New member, needs serious help with making pokemon

Perentie Fan

I've read the guides online tons of times but they repeatedly don't address what I want to know about, I searched through these forums but often got only partial answers or answers that were confusing. I'm at the end of my rope essentially.

All I want to do is create some pokemon, preferably in my empty box 3 as the website says doing it in the box is better than directly making them in the party. What I really want is a step by step guide as to how to do this. All the guides here seem to leave things out.

Now I do want my pokemon to have legal movesets but I probably won't be doing much more than battling the in game trainers in the battle frontier (I own Platinum) unless I get the hang of wifi battling online.

I've probably confused you all by now so I'll just get right to the questions. Let's assume that the pokemon I'm making are all ones that will be hatched as apparently that is the better way to do things. Anyway, I'll go through each part I have a question on from top-to-bottom and from left-to-right.

But first a someone seperate question. The site says if my pokedex doesn't yet have the pokemon I make then it will not make entries for them when I do make those pokemon. The solution it gives is to make them into eggs, hatch them, and then use pokesav to make them the level/stats that are wanted. This sounds tedious and time consuming, isn't there are code that would simply let me have the pokedex completed? There were back in the days of Ruby and Sapphire.

Now to really begin:

1. Language: Do I need to enter English here?

2. Met in place: Day Care Couple is what I put here correct?

3. Hidden Hex value: In simple terms what do I put here for Platinum? I read a thread on this but was still left a bit confused because the main answer I could interpret more than one way.

4. Trainer ID/Secret ID: Do I need to enter anything here? If so how do I find these numbers? None of the guides on the site seem to address this. Is "input own ID" clicked before or after you put in your real numbers?

5. Generate/PID/IV: Which of these two buttons do I use?

6. Egg hatched at: Does my answer to this matter?

7. Moves: If the pokemon is being made to appear in a PC box then do I need to fill in the correct PP amounts for the moves? The guide only refers to what to do if they are being created to appear in your party.

8. Is egg: If I decided to make it an egg, what sections would I not fill out?

9. Once I press "okay" what do I do exactly? Do I need to save the box then and if so where and as what save type?

10. Once I get back to the main screen do I need to have any of it filled in?

11. When I press "Export ARDS" (as I am using an Action Replay for all this I think I press this) do I need to have the Action Replay currently connected via the cord to the computer? Will the code go directly to my "Action Replay Code Manager" or do I need to direct it?

12. Once it is in My Codelist on the Action Replay Manager, how do I add the code to my Action Replay without erasing every other code? As this is what happened the last time I tried to add a code to it. I think I understand how not to but I wanted to make sure.

13. In order to use the code I need to both check it off on the Action Replay activation screen AND press L + R once the game is on correct? Only then can I save and thus keep the pokemon I created, right?

Thank you for listening and I apologize for the length of the message. I wanted to make sure I was as detailed as I could be here.

Rather long post...

Let's assume that the pokemon I'm making are all ones that will be hatched as apparently that is the better way to do things.

It is better somewhat. A hatched Pokemon can have any PID/IV relationship. Wild/special/event Pokemon do not have this privilege.

This sounds tedious and time consuming, isn't there are code that would simply let me have the pokedex completed? There were back in the days of Ruby and Sapphire.

Supposedly, there is one for Platinum too, but it is missing some form/Forme data.

1. Language: Do I need to enter English here?

If the Pokemon you want to create supposedly originated from an English version of the game, yes. Some event Pokemon may have a different region though.

2. Met in place: Day Care Couple is what I put here correct?

Bit of a misnomer... so no. For hatched Pokemon, the Met in Place is the place where you want the egg to supposedly have hatched at, not where you received the egg.

3. Hidden Hex value: In simple terms what do I put here for Platinum? I read a thread on this but was still left a bit confused because the main answer I could interpret more than one way.

Well, the general idea of the hex values is for the game to figure out how and where you got that Pokemon.

I usually fill the 85h value first. Use...

00 - Egg/Pal Park/Event/Honey Tree (D/P/Pt)

02 - Tall Grass (D/P/Pt)

04 - Dialga/Palkia (D/P/Pt)

05 - Cave/Hall of Origin (D/P/Pt)

07 - Caught in the Water (D/P/Pt)

09 - Caught in Buildings (D/P/Pt)

17 - Giratina (Origin)(Pt)

18 - Starter Pokemon/Bebe's Eevee/Fossil Pokemon (Pt)

0A - Great Marsh/Safari Zone (D/P/Pt)

0C - Starter Pokemon/Fossil Pokemon (D/P)

... which are all copypasted from the original guide.

Fill in the 46h and 47h values next.

1. Grab whatever number Pokesav uses to refer to the Met in Place.

2. Dump it into your computer's Calculator and convert to hexadecimal.

3. Input the hex values into the 46h 47h values.

You can do the same for 44h and 45h, only this time, with the Egg Hatched At value.

Or just use DSPokeEdit. I believe it has an automated function for that sort of thing.

4. Trainer ID/Secret ID: Do I need to enter anything here? If so how do I find these numbers? None of the guides on the site seem to address this. Is "input own ID" clicked before or after you put in your real numbers?

You do.

If you're going to make the Pokemon seem as though you caught them in-game, the 'Input own ID' will input your player's IDs (as in, your player's Trainer ID and Secret ID) for you. Your IDs can also be found at the main screen.

If you're curious to know, the Trainer ID and Secret ID are there merely to make each player unique and allow the game to track which Pokemon originally belonged to which player. All the Pokemon you catch in-game will carry your player's Trainer ID and Secret ID.

Sometimes, you might want to make a Pokemon seem as though it came from another player. Just enter that player's IDs (if you know the IDs, that is).

5. Generate/PID/IV: Which of these two buttons do I use?

I hardly ever use the Generate button, so I don't know much about that. It is useful though, as you usually won't get a legal PID for your Pokemon, especially if they're not hatched (which is why hatched Pokemon are better for editing). You can use this to generate a PID if you don't care for illegal PIDs, or if the Pokemon is hatched.

After you've entered the IVs and Nature for the Pokemon, you can press the PID/IV button to bring up an empty list. Press 'Generate' from there to fill up the list with the legal PIDs corresponding to that particular set of IVs and Nature. You can choose a PID from there.

Just use the one that matches what you want. The algorith description may help in your choice.

6. Egg hatched at: Does my answer to this matter?

Yes. This is another misnomer, it's actually the place where you received the egg.

Usually, it's the Pokemon Day Care/Day Care Couple, but certain special eggs (like the Togepi one Cynthia gives to you or the Riolu one given by Riley) will have a different value.

7. Moves: If the pokemon is being made to appear in a PC box then do I need to fill in the correct PP amounts for the moves? The guide only refers to what to do if they are being created to appear in your party.

Yes. Unfortunately enough.

8. Is egg: If I decided to make it an egg, what sections would I not fill out?

I can't answer that. What extra stuff you do need to fill out, however, are the Steps Left (mind, whatever you enter in will be multiplied by that formula, [value]x256+[a]), Date Egg Received and Egg Hatched At.

9. Once I press "okay" what do I do exactly? Do I need to save the box then and if so where and as what save type?

You have to press 'Save' at the Main Menu to save all your changes, including Pokemon editing.

'Saving' the box means that you export all the Pokemon in the box as .PKM files. You can import these files into other boxes/parties later on. Think of those .PKM files as your music files and the boxes/parties you import/upload them as your playlists.

10. Once I get back to the main screen do I need to have any of it filled in?

It's up to you. The things there are pretty self-explanatory (i.e. money, Rival's name, Bag Edit, etc).

And up to here, I am utterly clueless, because I never use ARDS to generate Pokemon. Sorry.

I'll pick up where the other guy left off.

11. When I press "Export ARDS" (as I am using an Action Replay for all this I think I press this) do I need to have the Action Replay currently connected via the cord to the computer? Will the code go directly to my "Action Replay Code Manager" or do I need to direct it?

"Export to ARDS" makes an XML file containing the code that will make the modifications you chose to the game. You need to drag that XML file into the ARDS Code Manager to use it.

12. Once it is in My Codelist on the Action Replay Manager, how do I add the code to my Action Replay without erasing every other code? As this is what happened the last time I tried to add a code to it. I think I understand how not to but I wanted to make sure.

You can make a copy of the current codelist on you AR on your computer, then copy and paste the Pokesav code into a new code in that codelist. Then, copy it back to the AR.

13. In order to use the code I need to both check it off on the Action Replay activation screen AND press L + R once the game is on correct? Only then can I save and thus keep the pokemon I created, right?

Yeah, that's how it works.

Thank you for listening and I apologize for the length of the message. I wanted to make sure I was as detailed as I could be here.

Too many details is usually much better than too few.