Life Lesson (Dad Vs Son Conflict)

rinky

Ok, well yesterday I got home from school. I walked in the front door, I normally don't do that, but for some odd reason I thought I should. My dad says how way school today Aaron, I said it was good, and I asked how his day was, he said "same ol same ol" I said that's cool.

(Previous thing you should know)

Don't get this confused with real time, this is past.

1 Year 1 Month and 3 days ago I came home from school, (the day starting my Spring Break from school) and my dad had a box, with a hole going inside, a lock on the outside, next to my Xbox 360. To my surprise the xbox was locked up, I went upstairs and said wtf, and all that stuff, he said I needed better grades, I had decent grades:

English: B+

World Studies: A-

Adv. Algebra: C

Science: A

P.E.: A

Drawing II:A

I looked at my grades they where that, exactly that.

I was grounded for 9 weeks, that's how long 1/2 a semester is.

So I got my grades up on the 4th nine weeks, Went to 4 A's 1 B, and a B-.

All summer I played for a while, though he locked the xbox up every night at 11 or so. I normaly played Pokemon from then untill around 2 A.M.

For some reason I always had to do something to get on the xbox during the whole summer, whether it was sweeping the kitchen, mowing the grass, or mowing the neighbors grass. Every day I did something for it.

Ok, back to yesterday, I came home, I asked for him to unlock the xbox, he said nope, and didn't tell me why, I though it was strange.

I asked my mom, she said that he said something was going to change me today to her. she said ask him at 4, I did.

Last Spring he planted a tree, now he wants it moved.

He said he wants that tree *points* moved to the back yard.

I said that's non-logical; he said nope, it's a life lesson.

So it's raining and all, while i'm digging up this tree, i get about 3 feet down and I realize that this tree is freaking like 8 or 9 feet down.

I talk to him, asking for help, since it's so deep, he says no it's a life lesson, so I come in the house mad after about 2 hours, with my shoes all muddy, he says how is that tree coming along, I said how about you look and see, and I wiped mud on his shirt. He said now if I kill the tree i'm grounded from xbox for a month. That makes me mad, it's like 9 P.M. now, so I was like screw it, I'm going to bed.

I wake up today, sick as you can be, nose running, coughing up mucus, all that good stuff, I go to get in the shower, he chuckles. And that's all that.

So what exactly should I do and what should I get in return for this tedious task with a shovel that's 3 feet long.

I'm thinking he should remove the lock on the box forever, or until I get 'bad' grades again, and he should have to buy me a new pair of shoes, They are muddy beyond cleaning, it's inside and everything.

What is this life lesson? I'm saying to my mom that by the time I move out they will have an I-phone app that auto calls the tree transporters...

What do you all think? :confused:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow your dad sounds REALLY strict! I can't believe it! Anyways, maybe the life lesson is that you need to work for the things you want? It sounds correct, but if that's it, he's taking it much too far.

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

One question, does your dad yell a lot or is he just annoying?

I'd agree with pennypenny123. Or maybe the lesson is video games rot the brain??? What I would do is either

1. finish the task

2. write a written request stating your side of the story and opinion on the matter in order to unlock the box.

3. Yell and scream until parents give in (this could back fire on you)

I'd agree with pennypenny123. Or maybe the lesson is video games rot the brain??? What I would do is either

1. finish the task

2. write a written request stating your side of the story and opinion on the matter in order to unlock the box.

3. Yell and scream until parents give in (this could back fire on you)

Yup I agree. Although for #1. you seem to have given up on though. Yes I would only do #3. if you'd really had enough to the breaking point.

I do work for things I want.

I could understand if HE bought the xbox and the TV, but he didn't.

My dad yells at me a lot of the time, because I don't do things his way, If he asks me to weed whack, I always have my friend come help, or if he asks me to sweep the kitchen, I use the vacuum.

Lets say I have to read a book for 2 hours to get an hour of play time, after doing chores, I have to sit in the same spot for that 2 hours, not getting up, and making sure that I write about what I read. I always choose a book that I have read in school, or watched a movie about.

English: B+

World Studies: A-

Adv. Algebra: C

Science: A

P.E.: A

Drawing II:A

Heh, I get pissed at myself for C's, maybe even B's... I know i can do All A's.

However, that is kinda strict.

But, today, I grounded MYSELF for getting 2 D's. I am pissed, and I WILL bring those up, so i guess i will be off for a week.

I do work for things I want.

I could understand if HE bought the xbox and the TV, but he didn't.

My dad yells at me a lot of the time, because I don't do things his way, If he asks me to weed whack, I always have my friend come help, or if he asks me to sweep the kitchen, I use the vacuum.

Lets say I have to read a book for 2 hours to get an hour of play time, after doing chores, I have to sit in the same spot for that 2 hours, not getting up, and making sure that I write about what I read. I always choose a book that I have read in school, or watched a movie about.

That's crazy! Hey does he drink? That could be the problem if so. Or maybe he's got a personal prob. that makes him mad and he uses his anger on you?

I am taking all classes for the next grade level and my math for 2 grades up.

So I'm kinda ahead of the grades thing. My Cir. GPA is a 3.0, that's last year, and this year combined.

Yes, he drinks almost every night, and that's only when I get yelled at. He thinks i'm his problem, although everyone he knows and that I ask says drinking is.

I am at the point to where I don't want kids, just so I don't have to feel the pain of my kid(s) hating me.

edit again, I don't see why he wouldn't take me DSi, my Lite, or my phone, he bought me my phone and my Lite. @_@

That's too bad that he drinks. One of my ex-friend's dad drinks and he always seemed to be in a bad mood from what I heard from her. Yeah I can see him taking the Lite or the phone since he bought them but you used your own money on the XBox and TV you said! Too bad once someone starts to drink or smoke its hard to stop. Although I can't find a reason to start.

When it comes to grounding and punishment parents take away what is most valuable to the child. So which one to you love the most. It sounds like your Xbox because of what you do for it.

The drinking is definitely a problem. Are you living alone with your father. If so, if you start to fear for your life, tell a responsible adult...a teacher, police officer, neighbor, police officer, police officer....I mean drunk people can get dangerous.

He says he will tell me when I'm done.

I live with my mom, dad, and sister, she never gets yelled at.

I have already told him ever since I was 10, on my b-day that day, I told him if he ever hit me I would hit him back with 3 times the amount, and he agreed, and signed the paper.

Hm.....interesting... very interesting. Ok then...never mind about telling someone as long as your mom knows. Well...as for the sister. That is understandable. I have a plethora of younger siblings and if I'm involved in the conflict guess who the blame gets put on...yeah me. So I can understand that. However, my dad is not drunk....Have you considered getting your mom to vouch for you? Maybe she can help. Or your sister maybe......

(sorry about all the ....... I just love using them)

I have told people, they just go so? or stuff like that.

I know how to handle him drunk, it's just what do I do when he's sober to get him to unlock the xbox.

Honestly I'm one of 2 people I have ever heard of with a lock on a console, my friend on xbox has a lock on his PS3.

It's the most ridiculous thing ever

My mom always does, she doesn't have power in the house i'm guessing, whenever we do something it's always him making the rules.

Yeah, I understand. If I ask my mom something and it is something well large or she something then I go ask my dad. Except I dont like that because he is more liable to say know to what I want. My mom is a grade stickler and my dad doesn't care because he likes the grades I get. My dad is more liable to say no and my mom is more liable to say yes. So I can understand.

You might want to consider the written request thing. WE had a family rule saying no video games before school. Well, I hated it so much. I hounded and hounded. My mom said...."put it in writing" so I did I typed it out on word (size 14 font 2 pages long) and she read it. Laughed, said she would discuss with dad and then emailed it to him. It took a few days but it worked. There was a slight draw back but minimal to the reward.

To my dad, ANYTHING from a computer is a lie, he doesn't even read it.

I have to get a piece of paper signed by my teachers in ink pen, writing down my grades, because my grade cards are generated on a computer.

Yeah, my mom says yes to when I want to do something, but if it's big, she says ask your dad, and I don't even bother, I just say nevermind. and play DS

Wow, sounds odd. You are in a tough situation. I'm running out of ideas. Well, if you cant computerize it then write it free hand *faints at idea* I do everything on the computer and both my parents use the computer for their jobs. In fact they couldn't work without the computer. I find this revelation very odd.

What am I supposed to write?

I just tell him everything to his face, and he seems to agree with everything that I throw at him, unless it involves me playing xbox.

Today I came home from my friends and asked if I had to dig up that tree since it's earth day, he said yep, so I said he likes cock from other guys, and he said yep, and so I told him he was gay and like anal. he said okay son.

and I went downstairs to see where this thread is going.

Ok, well um weird. Your dad is um well......I dont even know where to begin. However, something needs to be done is this is the man leading your household. I dont know what to tell you about writing. Tell why you think it is unfair and counter their common arguments about locking your Xbox. IDK