PPRE Tutorial & FAQ

PPRE Tutorial & FAQ

Welcome to the Project Pokémon´s ROM Editor Tutorial and FAQ!

Please go to THIS TOPIC to download the newest version of PPRE.

This tutorial should give you all the information you'll need to get the programme working. Some extra information is given in CODE fields. You can ignore these parts of the tutorial if you already know how it works.

If you already have your map with the downloaded files and a Rom File, you can SKIP STEP 1. If you're uncertain if you did the right things, just read STEP 1 as well.

Tutorial

Step 1

First create a New Map. For example, go to My Documents, hit the right mouse button and select 'New > Map'. Rename this map to 'PPRE' for convenience. I'll call the new created map PPRE from now on.

The second step is to download the programme. Check the official PPRE Topic for a download link. What you actually download is a .ZIP file.

[size=3][b]Extra:[/b] [i]What are .ZIP files and how do I open them?[/i][/size]

With special programmes, you can create .ZIP files. .ZIP files make it easier to carry
different files; it compresses SEVERAL files to ONE file. For example; to get PPRE working,
you need 3 other files. Instead of downloading these 3 other files seperately, you can
just download them all at once via a .ZIP (''package'') file.
You can open .ZIP files with programmes like WinRAR or WinZIP.
Evaluation Versions of these programmes can be downloaded for free from their sites.
Just click one of the links below to go to their official site.
[list]
[*][url="http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm"]WinRAR[/url]
[*][url="http://www.winzip.com/index.htm"]WinZIP[/url]
[/list]

Open the downloaded .ZIP file with either WinRAR of WinZip. It contains 4 files, which should be:

• ndstool.exe
  • ppre.exe
  • Tabel.tbl
  • thenewpoketext.exe

If this is correct, select the 4 Files and hit the right mouse button. Now click 'Extract...' (or something like that, it might differ between the programmes). (Check the Spoiler for an image) A new screen opens. Search for your new created map and hit the Unzip / Extract button. The 4 files will be extracted to your new map!

helpfile2.png

You now need a Pokémon Rom. It has to be one of the following Roms:

• Pokémon Diamond
  • Pokémon Pearl
  • Pokémon Platinum
  • Pokémon Heart Gold
  • Pokémon Soul Silver

[size=3][b]Extra:[/b] [i]Where can I download a Rom File?[/i][/size]

Please remember though that Rom Files are [b]ILLEGAL[/b]. You may only use them if
you have an original copy of the game. I can't help you with downloading a Rom file as
they are illegal. NEVER ask for a Rom File
on this forum.

The rom has to be UNTRIMMED (untouched).

The Rom should be in a .ZIP file, too. You have to Extract the Rom to the SAME NEW MAP!

The following thing is very IMPORTANT. Open your new map where your Rom File should be. Now RENAME the Rom File. For example, if you have a Pokémon Diamond rom, rename it to: diamond.nds, if you have a Pokémon Platinum Rom, rename it to platinum.nds and if you have a Soul Silver Rom, rename it to soulsilver.nds, etc.! This might seem unnecessary, but it is very important.

What we have is a New Map (hopefully named PPRE) with 5 files (the 4 PPRE files and 1 Pokémon Rom).

Step 2

Now you have to open the ppre.exe file. Double click to open it. You should see the following screen (beta-number might differ).

helpfile.png

Follow the following steps to get the programme working. Never forget any of these steps or it will go wrong!

1. Step 1: type in the name of your Rom (which should be diamond.nds, pearl.nds, platinum.nds, heartgold.nds or soulsilver.nds) in the RED TEXT FIELD. With 'Red' I mean the red-circled field as you can see in the screenshot above. You have to add the '.NDS' suffix!
  2. Step 2: Now you click the green-circled button 'Set Rom'. A black screen should open. Please wait, it will take around 1 minute. Do not click anywhere during the progress. When the black screen goes away, you can continue to Step 3.

[size=3][b]Extra:[/b] [i]What is happening during Step 2?[/i][/size]

The ppre programme is now 'opening' your rom. It uses the ndstool.exe file to create
a temporary map, which is needed to edit your Rom. In your PPRE map, a new map
should be created, called: tmp_platinum if your game was Pokémon Platinum Version, or
tmp_pearl if your game was Pearl, and so on! This map is needed to edit with PPRE,
so DO NOT delete that map.

1. Step 3: it's time to edit! I might create a tutorial about how that works, too, but for now, you should be able to do it yourself! You can edit POKéMON, MAPS and TRAINERS. As this is a Beta, you can not edit ABILITIES, ITEMS, MOVES, etc. yet. Don't click that buttons.
  2. Step 4: ah, so you changed the things you like? You made Lugia evolve into Magikarp and Pikachu evolve into Arceus? Eh, nice. Now you have to save your game. Take a look at the screenshot. You see the blue-circled textfield? You have to enter the following: pearledit.nds if you were editing a Pearl Rom, platinumedit.nds if you were editing a Platinum Rom, heartgoldedit.nds if you were editing a Heart Gold Rom and so on!
  3. Step 5: now click the orange/yellow-circled button 'Write ROM'. Wait a minute again and take a look at your PPRE map. A new file called platinumedit.nds (or something else, depending on the rom you're changing) should be created!

YOU NOW PERFECTLY EDITED YOUR ROM! Thanks for using this tutorial! Happy Rom-editing!

[ --- I'LL ADD THE FAQ HERE VERY SOON AND UPDATE IT FROM TIME TO TIME, PLEASE HAVE SOME PATIENCE! --- ]

@ the Moderators, as my mother language is not English, be free to edit any typo's and spelling errors.

Edited by SCV

Really nice tutorial. The program is quite user friendly in my experience, and so long as you read the OP in the official thread/ the replies in the official thread you should get along just fine. Though it's nice to see everything done step by step, like you've shown above. :)

And you speak English better than most of the English people that I know (And I come from England! lol)

Really nice tutorial. The program is quite user friendly in my experience, and so long as you read the OP in the official thread/ the replies in the official thread you should get along just fine. Though it's nice to see everything done step by step, like you've shown above. :)

And you speak English better than most of the English people that I know (And I come from England! lol)

Thanks a lot for this comment!

I had some PM's from people on different forums and they all had troubles with PPRE. I had to explain it over and over and that's why I decided to create this tutorial. Even I had some problems to get it working, actually! I'm planning to add all the questions from the official PPRE thread to the FAQ.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment, hah!

Nice tut Oxnite! I've a question: How do you insert sprite, example I want to create a new pokemon. I edited his text, weight etc... But where I can insert sprite in .png to see it ingame? Thx. ^^

Nice tut Oxnite! I've a question: How do you insert sprite, example I want to create a new pokemon. I edited his text, weight etc... But where I can insert sprite in .png to see it ingame? Thx. ^^

You'll need a programme called PokéDSPic. If you want to do this on a Pokémon Platinum game, you should use PokéDSPicPlatinum. Just Google it and you'll find it.

Thanks for your comment!

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
excuse me,i want to know how to change trainers sprite,especially the gym leaders sprite

thank you ^ ^

There is a program that I have that allows you to edit the trainer sprites (excluding yours, your rival's, Gym leaders, and the Elite 4) I really don't use it much except to edit the names, but you might find it much more useful. Hope this helps! ^_^

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?bv02y45h3yij8yb

Also, how do you edit the title screen and intro video? I'm kinda tired of calling my game Pokemon Diamond when its not even close. And the starter images in the breif case. (sorry if this seems like alot, I just want to change these so that i can finish my game and not have to explain that "its not pokemon diamond" to every person i show this to.)

You'll need a programme called PokéDSPic. If you want to do this on a Pokémon Platinum game, you should use PokéDSPicPlatinum. Just Google it and you'll find it.

Thanks for your comment!

Do you have a tutorial for this? I cannot find one. All I get is "Let's Play Pokemon Diamond" and its annoying me to no end! Please help me with this.