attack power (Life Orb does help alleviate things though) so do whatever you need with those attack/SpAtk EVs.

The power doesn't matter as the goal is to hit things for super effective damage, mainly dragons and ground types that may switch in, or the occasional scarf gengar who dies to dark pulse/Crunch.