Shinies and the Bug Catching Contest

Skyblade12

Ok, so Shiny bugs are worth more than regular bugs in the contest. That's simple enough. But is there also an increased chance to encounter shinies during the contest? I encountered a Shiny Caterpie during the contest (only level 7, so, even with the shiny boost, not high enough to rank). My first ever shiny (except possibly the red Gyarados, don't remember if I had gotten that one already or not) was also caught back in the original Pokemon Gold in the Bug Catching Contest (it scored second that time, even though it was a Weedle). Does the contest have a higher shiny encounter rate than normal random encounters, or is it just coincidence?

• 2 weeks later...

Shiny Bugs on the Bug Catching contest do not get a 'boost'. You can get the facts for how the Bug Catching contest is qualified by winning the Contest (Getting a Scyther, Pinsir, level 28 is the max I believe with full HP). I've won it all the times I've entered it (3 times), and I can show you the *.pkm of the winners. If you guys know something about shinies, you know they have some random combination of IVs which make them be (most of times), bad in stats.

What I am saying here is that, as far as I have noticed, the sum of stats plus the actual HP is what determines the score you get.

Cheers.

Shiny Bugs on the Bug Catching contest do not get a 'boost'. You can get the facts for how the Bug Catching contest is qualified by winning the Contest (Getting a Scyther, Pinsir, level 28 is the max I believe with full HP). I've won it all the times I've entered it (3 times), and I can show you the *.pkm of the winners. If you guys know something about shinies, you know they have some random combination of IVs which make them be (most of times), bad in stats.

What I am saying here is that, as far as I have noticed, the sum of stats plus the actual HP is what determines the score you get.

Cheers.

The game explicitly states that Shiny Pokemon are worth more in the contest.

Also, the highest Pokemon I have seen in the contest is a level 18, and every Scyther/Pinsir I've seen is 13 or 14. Where the heck did you see a level 28 one?

The game explicitly states that Shiny Pokemon are worth more in the contest.

Also, the highest Pokemon I have seen in the contest is a level 18, and every Scyther/Pinsir I've seen is 13 or 14. Where the heck did you see a level 28 one?

After the National Dex the Bugs get higher leveled, and Pokemon from future generations are added as well. I won with a full HP level 36 Volbeat today. However the new Pokemon will only appear on Thursdays and Saturdays (although Pinsirs and Scythers level 27-28 are still mixed in with the new crowd)... and Tuesdays will be the classical bug catching contests... only with higher levels.

And I believe the points are determined by the HP and the stats combined. I don't believe shininess factors in that much, if at all.

Shininess is just a number which would be a combination of IVs, your SID and TID. So, for the Bug Catching Contest, shininess is NOT an added value at all. Shininess its just numbers, and those numbers are still IVs between 0 - 31 and SID/TIDs between 00000 - 65535.

And again, what the Bug Catching Contest takes into consideration is the sum of the current stats (dictated by the base values for said Pokémon and their current level) and the HP for when it was caught. You should try catching a bug, then trying to get into the first 3 places, check your score and check if it coincides with what I posted. I am pretty confident it will.

Cheers.

Wrong. In Gen II, shininess was tied directly to stats. It no longer is. Shininess is a flag that is completely independent from every other value. The game's random Pokemon generator can only generate Pokemon with particular IVs, Nature, Ability, and Gender, due to the way the generator reacts with the SID and TID, but it is not a direct correlation. You can get every IV spread possible without getting a shiny.

By the way, did you actually catch a Shiny Pokemon and see if it follows the same pattern? If not, then you have no idea if shinies are worth more, do you?

It is Ace Trainer Abby, one of your possible competitors, I believe, who comments on the fact that Shiny Pokemon are worth more.

• 1 month later...