Drayden/Iris Double Battle

Heya folks, I've got an ambitious project - a double battle against both dragon leaders - in mind, and this brings up several queries:

1- According to this thread, people have found the Narc locations for NPC sprites and in-battle sprites, but is there any way to actually edit them? I was imagining a shot of Iris and Drayden standing side by side before you fight them. Putting the two sprites next to each other in photoshop should be an easy task, but extracting the pictures is where the problem lies.

2- how about the flashy, pre-Gym-battle close up portraits? Where it shows your face and their face and a bunch of cool blurred lines? Has the Narc location for that been found?

3- Is there a known way to insert a trainer sprite into a specific location? I was imagining putting an immobile, speechless "statue" of Iris right next to Drayden. You'd need to talk to the old man to start the battle, and the little girl would just stand there in order to show that you're about to fight them both at once. If it can be done for Gen 4 with PPRE...

4- Am I correct in assuming that I can use the PPTXT text editing tool to give both trainers dialogue before the battle, and Kazo's B/W Trainer Editor to turn Drayden's fight into a double battle with 6 dragons; 3 male and 3 female?

5- Is this an overall manageable pipe dream, or am I in need of a major reality check?

Cheers!

Edit: Oops, just realized that this might belong in the ROM editing and help section. My apologies to the mods - could you please move it there?

Edited by Abacus

i can tell you, is too complex and must more analysis about ROM, i now research called component , i used both debuger, no$gba debugger and desmume 0.9.7 latest SVN Build debugger, is very hard to find, many value i not understand :/ but is need a lot time to complete yet :)

maybe later release of kazorwar trainer editor, but is no battle editor! just pokemon trainer, and pokemon value, prize value, and type battle, but no mode battle (like dual player battle).

for change name you can use PPTXT.

i was complete list file of ROM Pokemon BW, so now i under working to translate ROM USA BW to my language is indonesia, and i change all resource into my language :)

please wait for someone to complete their analyze, thank you very much :D

I'm gonna have do disagree with you, Andibad. I think that all of the tools are out there already, and all that's needed is a little creative thinking and a lot of know-how.

I've done a bit more research, and have come a step or two closer to solutions to my initial questions. I still doubt that I can pull this off without the community's help, so here's a friendly call-out to my fellow board-members to share our collective wisdom!

Now, as to my findings on my original queries:

1 - There is indeed a way to change both the overworld and in-battle sprites of B/W trainers, as evidenced here. Sadly, the wise soul behind that video failed to explain what tools he used to do so.

2 - Ditto with the pre-Gym-Battle "mugshots." If only the ArcNecrotech fellow who posted the video explained how he pulled it off...

3 - It seems that my original idea of the "statue" Iris going to be a lot tougher than I originally thought. 5th Gen map hacking is apparently far more difficult, due to the higher usage of 3D elements. This thread seems to have the most advanced map editor currently out there, and the main programmer is nowhere near getting the info needed to make big changes to the Opelucid city gym, so it'd be quite the task to figure out where to place her.

Since we're working in three dimensions, somebody *might* might know how to figure out the X,Y, and Z coordinates of where Drayden stands, then place an inanimate Iris model one space directly to his right. This would also involve finding the Iris overworld sprite, saving her image as a new piece of terrain (or using it to replace one that we never see, if such a piece of terrain exists) before we insert it.

I do have another idea on how to get around this, though this one also seems fairly complicated. It's easy to notice that the Reshiram/Zekrom overworld sprites both fill four "spaces" instead of the usual one that's taken up by trainers, so we know that 2x2 sprites exist in the game's code. If somebody were to find out where the Reshi/Zek overworld sprites were located, we could copy them and modify the copies - an immobile copy of Iris' overworld sprite would take up one quadrant, Drayden's would take up another, and the back two would be be the palette's translucent color. The two trainers would form a single, giant, hive-minded entity.

If neither of these ideas pan out, it's not the end of the world. As long as they both get dialogue, pokemon, mug shots and pre-battle sprites, it'd be fairly clear that you're fighting both of them at once. Hell, give Iris some lines about how she likes to hide to surprise challengers.

4 - I've yet to dabble with PPTXT, but if it can be used to replace Japanese kanji with good old English letters, then it should be a piece of cake to tweak a line or two of dialogue. As long as it doesn't require very complicated hex editing, I'm confident that I can pull the dialogue changes off.

As for the B/W Trainer Editor, I can only say that Kazowar deserves a spot in MIT's code-writing department. My one qualm with it is the lack of gender determination - Drayden does use an all-guy team while Iris uses gals, after all. It'd also be nice to control pokemon abilities, but hey - I'm thankful for what I can get. I wonder if the "unknown" variable in the BWTE has something to do with it:

TrainerEditor.jpg

5 - Is this a manageable project or have I bitten off more than I can chew? Not a clue, but I pray to Odin that it's the former.

And so, my good folks, have you any clues as to how I might go about accomplishing any of these goals?

Cheerio!

TrainerEditor.jpg.6f5b0338c42ed294ffd146

As for the B/W Trainer Editor, I can only say that Kazowar deserves a spot in MIT's code-writing department. My one qualm with it is the lack of gender determination - Drayden does use an all-guy team while Iris uses gals, after all. It'd also be nice to control pokemon abilities, but hey - I'm thankful for what I can get. I wonder if the "unknown" variable in the BWTE has something to do with it

The unknown does; experiment a little to see what you come up with ;D

• 3 weeks later...

I think it has to do with scripting, because the only multi trainer battles are scripted in the game. All of the regular trainer double battles are twins, who share the same sprite.

There is a dual battle with Cheren against Team Plasma right after the first gym in the cave. If you can find that trainer ID for that event, it might help.

I think it has to do with scripting, because the only multi trainer battles are scripted in the game. All of the regular trainer double battles are twins, who share the same sprite.

There is a dual battle with Cheren against Team Plasma right after the first gym in the cave. If you can find that trainer ID for that event, it might help.

Oh i forgot for cheren double battle with team plasma :) so is possible two sprite, but is a script, and i don't know loaction of narc file for controled type battle., Kaphotics, thankyou for clue :)

IIRC there's a double battle against a biker/roughneck duo on Route 9 by the shopping mall, so not all double battles are against two identical sprites.

I checked the Wellspring Cave double battle with Kazo's Trainer Editor, and there are two separate entries, one for each grunt. They're number 62 and 63 on the BWTE list - is that what you meant by finding their trainer IDs?

IIRC there's a double battle against a biker/roughneck duo on Route 9 by the shopping mall, so not all double battles are against two identical sprites.

I checked the Wellspring Cave double battle with Kazo's Trainer Editor, and there are two separate entries, one for each grunt. They're number 62 and 63 on the BWTE list - is that what you meant by finding their trainer IDs?

The Roughneck Couple is actually one sprite, like how Cool Couples were back in DPtHGSS, instead of a 'Multi' battle, it's a normal double battle against 1 opponent whose name and sprite gives the appearence of 2.

So if I were to carry on with this, I'd need to know how to insert an all new NPC into the map. Nobody is capable of doing such a thing, correct?

However, there's still the somewhat simpler solution that I mentioned earlier in this thread. If anybody knew how to insert inanimate objects that only took up a single block of space, like chairs, signposts or trashcans, into the game's map, then I could rip Drayden's Overworld sprite and place it as an accessory right next to Gym Leader Iris. Dialogue, mugshots, in-battle sprites and double battles are all doable, so it appears to me that the only remaining obstacle is a bit of light map editing.

I haven't particularly studied or looked into map editing, but I've heard enough to know that Gen 5 uses a radically different graphics system than the previous games. It's certainly possible with the Gen 4 PPRE, but is there any way that some of those techniques could carry over into Gen 5?

So if I were to carry on with this, I'd need to know how to insert an all new NPC into the map. Nobody is capable of doing such a thing, correct?

However, there's still the somewhat simpler solution that I mentioned earlier in this thread. If anybody knew how to insert inanimate objects that only took up a single block of space, like chairs, signposts or trashcans, into the game's map, then I could rip Drayden's Overworld sprite and place it as an accessory right next to Gym Leader Iris. Dialogue, mugshots, in-battle sprites and double battles are all doable, so it appears to me that the only remaining obstacle is a bit of light map editing.

I haven't particularly studied or looked into map editing, but I've heard enough to know that Gen 5 uses a radically different graphics system than the previous games. It's certainly possible with the Gen 4 PPRE, but is there any way that some of those techniques could carry over into Gen 5?

Currently out of the reach of anyone I've heard of, so it'd take the discovery of some new information in scripting or map editing to begin to even attempt such a feat.